This fit 21-year-old ignored the flu. Then it killed him, mom says

1 minute ago, firey said:

Had the flu about a year ago. Bed ridden for 4 days and cough and runny nose for a month afterwards. Took no medication aside from 2 advil to relieve the headache after 4 days of it pounding. I let my body do what it was designed to do and I came out the other end perfectly okay. I am by no means fit nor do I live a super healthy active lifestyle. It was complete hell (fever, cough with bloody flem (google said could have been pneumonia like symptoms due to the flu), full body aches, pounding headache. I trusted my body to heal itself and it did.

Regardless of what people say on here, I don't feel the flu shot is effective at all. They make educated guesses and hope for the best. I've seen more people get sick due to a reaction with the flu shot than people it has protected 100%. I am sure most of the success of the flu shot isn't even caused by the shot.

I have never taken it, and in the past 15 years I've had the flu once. That's just my own experience and two cents.

Ummmm Thanks for your story? You correct there is no cure for the flu and the human body can ride it out. Personally, I would ask a doctor about a antiviral flu drug if got the flu. Why suffer longer and worse than need to? I almost never got the flu shot over the years and got the flu once as an adult. I am getting older now so it makes even more sense so have been getting the flu shot the last couple of years. I rather not get the flu nor waste a week of personal days at work having it. Why take the chance? Hell, I can get the flu shot for free and it takes like 15 minutes of my time.

You don't think the flu shot is effective at all? Are you a medical professional? Have you done legit medical research in regards to this ? No? No offense but why would we care about your opinion on the matter?

1 minute ago, alpha2beta said:

Facebook? Really? Don't use Facebook wouldn't know what you are talking about.

Yes, we know you don't know what you are talking about. Worse, people are giving you the correct information yet you are willfully choosing ignorance. #facepalm

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

Ummmm Thanks for your story? You correct there is no cure for the flu and the human body can ride it out. Personally, I would ask a doctor about a antiviral flu drug if got the flu. Why suffer longer and worse than need to? I almost never got the flu shot over the years and got the flu once as an adult. I am getting older now so it makes even more sense so have been getting the flu shot the last couple of years. I rather not get the flu nor waste a week of personal days at work having it. Why take the chance? Hell, I can get the flu shot for free and it takes like 15 minutes of my time.

You don't think the flu shot is effective at all? Are you a medical professional? Have you done legit medical research in regards to this ? No? No offense but why would we care about your opinion on the matter?

Apparently you feel your opinion is more valuable than mine. That means you are intimidated by my opinion and so you need to put it down to make yourself feel special. Hey I get it, it's hard some times to feel good about yourself. Don't worry though, there's help out there if you need it :)

I'm probably more educated on the flu than you. But what do I know, I am not a doctor.

18 minutes ago, firey said:

Apparently you feel your opinion is more valuable than mine. That means you are intimidated by my opinion and so you need to put it down to make yourself feel special. Hey I get it, it's hard some times to feel good about yourself. Don't worry though, there's help out there if you need it :)

I'm probably more educated on the flu than you. But what do I know, I am not a doctor.

Ummmm I wasn't really giving my personal opinion but following advice/information put out by countless medical professionals. LOL

I am curious... What did you disagree with in this comment to downvote it? It was 100% factual.

Edited by oldtimefighter

As to cancer ... my personal opinion is it's probably due to the fact everyone is vitamin D deficient unless they take vitamin D vitamins. Nobody ever goes outside anymore and if they do they wear sunscreen. Even then you have to be outside during a particular time of the day for the full effect.

from the interwebs 

"The two main ways to get vitamin D are by exposing your bare skin to sunlight and by taking vitamin D supplements. You can't get the right amount of vitamin D your body needs from food. The most natural way to get vitamin D is by exposing your bare skin to sunlight "

You can eat food that has in it, but to get a good dose you have to eat a lot of it. You can drink milk but you need to drink about 6 glasses of it. So I think everyone's immune system is in the toilet. That is why cancer is on the rise.

