This fit 21-year-old ignored the flu. Then it killed him, mom says

24 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Why are writing essays now? Let's look at your first statement ---> "my 5% is wrong? nice of you to provide proof. the actual effectiveness varies, but it's BEST is 10%."

Wait for it... WRONG! Stop repeating stats you heard somewhere out of context. Here you go --> http://www.startribune.com/getting-a-flu-shot-is-even-more-important-when-vaccine-effectiveness-ebbs/469437943/  Hint - that was just one strain. Duh!

I should use facts? Ummmm i have been using facts and it's you who is saying stuff that is incorrect. The CDC is not good enough for you? Stop with the Vitamin D crap. It was like one study so they have to do more studies and I already said proper nutrition is a good idea to prevent sickness and disease.

I have an interesting life and prefer to use my personal days for other things besides being sick.

Sorry, I have to put you on IGNORE. It's a waste of time for me to read your comments and you prefer to remain ignorant anyway.

I wasn't going to tell you but now you ###### me off. They didn't cut you out of the Justice League movie because of running time issues. The other members think you are a joke and didn't want you in the movie. I know it sucks. Yes, you are going to be replacedon the team. Superman told me himself...

Man for an old guy you need to grow up and become an adult able to discuss, act and argue like a normal adult person without attacking people, which is all you do.

but hey, welcome to your echo chamber where all you hear is your own thoughts. and even if you can't read this, my name has nothing to do with the comic book character. you know what they say about assuming stuff.... you should start doing less of it. 

39 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Not really, over here it's not common to get the flu shot unless you're in the risk groups. we don't tend to rush to the hospitals or health centers for every little thing.

So in this case, herd immunity doesn't account for much. 

as for if I have young people or old people in my life. if they get the flu shot, it doesn't matter if I get it, either they are protected, or they're still not protected because it's not a strain it protects against. 

If would only matter for old people I drop by .randomly who don't have the shot. and if I don't practice good hygiene.

I will agree that if you do not have contact with these groups it is safer to not get the flu shot. That said, I stick to the CDC on this one and believe the best EBP is for everyone to be immunized because your contact with vulnerable groups can not be predicted when in public. I will also concede that you have organizations which will say his is safe as well but that it is clearly not fully agreed upon as can be evidenced by the CDC taking a different stance. That said, it would be curious to see an analysis between countries that take the vulnerable persons and caregiver stance on the flu vaccine vs the CDC approach. I will search for such a study and modify my opinion if their are comparable outcomes in countries that practice flu vaccines in this form vs the United States.

Edited by sidroc

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

My doctors...

So, your answer is one doctor told you not to get a flu shot and didn't back it up with any medical data?

Edited by Joe User

12 hours ago, Joe User said:

So, your answer is one doctor told you not to get a flu shot and didn't back it up with any medical data?

I have had several doctors. and in flu shot season they only recommend it for old, sick and other risk groups. 

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I have had several doctors. and in flu shot season they only recommend it for old, sick and other risk groups. 

So do my doctors, however this is to do with availability and stock, allowing the at risk groups to get the protection they need first and foremost.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I'm not anti vaccine or arguing against medical professionals or science. everyone should get vaccines, anyone in the risk groups or feel they need it or have weak immune systems should get the flu shot as well. healthy young people aren't reccomended to get it. 

I'm arguing against people who insist giving the flu shot to everyone when even medical professionals recommend against that, at least over here where money doesn't control the medical industry. 

What medical professionals recommend against a flu shot? No Doctor, legit doctor does that.