• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

SLI or a new card?

mrchetsteadman    473

So does anyone even use SLI anymore? Is it still supported? Right now I have a EVGA 1060 GTX and while it handles everything pretty well, should I get another one for future games? I don't do 4K gaming, only 1080p so it might not even be necessary. What do you guys think?

Circaflex    3,433

IMO, two card solutions are not needed nor are they the easiest to deal with. I have run both, SLI and CrossFire and don't plan on ever running either again. Performance is never double a single card, the cost of electricity goes up as does increased heat. Troubleshooting is a pain in the butt as well. I just saw more fuss than anything gained from doing it. I'd rather upgrade my single card solution to the next beefy card. When multi-card works, it is great, however most games aren't optimized for it which requires you to do the optimizations for SLI/XFIRE to even be worth it. New games generally don't fully support SLI/XFIRE out of the box, if they do, it usually is ######-poor and might get fixed in two or three patches down the road. When it doesn't work, you really have to tweak your settings and like I mentioned earlier, it just seems like too much fuss these days. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 6

HoochieMamma    698

New card, Crossfire/SLI is too much trouble. I have a 7990 and I will never get one of these types of cards or a SLI/Crossfire setup again. Driver issues and game profiles and texture flickering, it's all too much of a headache.

• Like 1

Andre S.    1,923

Terrible idea, and especially now that video card prices are so inflated.

Wait until you have an actual need before trying to find something to satisfy it. It's hard to come up with practical solutions to hypothetical problems.

Also, SLI is basically deprecated technology at this point.

• Like 2

Snake89    239

Given that the GTX 1060 doesn't support SLI you have no choice but to get a  faster card.

• Like 1

Mando    5,116

a 1060 is more than enough grunt for 1080p gaming.

• Like 1

patseguin    1,240

Yeah what @Mandosaid. If you were wanting to do 1440p gaming or even 4K, I think a 2nd 1060 might be a good investment. Before getting my 1080, I ran 2x 670's for all the years and it handled everything I threw at it.

• Like 1

Astra.Xtreme    2,545

First of all, I don't think SLI is supported on the 1060, so you might be out of luck anyway.

I had SLI with a lot of my builds (460s and 680s), and never had any issues.  They were a great way to get a big performance boost at a lower cost.

Eventually I just wanted to go the simple route with less wiring, less heat and noise, and bought a single 980 several years ago.  I'm also in the 1080p boat, and the 980 still handles anything I throw at it, so I have no need to update it.  There are other annoyances such as Nvidia needing to add SLI support for every game and having to re-enable SLI every time you update the driver.  There's also the micro-stuttering thing, though I never experienced it.  Minor things, but they exist.

If price is a huge concern, SLI is a decent answer.  If not, then a single card is just all around more convenient.

• Like 1

Jim K    11,270
On 1/22/2018 at 5:22 PM, C-Squarez said:

So does anyone even use SLI anymore? Is it still supported? Right now I have a EVGA 1060 GTX and while it handles everything pretty well, should I get another one for future games? I don't do 4K gaming, only 1080p so it might not even be necessary. What do you guys think?

I don't think your card even has SLI fingers.

Anyway, as pointed out, I would just hold for awhile longer. Nothing you can get now would be worth the price over replacing the 1060.  1070s are going for 800ish...nope...nope.

• Like 1

Mando    5,116

correct, 1060s dont support SLI

and tbh no point upping to a 1070 or 1080 or ti tbh id wait for 2xxx series.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,559
24 minutes ago, Mando said:

correct, 1060s dont support SLI

and tbh no point upping to a 1070 or 1080 or ti tbh id wait for 2xxx series.

Will the miners go for the 2xxx cards?

• Like 3

Mando    5,116
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Will the miners go for the 2xxx cards?

Who knows mate.

Im taking all that news with a pinch of salt, pretty much all suppliers i use in the UK have plenty NV 10 Series stocks at normal RRP.

• Like 1

CrossCheck    305

I wouldn't even dare buy a new GFX card right now. Prices are about double original MSRP.

• Like 1

Jason S.    1,405

i think what im going to do is preorder a new card as soon as theyre announced (whatever the successor Volta card is). If you can lock in the price, then you're not paying the inflated price after all the miners get their hands on them.

• Like 1

Mando    5,116
11 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

I wouldn't even dare buy a new GFX card right now. Prices are about double original MSRP.

find a better reseller or buy direct, EVGa still charging what i paid for my 1080ti in 2017.

https://eu.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-cards

• Like 1

exotoxic    632
5 hours ago, Mando said:

Who knows mate.

Im taking all that news with a pinch of salt, pretty much all suppliers i use in the UK have plenty NV 10 Series stocks at normal RRP.

I doubt it's worth it in the UK with the cost of electricity.

• Like 1

Jim K    11,270
5 hours ago, Mando said:

Am I missing something?  Your EVGA link ... they are sold out (except for a £1,379,99 one).  The scan.co.uk website ... I didn't find anything less that $1200  (£849.99)

You spent somewhere around that on a 1080ti?  Seriously?  The MSRP for the 1080ti is (or was) $699 (£493?).

• Like 1

mrchetsteadman    473

Sorry for the delay guys, got REALLY busy maybe 30 minutes after posting this lol. Thanks for the advice.

Mando    5,116
On 1/27/2018 at 12:05 AM, Jim K said:

Am I missing something?  Your EVGA link ... they are sold out (except for a £1,379,99 one).  The scan.co.uk website ... I didn't find anything less that $1200  (£849.99)

You spent somewhere around that on a 1080ti?  Seriously?  The MSRP for the 1080ti is (or was) $699 (£493?).

no, i spent £600 on it, they retalied at £699 on release ;) and when i posted they were in stock at EVGA and at Scan for under £700 mate.

• Like 1