53 minutes ago, warwagon said:

As to cancer ... my personal opinion is it's probably due to the fact everyone is vitamin D deficient unless they take vitamin D vitamins. Nobody ever goes outside anymore and if they do they wear sunscreen. Even then you have to be outside during a particular time of the day for the full effect.

from the interwebs 

"The two main ways to get vitamin D are by exposing your bare skin to sunlight and by taking vitamin D supplements. You can't get the right amount of vitamin D your body needs from food. The most natural way to get vitamin D is by exposing your bare skin to sunlight "

You can eat food that has in it, but to get a good dose you have to eat a lot of it. You can drink milk but you need to drink about 6 glasses of it. So I think everyone's immune system is in the toilet. That is why cancer is on the rise.

Lack of vitamin D is the reason cancer is on the rise?

K...LOL.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

Now it's Vitamin D? LOL I agree that getting proper nutrition can reduce disease and sickness. I will also point out we already fortify certain foods like mike, cereal, and other things with Vitamin D but the flu is still prevalent here in the US. What did your reply have to do with my comment? No reason not to get the flu shot. When you secure your box do you just run an AV and firewall then call it day? No, you deploy a multi-layer defense right? The same with preventing disease and sickness.

I got the wrong vitamin the first time. so shoot me. man you're an agressive person. are you like this in real life to ? Guess what the flu is still prevalent despite the flu shot as well. since the flu shot prevents like a random selection of at best 5% of the strains. 

The flu shot can make you sick. not as sick as the actual flu. as for reasons not to get it. there's no reasons to get it if you're not in the risk groups either. you're still likely to get the flu and if you do, you build a better resistance than the flu shot does. 

it's just the flu, it's not ebola

Take your vaccines and immunizations against diseases, and take your flu shot if you feel you need it. but don't push it on those who don't feel they need it. I have better things to do with the time I'd spend at the doctors office getting the shot that likely doesn't protect against the strains that's around, and against a mere flu that isn't going to cause more than a couple of days in bed. 

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

from the interwebs 

Sunscreen doesn't prevent Vitamin D uptake.  And cancer usually doesn't care about your immune systems. there are some types that are initially caused by a virus, but even those I doubt would be affected by the immune system. 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:03 AM, warwagon said:

I should go to the doctor more often lol, last time I was there was 1997

Hell, I assume most guys, including myself, generally avoid the doctors unless it's really necessary.

I just chalk up the case in the topic to more of a fluke thing, as regardless if one is in shape or not, your still 21 years old which is basically ones prime and I would have to assume the chances of dying from a random flu at that age is quite slim in general and for a very high percentage of us in general for that matter.

even after reading the article... given what's said, don't sound like nothing out of the ordinary as I would assume many people would just ride that situation out especially if you did not get to a point where things started to really bother you. he just happened to be one of the rare cases that his body could not tolerate the general flu and died, sadly.

p.s. I see people talking about flu shots... personally, I think that's more of a $$$ thing for Big Pharma than anything else (it may help in some cases but for the masses it's clearly more of a $$$ thing than a real concern for ones health since nearly everyone is fine without the flu shot). to my knowledge, they say those flu shots are not guaranteed to work which I figure why risk taking a flu shot when your chances of dying from a flu is pretty slim in general if your health is half way decent in general. it's basically a question of who do you trust and I sure don't trust the general medical industry on some things even though, obviously, they are good in some areas. but as a general guideline... the less meds one is on (and the like) the better for your overall health in the long run (I realize there are some legitimate cases for meds and that's fine but some doctors seem to be quick to load people up on meds and that I am against unless it's really needed). some people just blindly do whatever the medical industry says on just about everything and I can pretty much guarantee that some things are pushed on the public more for $$$ than a real concern for someones health as I think some people are blind to just blindly believe everything they are told by the medical industry. I don't see what I am saying here as some conspiracy theory either and I am pretty sure there are plenty of people who feel similar to myself in this regard. hell, look at some of those drug commercials.... they portray them all positively etc when right in the commercials themselves some of them admit they can cause cancer and other very serious health issues and what those drugs are trying to fix is not worth risking potential cancer etc if you ask me. like the risk outweigh the benefits, at least in some cases. seems the standards are lower than they used to be (i.e. medical industry getting greedier) as I doubt a drug would be on the market back-in-the-day when it can cause cancer etc.

