Formula 1 World Championship 2018 Season Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

This can't be serious? Absolutely correct, I was about to say it wouldn't sound out of place in the next Avengers movie, then I googled Brian Tyler...

Avengers Age of Ultron, Iron man 3, Thor The Dark World - yep, absolutely generic superhero music.

RIP - I can still hear you saying, You would never break the chain :(

19 minutes ago, Skiver said:

RIP - I can still hear you saying, You would never break the chain :(

Relax, that'll still be around in Channel 4's coverage, and likewise, Sky will still use "Just Drive". That new theme's replacing the start of the FIA's coverage...

...although with the new theme being a full-length one, they might be going the Formula E route this season and having it play during the grid walk, maybe even during the highlights, too.

15 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

Relax, that'll still be around in Channel 4's coverage, and likewise, Sky will still use "Just Drive". That new theme's replacing the start of the FIA's coverage...

<SNIP>

...although with the new theme being a full-length one, they might be going the Formula E route this season and having it play during the grid walk, maybe even during the highlights, too.

Don't play that!!!

Don't judge me but that is the music that tells me I need to go to the toilet, it's sort of a habit now and whilst I know it has no effect on the race I have to do it otherwise I'm dooming Hamilton to a bad race. Now I'm sat at work wanting to go to the toilet but not needing it!

• Like 2

Melbourne gets extra DRS zone for F1 season opener

Traditionally, tracks have one or two DRS zones, but in a bid to further increase overtaking at a track where it is traditionally difficult, F1's governing body the FIA has created a third for the first time at Albert Park.

The new zone begins on the exit of the quick Turn 12, with the aim of helping drivers carry speed on the run down to the tight Turn 13 right-hander.

Source

So Ham is 0.5 secs faster...status quo remains, tho I guess there's more to come from Ferrari since they didn't run the Ultras

Good to see McLaren in the top 10 too.

Couldn't find an F1 timing sheet for FP2 so had to screenshot from the F1 website.

A lot closer in FP2, Verstappen's long stints looked equal to Hamiltons but we don't know fuel situation etc. As I understand it Ferrari never ran Hyper Soft so there's still some time in the bag for them and finally, weather is forecast for Rain tomorrow so really right now, we know nothing.

BcMwmnb.png

Both McLarens in the top 10 again, as well, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, especially after all their testing woes.

• 2 weeks later...

Driver of the Race: Pierre Gasly - Hell of a drive getting that Toro Rosso to finish 4th.

Reject of the Race: Whoever hit the green light prematurely on Raikkonen's pitstop and ended up breaking that poor Ferrari mechanic's leg.

Impressive drive from Vettel to maintain and preserve his soft tyres. Bottas really should have been able to put Vettel under more pressure. He'll be scratching his head, that's for sure. Hamilton was definitely the loser when it came down to overtaking backmarkers. 2 seconds from Bottas to 6 seconds whilst being on fresher tyres. I thought for sure Bottas would let Hamilton pass to try overtake Vettel as he was lapping much quicker at the time before the backmarkers.

Another poor pitstop and unsafe release from Ferrari concerning Kimi Raikkonen. Raikkonen must be fuming. He seems to be able to match Vettel's pace so far this season.

Driver of the day for me was Gasly. He was well composed throughout the race. I imagine Gasly would have been under a lot of pressure. Amazing drive.

Lots of respect to Vettel for this one, I was saying after it was clear they were gonna go to the end that there was no way he would make it to the end on those tyres, same old story where they push too far and the tyres blow on them but not only did he make them last he was really competitive too.

A massive amount of respect from him for this defence of Lewis too, glad someone called out the BS on trying to create drama where there isn't any. 

• Like 4

Ferrari and Mercedes will receive a much smaller share of F1’s prize money from 2021 under new plans for how the near-$1 billion fund will be shared out.

Formula One Management’s commercial rights holder Liberty Media presented its proposed changes to teams in Bahrain. RaceFans has learned from sources how it intends to cut top teams’ payments and hand more money to F1’s smaller outfits such as Williams and Force India.

Ferrari’s unique Long Standing Team payment, which by itself is worth more than some teams’ entire prize revenues, will be scrapped. The payment, worth $68 million last year, will be replaced by a $40 million payment which must be taken as company profits, RaceFans understands.

The Constructors’ Championship Bonuses and other special payments to teams will not continue under Liberty’s plan. Instead the prize fund will be more closely linked to where each team finishes in the constructors’ championship.

The fund will continue to be split equally into two columns, the first of which will be shared equally between the teams, as before. The second will distribute payments based on their constructors’ championship finishing positions. While the payment to the first-placed team will fall from 19% to 14%, the last-placed team will continue to receive 6%, and the incremental gaps between them are evenly spaced.

Based on the details of Liberty Media’s F1 prize money plan for 2021, RaceFans has modelled how much money each team could receive under the new structure.

For ease of comparison we have used the 2017 constructors’ championship finishing positions for each team and assumed a total prize fund of $1 billion. All figures are $m.

5ace0728b7904_screenshot-www.racefans.net2018_04.1114-01-19.thumb.png.dacbdff49cfd8998f2efd685cbd33971.png

NB. Under the 2021 prize money structure Ferrari would receive an additional $40m which must be written to group profits. Each engine manufacturer would also receive an additional $10m. These are not reflected in the tables and graph above.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/04/11/revealed-the-winners-and-losers-under-libertys-2021-f1-prize-money-plan/

• Like 1

Seems like a good move, this needs to be fairly distributed, not only will the smaller teams stand a better chance but it may potentially interest some new ones too.