"The Whole World Is Sick And Tired Of US Foreign Policy"

+ctebah    3,160

According to four-star General Wesley Clark, in a 1991 meeting with Paul Wolfowitz, then-under-secretary of defense for policy at the Department of Defense, Wolfowitz seemed a little dismayed because he believed the U.S. should have gotten rid of Saddam Hussein in Operation Desert Storm but failed to do so. Clark summarized what he says Wolfowitz said:

“‘But one thing we did learn. We learned that we can use our military in the region, in the Middle East, and the Soviets won’t stop us. We’ve got about five or ten years to clean up those old Soviet client regimes, Syria, Iran, Iraq, before the next great superpower comes on to challenge us.’” [emphasis added]

This was certainly the case in the years that followed, as the United States used the pretext of 9/11 to attack both Afghanistan and Iraq with little to no substantive resistance from the international community. This trend continued as the Obama administration heavily expanded its operations into Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, and even the Philippines, to name a few, right up until the U.S. led a cohort of NATO countries to impose regime change in Libya in 2011.

At the time, Russia withheld its veto power at the U.N. Security Council because it had received assurances that the coalition would not pursue regime change. After NATO forces began bombing Muammar Gaddafi’s palaces directly, a furious Vladimir Putin questioned: “Who gave NATO the right to kill Gaddafi?”

Following Gaddafi’s public execution on the streets of Sirte, Putin’s criticism of NATO’s betrayal went even further. He stated:

“The whole world saw him being killed; all bloodied. Is that democracy? And who did it? Drones, including American ones, delivered a strike on his motorcade. Then commandos – who were not supposed to be there – brought in so-called opposition and militants and killed him without trial. I’m not saying that Gaddafi didn’t have to quit, but that should have been left up to the people of Libya to decide through the democratic process.”

No one appreciated it at the time, but America’s unchallenged ability to intervene anywhere and everywhere it chooses ended on that day. Fast forward to Barack Obama’s plans to implement an extensive strike plan against the Syrian government in 2013, which never transpired due  strong Russian opposition and widespread protests in the U.S. A few years later, Russia directly intervened in Syria at the request of the Syrian government and effectively implemented its own no-fly zone in significant portions of the country. Donald Trump’s April 2017 strike on the Syrian government was only conducted after his administration first notified the Russians through a deconfliction hotline set up to manage the Syrian conflict.

However, Russia isn’t the only country that is tired of America’s foreign policy, and the recent “emergency U.N. Security Council meeting” to discuss the current situation in Iran is a testament to that. Even Washington’s traditional allies cannot withhold their criticism of America’s desire to police the world.

“However worrying the events of the last few days in Iran may be they do not constitute per se a threat to international peace and security,” French Ambassador to the U.N. Francois Delattre said. “We must be wary of any attempts to exploit this crisis for personal ends, which would have the diametrically opposed outcome to that which is wished.”

Russia went even further, bringing up America’s own behavior and treatment of protesters as a counter-argument to the notion that Washington is motivated by human rights concerns in Iran.

“By your logic, we should have initiated a Security Council meeting after the well-known events in Ferguson,”said Russian U.N. Ambassador Vasily Nebenzya, addressing the U.S. delegation.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-16/whole-world-sick-and-tired-us-foreign-policy

DocM    13,428

The world should be tired of Russian paranoid psychopathy

+Zagadka    2,225

This will totally make Trump's super negotiations work better.

/s

+ctebah    3,160
6 hours ago, DocM said:

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doomsday Torpedo!

+FloatingFatMan    14,146
On 18/01/2018 at 7:24 AM, DocM said:

I'm sick of nuclear armed countries acting like brats in a schoolyard.

+Mirumir    5,522
On 1/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, DocM said:

• Don't throw nuclear bombs on defeated enemies (Japan, 1945).
  • Keep your word.
  • Stop trying to encircle or contain Russia.
  • Stop trying to mess with other countries.

Then, once we are on the same page again, that's when you accept that your unipolar world order was disastrous and it's now over and that trying to tip the nuclear balance in your favour is a fruitless task, then we'll talk.

Till then, you should save your criticism for army generals and politicians who use and abuse the Russian threat for their own benefit - getting more funds from the budget.

The latest this week is this British fella:

Russia is biggest threat to UK since cold war, says head of British army

Army chief calls for investment to keep up with Russia

Retired Account    7,185
6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Stop trying to mess with other countries.