also, I don't know how true this is... but I heard doctors get paid more $$$ for prescribing more meds? ; if that's true, that's a conflict of interest. or some situations where you need a doctors approval to see someone outside of them and you can bet that's a bad idea as if they don't like say chiropractors for example they would just not approve it so you can stay with them etc either for $$$ or some pride BS not wanting to admit someone could do a better job than themselves in certain situations. basically a conflict of interest.

7 hours ago, firey said:

Had the flu about a year ago. Bed ridden for 4 days and cough and runny nose for a month afterwards. Took no medication aside from 2 advil to relieve the headache after 4 days of it pounding. I let my body do what it was designed to do and I came out the other end perfectly okay. I am by no means fit nor do I live a super healthy active lifestyle. It was complete hell (fever, cough with bloody flem (google said could have been pneumonia like symptoms due to the flu), full body aches, pounding headache. I trusted my body to heal itself and it did.

Regardless of what people say on here, I don't feel the flu shot is effective at all. They make educated guesses and hope for the best. I've seen more people get sick due to a reaction with the flu shot than people it has protected 100%. I am sure most of the success of the flu shot isn't even caused by the shot.

I have never taken it, and in the past 15 years I've had the flu once. That's just my own experience and two cents.

The flu is not one thing anymore than cancer is one thing. The flu is a general term for multitude of similar viruses with some more or less virulent than others. Your experience with the flu is not unusual, but your also not >65 years old or less than 10 I would imagine. You also probably are not immunocompromised and there is a good chance you did not have an extremely high virulent strain. The flu can comprise illnesses that are as simple if not less so than what you got all the way up to the Spanish flu that killed millions. It astounds me how many people go off their feeling on vaccines both conservative and liberal alike. This is the kind of nonsense unemployed people with nothing better to do spread on Facebook and is every bit as dangerous as political fake news if not more so. No Spanish flu in the last 80 years? Your welcome. But hey, if your going to hold these beliefs anyways, then I propose that watching Dr. Oz and rubbing some essential oils like lavender on your upper lip cures most mild ailments and improves vitality. Things work even better yet for your health if they have an "Oprah approved" and "non GMO" sticker on the package.

2007%20ESR%20briefing%20graph.jpg

Edited by sidroc

7 hours ago, alpha2beta said:

Naturally occurring and synthetic are molecularity not the same. Plus no one has any reason for why caner is at such a high more then ever, no reason it just happens deal with it. That's most anti science thing someone could say.

I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that cancer is indeed up just because I am on my phone and can't be bothered to verify that. Out of literally millions of possibilities, while presenting no proof or studies, you have found the answer and we should just accept on faith that its vaccines? You seem to be the one with a limited understanding of the scientific method.

4 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I got the wrong vitamin the first time. so shoot me. man you're an agressive person. are you like this in real life to ? Guess what the flu is still prevalent despite the flu shot as well. since the flu shot prevents like a random selection of at best 5% of the strains. 

The flu shot can make you sick. not as sick as the actual flu. as for reasons not to get it. there's no reasons to get it if you're not in the risk groups either. you're still likely to get the flu and if you do, you build a better resistance than the flu shot does. 

it's just the flu, it's not ebola

Take your vaccines and immunizations against diseases, and take your flu shot if you feel you need it. but don't push it on those who don't feel they need it. I have better things to do with the time I'd spend at the doctors office getting the shot that likely doesn't protect against the strains that's around, and against a mere flu that isn't going to cause more than a couple of days in bed. 

