• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Registry Key and Average users Running Windows 7 with no AV or Windows 10 with expired trial AV.

+warwagon    13,025

What someone pointed out to me in a GRC newsgroup is that Average users Running Windows 7 with no 3rd party AV .. will (at least at the moment) no longer be getting monthly updates. Since Windows update is looking for that registry key put in the registry by a supported antivirus. The only way Average users will get the updates is if they add that registry key themselves.

Which I think might also effect People running Windows 10 that don't realize that the system came with a trial version of Mcafee which is hiding in the system tray and expired Months ago. Thus, defender is turned off and they have an expired AV that won't but putting that registry key on the system. I'm constantly working on the systems of average users that have Mcaffee running in the system tray that expired months or a years ago.

I was wondering when I was updating my Sysprep Windows 7 images the monthly updates didn't show up.

• Like 2

devn00b    59

Ok, so I'm bad at linking things in a nice way so sorry ahead of time for what is to follow (all these damn forums are different!). This may give you some more info. This includes the registry key, and a link to MS supplied AV that will make it "compatible".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/january-3-2018-windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software

• Like 1

jimmy_jazz    50

Can confirm, I have no AV installed other than Windows Defender on a Windows 7 box and the update is not offered. The registry entry in question >

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"

Does not even exist.

• Like 1

+warwagon    13,025

Here is a link to a reg file. Tried this on my security cam system and after installing the reg file the update showed up.

Warning, only apply this reg file if you have no AV on your Windows 7 system.

https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/QualityCompat.reg

• Like 2