Mouse and Keyboard won't work in Windows 10.

I'm running Windows 10 on a 5 year old Dell Desktop. Yesterday all of a sudden when I turned it on it booted into recovery mode. It then booted into Windows but blue screened. Booted into safe mode and it did the same thing. I moved it into another room and now it boots to Windows but the mouse and keyboard won't work. I've tried wired mice and keyboards, wireless, every USB port on the PC and nothing works. They do work outside of Windows (will allow booting to Bios  etc but not in Windows, I can't even enter my Windows password, so it's definitely a Windows issue. I also ran a hardware diagnostics and nothing was found. I also made sure all off the USB ports are enabled in the Bios.

Does anyone have any idea if there is anything else I can try, short of reinstalling Windows? Thanks.

2 hours ago, cosrocket said:

I'm running Windows 10 on a 5 year old Dell Desktop. Yesterday all of a sudden when I turned it on it booted into recovery mode. It then booted into Windows but blue screened. Booted into safe mode and it did the same thing. I moved it into another room and now it boots to Windows but the mouse and keyboard won't work. I've tried wired mice and keyboards, wireless, every USB port on the PC and nothing works. They do work outside of Windows (will allow booting to Bios  etc but not in Windows, I can't even enter my Windows password, so it's definitely a Windows issue. I also ran a hardware diagnostics and nothing was found. I also made sure all off the USB ports are enabled in the Bios.

Does anyone have any idea if there is anything else I can try, short of reinstalling Windows? Thanks.

You need to force a re-enumeration of all the hardware device drivers.

All of the following options will actually do that:

- delete ALL device drivers in Device manager

- do a "Windows Refresh" (keep apps, settings,documents can be selected)

- install the latest major update if not installed -> Fall Creators Update

- download a fresh ISO from Microsoft and run setup from the mounted ISO and select keep apps, settings documents etc

Or just install windows in 30 minutes by booting the ISO you downloaded.

You are missing a fundamental device driver which does NOT auto-detect for some reason.