What's the point of your comment? Yes, the flu is widespread so the solution is to take the flu shot. LOL No vaccine would make it much more common. Do you even know how the shot works? One person who gets the flu can spread it to a number of people so one vaccine can stop more than one infection (your 5% figure is just incorrect and misleading anyway). Any understanding sinking in yet? I am being aggressive because you are posting stuff that is WRONG. You are going to get called out. You don't get sick from the flu shot (allergic reaction in rare cases). #facepalm No, the flu is not ebola (the only thing that is factually correct in your comment yet irrelevant).

No, you don't have to get the flu shot but don't pretend you have a good rationalization for it. Sure, risk suffering in bed for a couple of days while wasting some personal days at work AND probably infecting at least one other person. Sounds like a legit plan! Nah! I rather be a little smarter about it and spend 15 minutes and get a free flu shot and reduce the changes of that happening.

Get informed --> https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

Edited by oldtimefighter
  • Like 2

Even the FDA says the flu shot kills people.

"14 Within 6 months post-vaccination, 156 (6.1%) Fluzone High-Dose recipients and 93 (7.4%) 15 Fluzone recipients experienced a serious adverse event (SAE). No deaths were reported within 28 16 days post-vaccination. A total of 23 deaths were reported during Days 29 – 180 post-vaccination: 17 16 (0.6%) among Fluzone High-Dose recipients and 7 (0.6%) among Fluzone recipients. " Just read on page 6.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM305079.pdf

1 hour ago, alpha2beta said:

"14 Within 6 months post-vaccination, 156 (6.1%) Fluzone High-Dose recipients and 93 (7.4%) 15 Fluzone recipients experienced a serious adverse event (SAE). No deaths were reported within 28 16 days post-vaccination. A total of 23 deaths were reported during Days 29 – 180 post-vaccination: 17 16 (0.6%) among Fluzone High-Dose recipients and 7 (0.6%) among Fluzone recipients. " Just read on page 6.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM305079.pdf

Yup and you left out the next sentence

The majority of these participants had a medical history of cardiac, hepatic, neoplastic, renal, and/or respiratory diseases. These data do not provide evidence for a causal relationship between deaths and vaccination with Fluzone High-Dose.

. You are either unable to comprehend what your reading (which might explain your opinions) or you are wilfully ignorant.

Edited by sidroc
  • Like 4

Haven't read a Neowin Forum in 3 months. Of course, 95% of the comments here are 100% wrong, and idiotic. But keep pushing your tin foil thinking that flu shots and vaccines don't work. 

2 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

What's the point of your comment? Yes, the flu is widespread so the solution is to take the flu shot. LOL No vaccine would make it much more common. Do you even know how the shot works? One person who gets the flu can spread it to a number of people so one vaccine can stop more than one infection (your 5% figure is just incorrect and misleading anyway). Any understanding sinking in yet? I am being aggressive because you are posting stuff that is WRONG. You are going to get called out. You don't get sick from the flu shot (allergic reaction in rare cases). #facepalm No, the flu is not ebola (the only thing that is factually correct in your comment yet irrelevant).

No, you don't have to get the flu shot but don't pretend you have a good rationalization for it. Sure, risk suffering in bed for a couple of days while wasting some personal days at work AND probably infecting at least one other person. Sounds like a legit plan! Nah! I rather be a little smarter about it and spend 15 minutes and get a free flu shot and reduce the changes of that happening.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you. You're wasting your time talking to these people. They know more than professionals in the medical field and they'd rather walk around with tin foil on their heads and I'm sure believe blood-letting works.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

my 5% is wrong? nice of you to provide proof. the actual effectiveness varies, but it's BEST is 10%. 

the flu shot isn't really a vaccine but an immunization though. kind of the same but not quite.  and it only stops more if you're lucky to get hit qith a strain it protects against.  and even then you're only spreading if it you're bad at hygiene. 