Ahahahahaha pot kettle black.

+Mirumir    5,522

If anyone was stupid enough to think that they could carry out a regime change operation in a country we consider to be the cradle of our civilization, by installing an anti-Russian leadership there in Kiev, and for Russia to sit idly by - well, they were wrong.

+ctebah    3,160
4 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

Thank you for opening my eyes, before today i had no idea that Tyler Durden from Fight Club was a journalist. #FakeNews

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Matthew S.    263
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, Mirumir said:
  • Don't throw nuclear bombs on defeated enemies (Japan, 1945).
  • Keep your word.
  • Stop trying to encircle or contain Russia.
  • Stop trying to mess with other countries.

Then, once we are on the same page again, that's when you accept that your unipolar world order was disastrous and it's now over and that trying to tip the nuclear balance in your favour is a fruitless task, then we'll talk.

Till then, you should save your criticism for army generals and politicians who use and abuse the Russian threat for their own benefit - getting more funds from the budget.

The latest this week is this British fella:

Russia is biggest threat to UK since cold war, says head of British army

Army chief calls for investment to keep up with Russia

Think maybe Russia should also follow suit, look at was you've done with Chremia.  Russia has no rite to it.

+Mirumir    5,522
10 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

Think maybe Russia should also follow suit, look at was you've done with Chremia.  Russia has no rite to it.

Look at what they did with Kiev, twice (2004, 2014). They had no right to it.

People still seem to be missing a crucial gap in the story - that the Crimean referendum to ascend to Russia was a reaction to the Western-sponsored coup of 2014 - and who could blame them if the majority of them are getting their news from the American Pravda & Co.

kcbworth    932

What are your thoughts on Crimea and MH17 @Mirumir and @ctebah ??

+Mirumir    5,522
19 minutes ago, kcbworth said:

What are your thoughts on Crimea and MH17 @Mirumir and @ctebah ??

You could've read the post above you or recalled the exchange you and I had last year.

As for MH17 - it was the Ukrainian dispatchers' (air traffic controllers') and EASA's responsibility for allowing civilian passenger planes to fly over a war zone in the first place.

kcbworth    932
12 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

As for MH17 - it was the Ukrainian dispatchers' (air traffic controllers') and EASA's responsibility for allowing civilian passenger planes to fly over a war zone in the first place.

A war zone? Why was there a war zone?

I though Russia was just a cuddly little puppy that wants to be everyones friend?

+Mirumir    5,522
39 minutes ago, kcbworth said:

A war zone? Why was there a war zone?

Because the residents of Donbass (just like the Crimeans) refused to bow to the new nazi government in Kiev which Russia's western partners had been so kind to install there before.

I though Russia was just a cuddly little puppy that wants to be everyones friend?

Russia's alter-ego is a bear, cute and huggable only while hybernating.

kcbworth    932
25 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Because the residents of Donbass (just like the Crimeans) refused to bow to the new nazi government in Kiev which Russia's western partners had been so kind to install there before.

Funny, seems similar to the situation in the USA. Most of the country refuse to bow to a new nazi government in Trump-ludicrous-ville that his Russian partners had been so kind to install there before.

I know nothing would please a war mongering bear like yourself more than the American majority being shoved foreign arms (let's assume I dunno, German) to use against their own but see, that's just ######## ridiculous. But it's ok when Russia does it of course

+Mirumir    5,522
35 minutes ago, kcbworth said:

Funny, seems similar to the situation in the USA. Most of the country refuse to bow to a new nazi government in Trump-ludicrous-ville that his Russian partners had been so kind to install there before.

I know nothing would please a war mongering bear like yourself more than the American majority being shoved foreign arms (let's assume I dunno, German) to use against their own but see, that's just ######## ridiculous. But it's ok when Russia does it of course

A newsflash for you: the U.S. Electoral College elected Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States in 2016.

You should've taken my advice from last year more seriously and stayed away from politics. You only make yourself look like a ...

xendrome    4,747

Funny how one person's opinion is supposed to speak for "The Whole World".. idiot...

