I ordered a new Microsoft mouse and keyboard (with fingerprint id)

The following two items from Microsoft aren't available in The Netherlands yet so I ordered them off Amazon US, and with shipping and customs fee it works out to what the euro pricing will be anyway, but I get them a little earlier, the mouse will go on sale here on Feb 14th and they are scheduled for delivery by DHL on Monday, Jan 29th :D 

Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse

51jPe1mQgVL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KRHJ7B/ ($90.83 excl shipping + tax)

- Available in NL from Feb 14 for €109,99

Microsoft EKZ-00001 Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID

71sqgqH2O7L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072QZ8B2P/ ($107.50 excl shipping & tax)

- Availability in NL unknown as of Jan 2018

I ended up paying €221.40 incl shipping + tax, and I just know the keyboard will be around €130 if it is released here, so overal not a bad deal. But has anyone got these yet and have any feedback? 

wireless-performance-combo-mx800.png

I am currently using the Logitech MX800 desktop for the past three years, and I have had to replace the keyboard once (own fault due to spilling water on it) and I also replaced the rechargeable battery in the mouse, which lasts on average for just about a week :| So I am looking forward to better battery performance!

In the past I have used Microsoft mice and I feel the quality has always been great, my favorite from years ago was the Explorer 4.0 wired mouse, and I already have a Sculpt Bluetooth mouse for my Pavilion x360 Convertible m3-u103dx, but I am hoping the multi-device support for the new kb + mouse will mean I can seamlessly switch from PC to laptop if needed (in the office anyway).

What do you guys swear by for Keyboard and mouse?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

It might just be the angle that the picture was taken on, and where the fingerprint reader?

Could be. The way it looks in the pic is as it has extremely shallow key travel, flat keycaps and sharp edges.

25 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

got fed up with changing the batteries

I have both wireless keyboard and mouse at home and work.. Logitech K520... and M310 here at the house.. Have to check the combo at work pretty sure its microsoft combo.. I had bought it myself combo was like 20$ or something.. I think I have changed the batteries in the mice like once.. I don't recall ever changing the batteries in over a year on the keyboards..

I am on mine constantly at work for sure.. And home... I am on it multiple multiple hours a day.. Not sure what the comments are about changing batteries - if your having to change a battery once a week something is wrong.. Or that system is broken..

1 minute ago, BudMan said:

I have both wireless keyboard and mouse at home and work.. Logitech K520... and M310 here at the house.. Have to check the combo at work pretty sure its microsoft combo.. I had bought it myself combo was like 20$ or something.. I think I have changed the batteries in the mice like once.. I don't recall ever changing the batteries in over a year on the keyboards..

I am on mine constantly at work for sure.. And home... I am on it multiple multiple hours a day.. Not sure what the comments are about changing batteries - if your having to change a battery once a week something is wrong.. Or that system is broken..

The Logitech MX Performance mouse is well known for having a crap battery that lasts only a couple of weeks with moderate to heavy use. I think it has a 500mAh rechargeable (off the top of my head). I regret buying it for the money it cost, but it is soooo comfortable to use :p

I also looked for reviews online (not a lot) for the keyboard but it seemed to do well https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-modern-keyboard-with-fingerprint-id-review/

I have just received the Microsoft Desktop 2000 keybaord and mouse, which I got for ~£30 from Amazon. I was only after the keyboard because I really like the typing experience on these types of Microsoft keyboards. I've used to have the wired Microsoft Media Keyboard 3000, but after many years of use, all of the key markings had come off and it was a bit of a state. I also wanted to go wireless, so wanted a similar keyboard. I have tried other similar keyboards from the likes of Logitech, but they just didn't compare to how this keyboard is for me. I think that the mouse that comes with the keyboard is pretty crap, it's quite heavy and doesn't fit as well in my palm. The worst of it is that it is quite jumpy around the screen. Considering I wanted to play PC games with it, it wasn't good enough.

So for the mouse, I have also just received the Logitech G703 wireless mouse. It was quite expensive, but it is very good. It is a nice fit in my hand and glides nicely. It is smooth to use and three different preset DPI settings. The RGB on the mouse isn't either here nor there. I may turn if off if it causes the mouse to get warm in my palm. It doesn't have a million buttons, which is great because I don't want more than three normal buttons and back/forward buttons. It also comes with a small weight for those that like heavier mice. It is also rechargable, which is great, meaning I don't have to faff around with batteries and it can also be used as a wired mouse whilst recharging.

