Formula 1 World Championship 2018 Season Discussion

Max Verstappen: 'One more crash question and I might headbutt someone'

Asked on Wednesday evening in Montreal what he needed to do this weekend to avoid a repeat, Verstappen said: "Not hit the wall! It's as simple as that! And I don't need to change my approach -- it's just a little bit more finesse I guess. Sometimes s--- happens."

However, when asked a similar question during the official FIA press conference on Thursday morning, he added: "I'm getting really tired of all the questions. I think if I get any more I might headbutt someone."

He added: "I get really tired of all the comments saying I should change my approach. I will never do that, because it brought me to where I am right now"

Source

Is it just me or is anyone else a little fed up of Max's attitude at the moment?

I don't think anyone can deny it, he's an extremely talented racer but this season has been pretty bad for him with the blame pretty much completely on his shoulders. He's 3 points ahead of Alonso, 25 points behind Kimi in 5th and Ricciardo is more than double away. His argument of my approach got me here is pretty stupid, he wasn't crashing this much in any of his previous years and he doesn't have the experience (IMO) to argue he knows best.

• Like 2

That was a pretty boring race which is a shame as excluding Monaco we've had a pretty good season up until now.

As a Hamilton fan, I am wondering when he's planning to turn up this season, I think through sheer luck he's where he is in the championship, Bottas is honestly doing a better job which isn't a huge surprise because he's a talented driver, just surprising as Hamilton seems to be really far off the pace.

43 minutes ago, Skiver said:

That was a pretty boring race which is a shame as excluding Monaco we've had a pretty good season up until now.

As a Hamilton fan, I am wondering when he's planning to turn up this season, I think through sheer luck he's where he is in the championship, Bottas is honestly doing a better job which isn't a huge surprise because he's a talented driver, just surprising as Hamilton seems to be really far off the pace.

I agree, Hamilton doesn't appear to be on it this season. Vettel has turned up and unless Hamilton changes his approach, I think the title will go to Vettel.

I also don't think this year's Mercedes is particularly good. From what I remember, they've always had issues with 'switching on' their tyres, especially when using the softer compounds and struggle to keep them in the window. I tend to see in races that are using the softer tyres, their optimum strategy tends to revolve around the harder of those tyres. It hadn't been so bad for them in past seasons due to their pure power advantage. Though now Ferrari appear to have them matched on power and can switch on their tyres much easier and can manage them better/have a larger operating window. Red Bull are also capitalising on this when Mercedes struggle on tyres with their superior chassis, despite their lack of power.

47 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

I agree, Hamilton doesn't appear to be on it this season. Vettel has turned up and unless Hamilton changes his approach, I think the title will go to Vettel.

I also don't think this year's Mercedes is particularly good. From what I remember, they've always had issues with 'switching on' their tyres, especially when using the softer compounds and struggle to keep them in the window. I tend to see in races that are using the softer tyres, their optimum strategy tends to revolve around the harder of those tyres. It hadn't been so bad for them in past seasons due to their pure power advantage. Though now Ferrari appear to have them matched on power and can switch on their tyres much easier and can manage them better/have a larger operating window. Red Bull are also capitalising on this when Mercedes struggle on tyres with their superior chassis, despite their lack of power.

The main difference between Vettel and Lewis in this race was the fact that Ferrari had brought engine upgrades (including new engine for Vettel) and Lewis was using an old engine that to be honest was past it's use by date (this meant it was way down on power)

4 hours ago, Ready2018 said:

The main difference between Vettel and Lewis in this race was the fact that Ferrari had brought engine upgrades (including new engine for Vettel) and Lewis was using an old engine that to be honest was past it's use by date (this meant it was way down on power)

I hope this is the only reason, I hope Merc get whatever gremlins they found on the Dyno sorted so they can bring the new upgrades to the next GP, I'm not overly familiar with Paul Ricard track but it looks like a strong PU would be a good advantage here.

• 4 weeks later...

Alonso to Indy then. Or Red Bull, but put that man in something that doesn't have Honda in it, please. For his sanity.