No you're being aggressive because you're generally an aggressive person, again and again all across this forum. none of what I've posted has been wrong. well I did say the wrong vitamin once. but my information wasn't wrong.  YOU however have posted several wrong things in your crusade to attack anyone who disagree with you, including straight out denying the medical research posted in the british journal of medicine, which I trust more than you. 

You're more likely to be taken seriously and be respected if you actually act respectfully, and reply with facts and information instead of attacking people like some schoolyard bully and throwing out your own misinformation, though probably because you hadn't heard the Vitamin D research yet, but even when confronted with proof you fortify and ignore that and refuse to acknowledge that fact while keep going on about your own tangent and keep attacking and generally being abusive. 

Also I work in the civilized part of the world, where it's not a matter of wasting personal days. if you're sick you're sick. As for suffering, eh.. it's a little bit of fever and some toilet sitting... my wife would call any guy who complains about it, "man sick". 

and seeing as I get the flu like maybe once ever decade, which would be about the same with the flu shot. well with the 10% chance of hitting the right strain(on a good year) , it MIGHT be imrpoved to a whole once every 11 years... wooohoooo!

Give it to those who need it. I'd rather let my immune system actually use those couple of days to build some actual defenses of it's own that far surpasses that of the flu shot and lasts for far longer. 

5 hours ago, alpha2beta said:

So .6% of elderly people with advanced illnesses died within a half year of a shot and 99.4% didn't. If they all contracted the flu the death rate would have been far higher. Adding to the fact that most vaccine issues happen shortly after injection and these people had no issues for weeks.

So, again. What point are you trying to make?

3 hours ago, Chesterfield said:

Haven't read a Neowin Forum in 3 months. Of course, 95% of the comments here are 100% wrong, and idiotic. But keep pushing your tin foil thinking that flu shots and vaccines don't work. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you. You're wasting your time talking to these people. They know more than professionals in the medical field and they'd rather walk around with tin foil on their heads and I'm sure believe blood-letting works.

I'm not anti vaccine or arguing against medical professionals or science. everyone should get vaccines, anyone in the risk groups or feel they need it or have weak immune systems should get the flu shot as well. healthy young people aren't reccomended to get it. 

I'm arguing against people who insist giving the flu shot to everyone when even medical professionals recommend against that, at least over here where money doesn't control the medical industry. 

37 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm arguing against people who insist giving the flu shot to everyone when even medical professionals recommend against that, at least over here where money doesn't control the medical industry.

Citation please? I've yet to see a majority of doctors discourage annual flu shots for the majority of patients. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm not anti vaccine or arguing against medical professionals or science. everyone should get vaccines, anyone in the risk groups or feel they need it or have weak immune systems should get the flu shot as well. healthy young people aren't reccomended to get it. 

The flu vaccine also relies on herd immunity just like all other vaccines. That weak cough and body aches you think is a cold could kill a geriatric or immunocompromised person if its actually a mild flu. By not getting the flu vaccines, not only do you subject yourself to possible serious strains of flu leading to viral pneumonia, but you put everyone around you at risk. If you spend time around persons >65,children under 5 years of age or pregnant women you are putting them at serious risk. The reason you do not see more people getting the flu is smart individuals around you for the most part get the vaccine resulting in herd immunity (how many times does that verbiage need to be used before its understood?). The more people who are convinced to not get the vaccine, the weaker the herd immunity. I realize the CDC differs with the WHO on the matter, but the difference is only slight. The WHO recommends that anyone with contact with these risk groups also get the vaccines even if healthy. Do you have young children or elderly people in your life? If you do you need to consider people besides yourself.

Good article from a reputable source on the matter

Edited by sidroc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

my 5% is wrong? nice of you to provide proof. the actual effectiveness varies, but it's BEST is 10%. 

the flu shot isn't really a vaccine but an immunization though. kind of the same but not quite.  and it only stops more if you're lucky to get hit qith a strain it protects against.  and even then you're only spreading if it you're bad at hygiene. 

