It’s so cold in Russia that thermometers are breaking

The East Coast of the US has been inundated with cold weather for the last few weeks. With temperatures dropping to as low as 14 degrees in places like normally sunny Atlanta, local governments have been warning people to stay inside and travel only if necessary.

So you can imagine what kind of precautions the residents of Oymyakon, a village in the Russian region of Yakutia and the coldest permanently inhabited place on Earth, are having to take right now. Temperatures recently hit -62° C (-80° Fahrenheit), sufficiently cold that the town’s digital thermometer broke down. The conventional mercury thermometer, installed decades ago, only goes as cold as -50°.

Some local residents saw temperatures as low as -67° C, approaching the village’s all-time record of -67.7°, set in 1933. That was the coldest temperature ever recorded at a permanently inhabited place, and also the coldest temperature on record in the Northern Hemisphere. The coldest all-time temperature was below -90, recorded in the Antarctic by NASA using satellite data.

More....

http://bgr.com/2018/01/16/russia-oymyakon-temperature-record-low/

I remember being in -55° C and it hurting my lungs to breathe. I was wearing a rather insignificant amount of clothing because I was an invincible 17 year old at the time. I can't imagine -67° C feeling all that great on your insides. Luckily, I hear, at those temperatures wind just refuses to work anymore so at least there is no windchill to take into consideration.

-90° C... In Soviet Antarctica, Celcius minus you.

• Like 1

In 2014 SE Michigan had -43°F wind chills, and last week we were about -12°F actual. The lower peninsula record low is -51°F actual in Vanderbilt, near the top of MI's lower peninsula.

Spent the New Years weekend in the northern WI woods and normal temp hit a low of -21F and a wind chill of -40 something.  That was pretty brutally cold and hard to breathe in.  Didn't keep me from walking out onto the lake and ice fishing for a while. Put on your shanty panties, cover up all patches of skin, and then no big deal.  I had to wear some goggles since the wind was making my contacts freeze on my eyeballs, haha.  People were snowmobiling across the lake all weekend and that must have been pretty shivery.

-80F is just insanely cold.  Typical high performance winter gear doesn't stand up anywhere near that.

2 hours ago, astropheed said:

I remember being in -55° C and it hurting my lungs to breathe. I was wearing a rather insignificant amount of clothing because I was an invincible 17 year old at the time. I can't imagine -67° C feeling all that great on your insides. Luckily, I hear, at those temperatures wind just refuses to work anymore so at least there is no windchill to take into consideration.

-90° C... In Soviet Antarctica, Celcius minus you.

We recently had -25 with windchill of -35 here. it was hard to breath. I had a sore throat, so even with my hands over my mouth it was painful.

Same thing 5 days before is how I got a sore throat.

I am ok with cold temperatures, but over -15c please, and windchill is the worst. I'd take -20c stillness over a windy -12c

17 hours ago, Jimmy #1 said:

We recently had -25 with windchill of -35 here. it was hard to breath. I had a sore throat, so even with my hands over my mouth it was painful.

Same thing 5 days before is how I got a sore throat.

I am ok with cold temperatures, but over -15c please, and windchill is the worst. I'd take -20c stillness over a windy -12c

Got -18 F in N IL a week or so ago.  I don't mind the cold that much.  I just hate driving when it snows and dealing with users who apparently never seen snow before.  Makes the commute to and from work a PITA.

• Like 1