+Zagadka    2,225

Latest I heard was that Trump wants to build smaller nukes so he could use them more easily. :facepalm:

Anyway, as mentioned, "the world" is hardly a group that can make any kind of comment. America's foreign policy is kinda all over the place - some areas we say that we are isolationist, other areas we invade, other countries we fund, other countries we sanction, some areas we deem unworthy to pay attention to, other areas we deploy dozens of expensive military bases to, sometimes we'll fund philanthropy for, others we write off. There isn't much of a consistent thread beyond "self interest" in either American or most any other country's foreign policy.

PGHammer    350
7 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Latest I heard was that Trump wants to build smaller nukes so he could use them more easily. :facepalm:

Anyway, as mentioned, "the world" is hardly a group that can make any kind of comment. America's foreign policy is kinda all over the place - some areas we say that we are isolationist, other areas we invade, other countries we fund, other countries we sanction, some areas we deem unworthy to pay attention to, other areas we deploy dozens of expensive military bases to, sometimes we'll fund philanthropy for, others we write off. There isn't much of a consistent thread beyond "self interest" in either American or most any other country's foreign policy.

Zadagka - no military wants any part of holding territory that glows in the dark.  Not ours, the Russians, or anyone else's.  Also, the US does not use large single warhead nukes - and hasn't since Poseidon - for a very sensible reason - US ICBMs (and SLBMs) have the lowest CEP of those of any nation - which even the Russians admit.  The nuclear-capable CRUISE missiles are even MORE accurate; again, even the Russians admit this.  The United States wants to reduce the size of our warheads for maintenance reasons - maintaining large missiles is a GPB (we discovered that with Peacekeeper - the Russians discovered that with SS24) - that is why both sides negotiated those overlarge ICBMs away with START.  The missiles we (and the Russians, and the rest of the "nuclear club" still have) still must be maintained - and it's far from a fun job.  And as bad as the US and Russians have it, think about the rest of the "club" - it's certainly no picnic for the UK - and has indeed made for interesting debates at Question Time.  Do your homework and research those missiles that are still out there - and not just ours and Russians, either.

+Zagadka    2,225

I wasn't quite addressing nuclear policy, beyond that comment from Trump being stupid. Trump has stated that he wants to be able to use nuclear replies to non-nuclear attacks and has put a lot more money into building nuclear arsenals, mostly targeted at Russia and China. I don't think there is an actual threat of nuclear war, even from North Korea The whole thing is better outlined here by Fake Media

The REAL nuclear threat, off hand, was largely from sea launched and medium range ballistic missiles. ICBMs are kinda for overkill.

I'm far more concerned with the policy outside of nukes, which was all I meant to address in my statement.

+ctebah    3,160
2 hours ago, kcbworth said:

I believe that would be called Karma.

PGHammer    350
26 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I wasn't quite addressing nuclear policy, beyond that comment from Trump being stupid. Trump has stated that he wants to be able to use nuclear replies to non-nuclear attacks and has put a lot more money into building nuclear arsenals, mostly targeted at Russia and China. I don't think there is an actual threat of nuclear war, even from North Korea The whole thing is better outlined here by Fake Media

The REAL nuclear threat, off hand, was largely from sea launched and medium range ballistic missiles. ICBMs are kinda for overkill.

I'm far more concerned with the policy outside of nukes, which was all I meant to address in my statement.

That's not news - and Trump is NOT the only one to go there.  Part of the reason for the statement is that going back to Vietnam (and largely because of it) there has been a tendency for debate over conflict to devolve basically into doing very little or to do nothing at all.  No commander in chief (which is one of the hats that the President wears) can really operate within such a limited scope and get anything done.  It was the polarization OVER "what to do" that led to cruise missiles in the first place - and especially non-nuclear cruise missiles.  Still, there ARE times when conventional cruise missiles are NOT enough to take down a target - how many times has it taken tens of such missiles to make a target go away?  (Fire up your Google-fu and research "use of non-nuclear SLAM missiles by the United States".)

SpeedyTheSnail    875

I love how these cowards in these non-US countries aren't sick of dictatorships and murderous communists / Muslim extremists.

Here's my idea for a foreign policy: You don't like ours, you're on your own. Not a penny in aid, not one drop of American blood to defend your rights. We could save billions. Pull out of NATO and let the world fall into chaos like it has always been. If a country decides it wants war with us, we will retaliate with our full arsenal just to set an example, otherwise we won't need to occupy other countries to protect our interests, which would open these countries up to being occupied by Russia and China.

*Awaits the Neowin left to complain about what I just said*.