No you're being aggressive because you're generally an aggressive person, again and again all across this forum. none of what I've posted has been wrong. well I did say the wrong vitamin once. but my information wasn't wrong.  YOU however have posted several wrong things in your crusade to attack anyone who disagree with you, including straight out denying the medical research posted in the british journal of medicine, which I trust more than you. 

You're more likely to be taken seriously and be respected if you actually act respectfully, and reply with facts and information instead of attacking people like some schoolyard bully and throwing out your own misinformation, though probably because you hadn't heard the Vitamin D research yet, but even when confronted with proof you fortify and ignore that and refuse to acknowledge that fact while keep going on about your own tangent and keep attacking and generally being abusive. 

Also I work in the civilized part of the world, where it's not a matter of wasting personal days. if you're sick you're sick. As for suffering, eh.. it's a little bit of fever and some toilet sitting... my wife would call any guy who complains about it, "man sick". 

and seeing as I get the flu like maybe once ever decade, which would be about the same with the flu shot. well with the 10% chance of hitting the right strain(on a good year) , it MIGHT be imrpoved to a whole once every 11 years... wooohoooo!

Give it to those who need it. I'd rather let my immune system actually use those couple of days to build some actual defenses of it's own that far surpasses that of the flu shot and lasts for far longer. 

Why are writing essays now? Let's look at your first statement ---> "my 5% is wrong? nice of you to provide proof. the actual effectiveness varies, but it's BEST is 10%."

Wait for it... WRONG! Stop repeating stats you heard somewhere out of context. Here you go --> http://www.startribune.com/getting-a-flu-shot-is-even-more-important-when-vaccine-effectiveness-ebbs/469437943/  Hint - that was just one strain. Duh!

I should use facts? Ummmm i have been using facts and it's you who is saying stuff that is incorrect. The CDC is not good enough for you? Stop with the Vitamin D crap. It was like one study so they have to do more studies and I already said proper nutrition is a good idea to prevent sickness and disease.

I have an interesting life and prefer to use my personal days for other things besides being sick.

Sorry, I have to put you on IGNORE. It's a waste of time for me to read your comments and you prefer to remain ignorant anyway.

I wasn't going to tell you but now you ###### me off. They didn't cut you out of the Justice League movie because of running time issues. The other members think you are a joke and didn't want you in the movie. I know it sucks. Yes, you are going to be replacedon the team. Superman told me himself...

28 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Citation please? I've yet to see a majority of doctors discourage annual flu shots for the majority of patients. 

My doctors...

27 minutes ago, sidroc said:

The flu vaccine also relies on herd immunity just like all other vaccines. That weak cough and body aches you think is a cold could kill a geriatric or immunocompromised person if its actually a mild flu. By not getting the flu vaccines, not only do you subject yourself to possible serious strains of flu leading to viral pneumonia, but you put everyone around you at risk. If you spend time around persons >65,children under 5 years of age or pregnant women you are putting them at serious risk. The reason you do not see more people getting the flu is smart individuals around you for the most part get the vaccine resulting in herd immunity (how many times does that verbiage need to be used before its understood?). The more people who are convinced to not get the vaccine, the weaker the herd immunity. I realize the CDC differs with the WHO on the matter, but the difference is only slight. The WHO recommends that anyone with contact with these risk groups also get the vaccines even if healthy. Do you have young children or elderly people in your life? If you do you need to consider people besides yourself.

Good article from a reputable source on the matter

Not really, over here it's not common to get the flu shot unless you're in the risk groups. we don't tend to rush to the hospitals or health centers for every little thing.

So in this case, herd immunity doesn't account for much. 

as for if I have young people or old people in my life. if they get the flu shot, it doesn't matter if I get it, either they are protected, or they're still not protected because it's not a strain it protects against. 

If would only matter for old people I drop by .randomly who don't have the shot. and if I don't practice good hygiene.