Microsoft Desktop 2000

e3068e71-180d-47dd-a51a-e368f5d72ed3.jpg

Logitech G703

5877913_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

71GcJr3h9VL._SL1500_.jpg

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I only had to change the keyboard battery like twice a year but the mouse it was like every 3 weeks just before I got this new set of keyboard and mouse. The keyboard/mouse I had before this new set is Microsoft Wireless 700 v2.0.

I agree, I have had wired and wireless Microsoft keyboards in the past (I think the 3000) the only downside to them is the glossy black finish easily getting scratched and worn with the letters and numbers on the keys wearing off really quick - they age rather quickly.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

What do you guys swear by for Keyboard and mouse?

Workwise I swear by MS keyboards and mice for myself and the estate, IMO no other brand lasts like MS combos do.

At home im a Razer man.

Razer Death Adder Left hand mouse and Razer Chroma v2 mech keyboard. (silly price but i won £160 PC world voucher in work for one of my projects) You could do someones face some serious damage with the keyboard ala Salt movie! :p it weighs a ton! Doesnt move on the desk either.

03_1_3_2_2_m.thumb.jpg.9e54d1fdd4af537e34ce3a8acf278dd9.jpg

5588907_rd.thumb.jpg.14cbaa466f19b37841e523bf6712c2e8.jpg

Ive locked keyboard on Blue, to match mouse and PC innards.

Logitech K740, the first version without the gaming nerf.

LOGITECH_K740_03.png

Logitech G602, with custom 50 mils. switches, because Logitech's were pure crap.

Logitech-G602-1.jpg

..and the king of all mice Logitech MX Revolution, also with custom switches.   

log_mx_revolution_001.jpeg.

I don't know - my batteries are not recharge they are just typical duracel AA in the mouse (1) and keyboard has 2.. What I can tell you is have not changed these in months and months and months.. I do not turn them off even though they both have switches to be able to do that, they just run and run.. Maybe it has something to do with distance.. Mine are not far from the little receiver dongle you plug into the computer.

Shame you guys are having battery issues - I have been nothing but impressed with the life of these for sure..   But next time I change the batteries I will be sure to mark the date in cal so can track them.. As you can see currently these show fine.. Might of replaced them early summer?  Its been months is all I can recall.

batterycharge.thumb.png.848b7d47a1d2b4a0b8bbbf7b53001829.png

If I had to rate my usage level - I am on them hours a day.. Way more than your typical user that is for sure ;)  And the work system is 8 hours a day 5 days a week, min..

The surface products are nice, but they aren't black, which means they aren't for me.

I'm a bit like Lego Batman in that way :D

Same here with Logitech I keep checking the batteries but they seem to last a veryyyyyy long time 10  months or more. Can't even remember the last time I changed them. Never turn them off they just go into sleep mode when not used.

K360 KB

M570 Trackball

9 hours ago, BudMan said:

I don't know - my batteries are not recharge they are just typical duracel AA in the mouse (1) and keyboard has 2.. What I can tell you is have not changed these in months and months and months.. I do not turn them off even though they both have switches to be able to do that, they just run and run.. Maybe it has something to do with distance.. Mine are not far from the little receiver dongle you plug into the computer.

Shame you guys are having battery issues - I have been nothing but impressed with the life of these for sure..   But next time I change the batteries I will be sure to mark the date in cal so can track them.. As you can see currently these show fine.. Might of replaced them early summer?  Its been months is all I can recall.

batterycharge.thumb.png.848b7d47a1d2b4a0b8bbbf7b53001829.png

If I had to rate my usage level - I am on them hours a day.. Way more than your typical user that is for sure ;)  And the work system is 8 hours a day 5 days a week, min..

You are lucky to have software that can track the battery level. My old mouse needed 2 batteries and same with the keyboard as well.

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

This is basically the keyboard I'm using. It's not quite as quiet as Dell claims:

kjJRtM2.jpg

HA!  I have exact same keyboard as yours.   

Wait a min.. let me check and see if you aren't stealing it from my office..   

If I find out it's missing, I'd smash you flat with a mallet. 

:p 

1 minute ago, TAZMINATOR said:

HA!  I have exact same keyboard as yours.   

Wait a min.. let me check and see if you aren't stealing it from my office..   

If I find out it's missing, I'd smash you flat with a mallet. 

:p 

You'll still have yours. The picture is taken from Google Images. :p

Just now, TAZMINATOR said:

I have same design and brand but different model.

Mine's is slightly different from the above image too. It has tint of yellow, which I don't remember it having when I first bought the keyboard.