Windows XP Student Edition??

Up till now, Microsoft have provided student editions of Windows, which are identical except for the price (about ?50). On this issue, the Microsoft UK site hasn't been updated since Office XP and still goes on about the Windows Me/2000 package.

Does anyone know if Microsoft intends to release a student edition of Windows XP? And how much (UK) it will cost?

TIA

It won't be that cheap and it will have a major problem - The activation will be tied into the school you're in so if you upgrade school you'll have to reactivate your computer. :D

-mortensenj

Our school has a contract with MS that gets us most of Microsoft's major products for only 5 bucks. The only drawback is it's not in a retail box, but still is the full version with unique cd-keys.

whats the point of having the box? It just takes up room. It has no purpose. I Dunno why program/game packers don't use dvd boxes. They are the perfect and the manual fits right into it. Even if the box has to be a bit thicker for the manual.

Even though a manual serves no purpose to us folk who actually know how to turn on a computer :)

Have any of you actually read an MS manual .. man they are funny ... I love them :-) Saying that I would be lost without some of my MSPress books.. they are very useful.. Fav has to be Inside the Regisry by Gunter Born.. some great stuff in there

this will definitely happen but it will be next year before you see student licensiing unfortunately.

I had exactly the same idea and decided to call MS directly. Apprently they are offering the discount only on upgrade versions - I know that there will be academic pricing on the Pro edition (I wasn't paying too much attention to the home edition). Anyways, the offer is only good to upgrades and not the full version. I was quoted American prices which doesn't interest me very much since I am in Canada but don't expect too much of a discount I think is was around $50 US.

I wish there was more of a discount. To my recollection Visual C++ Academic edition is very heavily discounted by hundreds of dollars and is very close to the Enterprise edition. Something to ponder anyways......

DrunkenMaster