Trying to connect to Ubuntu Server Hyper-V vm from a different PC in internal network...

I've set up Ubuntu Server on my Windows Server 2016 machine for educational purposes.

I know I can connect externally as I'm able to update / install packages.  I can ping the IP too

What I can't do is connect to it...

1)  Putty won't connect

2)  Can't connect to a Jupyter instance

It's been a while since I've dealt with this so not sure - should intranet connections be blocked?  Like do I have to somehow open ports on Windows Server for this to work properly?

4 minutes ago, AndyD said:

I've set up Ubuntu Server on my Windows Server 2016 machine for educational purposes.

I know I can connect externally as I'm able to update / install packages.  I can ping the IP too

What I can't do is connect to it...

1)  Putty won't connect

2)  Can't connect to a Jupyter instance

It's been a while since I've dealt with this so not sure - should intranet connections be blocked?  Like do I have to somehow open ports on Windows Server for this to work properly?

It is a separate computer. You can setup a remote desktop connection but otherwise it should have a virtual LAN which operates just like any server you would have on your LAN - i.e. you need to configure it.

Ok thanks.  Looks like I need to configure at the very least a ssh server

UPDATE:  Yeah, already have Putty connecting.  Now to figure out Jupyter

Edited by AndyD