tabs question

Not sure I quite follow.

So when you open a tab (either by clicking a hyperlink or opening a new tab), you'd like the browser to close the tab that you originated from?

I can't think of something that would automatically do that, but surely the manual way wouldn't be too time consuming to do (depending on what the purpose of the question is, I guess)? So when you want to open a new set of tabs use the shift key rather than control so that they open in a new window, then go back to the original window and select the close icon?

If you had the same set of tabs each time, just put them in their own folder so that you can select the option "open all tabs."

EDIT: Although for the second part of my suggestion I have no idea if that would open each tab in its own separate window or not. I'll experiment when I get home.

3 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

May be i should use the word replaces and closes opened tabs with new ones. Does that make the question clearer?

The only thing I can think of is the manual method I mentioned above. Such a function has really limited uses so I would be surprised if you could find an extension that would offer to do this automatically.

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

Are you thinking from a resource point of view. So I have 10 tabs open, when I open tab number 11, it closes the oldest tab?

There's an extension on Chrome for that - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/xtab/amddgdnlkmohapieeekfknakgdnpbleb?hl=en

He might be thinking of that, but my understanding is the following:

- User has a Window open with tab 1, tab 2, tab 3 and tab 4.

- User goes to open tab 5, tab 6, tab 7 and tab 8 at the same time (think of a bookmark folder with the option "open all tabs").

- Tabs 5, 6, 7, 8 open, tabs 1, 2, 3, 4 close.

Interesting how two people take one thing and look at it completely differently :p Let's hope that one of us got it right ;)

More information please OP :)

Hmm Tab Mix Plus used to offer loads of features and it certainly sounds like it might have something you might be looking for, it's an add on for Firefox, but I am not sure it is "supported" in the latest Quantum version (v57). 

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

He might be thinking of that, but my understanding is the following:

- User has a Window open with tab 1, tab 2, tab 3 and tab 4.

- User goes to open tab 5, tab 6, tab 7 and tab 8 at the same time (think of a bookmark folder with the option "open all tabs").

- Tabs 5, 6, 7, 8 open, tabs 1, 2, 3, 4 close.

This is exactly what i mean.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Hmm Tab Mix Plus used to offer loads of features and it certainly sounds like it might have something you might be looking for, it's an add on for Firefox, but I am not sure it is "supported" in the latest Quantum version (v57). 

tried it but it doesnt do what i want. thx though.

18 hours ago, Bruinator said:

This is exactly what i mean.

I've just done a test in Chrome, and my manual way that I mentioned in my first post works and only takes a moment to do.

I have two folders on my bookmarks bar that each contain 3 bookmarks. I started a session, right-clicked on folder 1 and selected "Open all (3)." Then I right-clicked on folder 2 and selected "Open all (3) in new window." While those tabs were opening in a new window, I used alt+tab to switch back to the first Window and then either alt+F4 or I selected the close window option in the top right corner.

As far as I know, this is the only way to achieve what you want to achieve. As I already said, such a function has really limited uses so I cannot see there being an extension that would do this. There would be more occasions where you wouldn't want it to function this way than occasions when you would.

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I've just done a test in Chrome, and my manual way that I mentioned in my first post works and only takes a moment to do.

I have two folders on my bookmarks bar that each contain 3 bookmarks. I started a session, right-clicked on folder 1 and selected "Open all (3)." Then I right-clicked on folder 2 and selected "Open all (3) in new window." While those tabs were opening in a new window, I used alt+tab to switch back to the first Window and then either alt+F4 or I selected the close window option in the top right corner.

As far as I know, this is the only way to achieve what you want to achieve. As I already said, such a function has really limited uses so I cannot see there being an extension that would do this. There would be more occasions where you wouldn't want it to function this way than occasions when you would.

OK, thx for your time and effort Nick.