Boris Johnson suggests 'bridge' between UK and France

Boris Johnson suggests 'bridge' between UK and France

Boris Johnson has floated the idea of new crossing between the UK and France, tweeting that the Channel Tunnel could be "just a first step".

The UK foreign secretary reportedly raised the idea of a new "fixed link" between the two countries during a summit with the French President.

He said good connections were vital to the economic success of both countries.

The idea was greeted with some scepticism. Labour's Emily Thornberry said she assumed it was "not real".

Source and more

I never, ever, ever thought I would hear myself say this, but...I agree with Nigel Farage. What a waste of money this would be.

I just don't understand why :s

Between Flights, the existing tunnel and ferries, what would the benefit be? If we need to increase the volume of traffic, I'd have thought another Tunnel would be the easiest option.

We're in the process of leaving Europe which means this would create extra strain on our border controls. Given it's widely believed that immigration was one of the larger "issues" people voted leave on, why give the immigrants an easier method to get here.

• Like 2

The English Channel is the busiest shipping lane in the entire world. How're you going to manage that lot with a bridge blocking the way through, hmm?

Boris is just trying to stick his face into things he knows nothing about in a sad attempt at staying relevant.  Go away you daft  pillock.

So you voted to leave us and now you want us to build a bridge with you? I don't think that any European leader could even try to begin to explain this to European citizens. Money is not the only thing that matters. And, yes, I am very disappointed with you English people. There is a line beyond which you  couldn't still trust someone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Source and more

I never, ever, ever thought I would hear myself say this, but...I agree with Nigel Farage. What a waste of money this would be.

lol just heard him on Radio2 on the drive home and im the same, hate to admit it but i agree with Nigel.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, slear said:

So you voted to leave us and now you want us to build a bridge with you? I don't think that any European leader could even try to begin to explain this to European citizens. Money is not the only thing that matters. And, yes, I am very disappointed with you English people. There is a line beyond which you  couldn't still trust someone.

In fairness, it's Boris Johnson, and the thinking public (the ones who were outvoted regarding brexit) don't believe the crap coming out of his mouth.....

Think of him as an uncharismatic, unfunny, dull, and lying turncoat version of Jeremy Clarkson. :p

9 minutes ago, slear said:

oi, there are 45% of the UK who voted not to leave, and p.s. we aint all English over here ;) 

Frances Macron thinks its a good idea apparently.

10 minutes ago, slear said:

So you voted to leave us and now you want us to build a bridge with you?

The majority of voters displayed a desire to no longer be part of the EU, not to cease or impede trade with our neighbouring countries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skiver said:

We're in the process of leaving Europe which means this would create extra strain on our border controls. Given it's widely believed that immigration was one of the larger "issues" people voted leave on, why give the immigrants an easier method to get here.

thats the funniest thing and the biggest lie from leave campaign, we now take more "immigrants" than before Brexit, the UK have just paid France a sum of money to retain immigrants at Calais, and at the same time we have agreed to take more in.....you couldnt write this as a comedy......but this is real life.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Yes, but you're Scottish, you don't count :p

im a hybrid ;) English/Scots blood. and we know this, the entire scottish vote was remain...then when it came to it, the city of Londons votes outnumbered the whole of Scotlands votes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

oi, there are 45% of the UK who voted not to leave, and p.s. we aint all English over here ;) 

Yes I know that generalization is wrong in absolute, but you probably understand well what has been the emotive reaction to your vote here.

2 hours ago, Skiver said:

why give the immigrants an easier method to get here

Why not?  Explain to me what is wrong with immigrants getting here legally and safely.  Oh, did you mean ILLEGAL immigrants?

Just now, slear said:

Yes I know that generalization is wrong in absolute, but you probably understand well what has been the emotive reaction to your vote here.

If I recall, Scotland and The Republic of Ireland voted remain 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

The majority of voters displayed a desire to no longer be part of the EU, not to cease or impede trade with our neighbouring countries.

So you want the benefits without paying for them. Good for you (if you can get that), but this is a thing that I don't teach to my children.

Edited by slear
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slear said:

To who's vote?  My reaction to it was emotional at the time, but now we are where we are and have to make the best of it.

2 minutes ago, slear said:

So you want the benefits without paying the for them. Good for you (if you can get that), but this is a thing that I don't teach to my children.

Here's a thing - The UK had a good trade relationship with most of Europe before the EU.  Shocking isn't it?  Do you also not teach your children History?

And who suggested not paying for anything?  There are costs involved in all business ventures, especially those with other nations.

15 minutes ago, Mando said:

Frances Macron thinks its a good idea apparently.

Ah but the Scottish overwhelmingly voted to remain ;)

I'm in the same boat (or is it ferry?) as most of you, I hate myself for it, but I also agree with Farage... :o

Oh yes, I teach my children history but also how the past historic decisions affect the present and the future. The English decision will speed up the process in which a bunch of small countries are condemned to be only puppets in the hands of puppeteers bigger than them, your country included. What will be our future in a world where the big gorillas have any kind of big buttons to press?  An Europe that could overcome its (many) problems would have been a big inconvenience. As you pointed in your comment, this all an economic affair 

Edited by slear

38 minutes ago, slear said:

Not all of us voted to leave the EU you know.  Personally, I'm extremely annoyed at losing my EU citizenship.  However, as it keeps being said. We're leaving the EU political union, not  the European continent.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

I'm in the same boat (or is it ferry?) as most of you, I hate myself for it, but I also agree with Farage... :o

Don't look at it as agreeing with Farage. Look at it as I do... Disagreeing with Boris! :p

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The English Channel is the busiest shipping lane in the entire world. How're you going to manage that lot with a bridge blocking the way through, hmm?

Boris is just trying to stick his face into things he knows nothing about in a sad attempt at staying relevant.  Go away you daft  pillock.

20 rotating draw-bridges, each 1 mile long, back-to-back? :D

Pretty ridiculous even for Boris. The fact that he campaigned to leave makes it seem all the more so IMO.

• Like 2

Downing street have responded and the article has been updated:

Downing Street has said there are "no specific plans" for a bridge between the UK and France after Boris Johnson floated the idea of a "fixed link".

The UK foreign secretary reportedly ran the idea past French President Emmanuel Macron at a summit on Thursday.

But Downing Street said he had been referring to a panel looking at Anglo-French major projects.

Same source as original article.

• Like 1