Volume license and upgrade old computer

Hi
I have a computer from an old job running Windows 8 (volume license) and full 2013 office suite lying around. My former employer gave it to me after I quit. Now I want to upgrade to Windows 10 and start using it myself. I have administrator access if that makes any difference and have extracted the CD key.

Of course, I'm not too keen on buying a new full retail license and Office if that is avoidable, but at the same time I really want Windows 10 and clean it up from all employer settings, programs and stuff. 

I've searched for what I can and can't do with a volume license, but it seems to be a huge grey area. Anyhow, if I use the current volume license key, format the hard drive, install Windows 8.1 using the key and upgrade to Windows 10, can anything go wrong? I'm not sure how this licensing works and I do NOT want to cause any issues with my former employer.

And what about Office?

10 minutes ago, Southern Patriot said:

I'd do an upgrade to Windows 10 FIRST, let it activate, then format and reinstall Windows 10. That will allow it to remain activated correctly.

Ok, but this isn't connected some way to my former employer, right? Or all other computers sharing the same license? Do all computers have different keys, or how does volume work?

I've only dealt with retail licenses before and then everything is quite obvious

Hello,

Volume license rights are non-transferrable, so you will need to purchase a copy of Windows 10 for installation onto a new computer, not an upgrade edition.

That said, maybe the computer has a COA or PID key embedded in it for an earlier version of Windows (Windows 7 or 8) that you can use with an upgrade edition.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky