California Might Soon Put a Cancer Warning On... Coffee

California Might Soon Put a Cancer Warning On... Coffee

If a lawsuit currently being evaluated by a California court goes a certain way, coffee shops and coffee-selling gas stations may be forced post labels about potential cancer-causing chemicals.

They may even have to pay fines if they don't warn customers about the risks of chemicals in coffee.

The Council for Education and Research on Toxics – the group behind the lawsuit – wants to penalise companies that don't warn customers that coffee contains acrylamide, a chemical that California lists as one "known to cause cancer."

Acrylamide naturally forms when plants and grains are cooked at high temperatures. It's created in the process known as the maillard reaction, in which high heat transforms sugars and amino acids in ways that change flavour and tend to brown food. When potatoes, bread, biscuits, or coffee are heated, acrylamide forms.

But there's no conclusive reason to believe that coffee or other foods expose humans to dangerous levels of acrylamide. And there's no known way to make coffee without acrylamide.

Acrylamide and cancer risk

The chemical in question here was first discovered by Swedish scientists in 2002, according to the American Cancer Society....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

Acrylamide is classified as an extremely hazardous substance in the United States as defined in Section 302 of the U.S. Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (42 U.S.C. 11002), and is subject to strict reporting requirements by facilities which produce, store, or use it in significant quantities.[6]

So, what's your favourite brand/type of coffee everyone? :D 

I like different nutritional supplements

A lot of them had that warning. California laws are idiotic in this way. Yes it might contain that chemical, but in miniscule doses.

So does a lot of stuff you eat, drink and even breath or touch with your skin (which can also absorb) chemicals. 

Great products that help your health are forced to put that label on it.

Coffee is a mixed bag, I am not defending  it, it has both positive and negative sides. But putting such warning on ALL coffee is really idiotic.

Now the decaf coffes that was make by methods other then the Swiss water method do indeed have a high risk. But who drinks decaf anyway...

• Like 2

"And there's no known way to make coffee without acrylamide."

In theory, a cold brewed blonde roast would require the least amount of heat to produce.

Unless the acrylamide forms during the initial (light) roasting period, I don't see how there's no known way.

10 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

California may as well be a totally different country. I really dont understand that state. It's no wonder that 75% of that state wants to form their own state.

The rest of America might well prefer it if they did! :p

45 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I bet, according to california, toiler paper causes cancer too :rolleyes: 

well, if you get one of those fancy toilet paper with ink drawings on them, depending on what sort of ink is on there... /s

• Like 1

Clearly that state is too stupid to realize that posting a bunch of warning FUD all over everything causes their economy to decrease.  Seeing as they took a big step backwards in 2017, they should be looking for growth, not induce ridiculous scare tactics.

12 minutes ago, Brys said:

well, if you get one of those fancy toilet paper with ink drawings on them, depending on what sort of ink is on there... /s

or you know, 3 sea shells

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Folgers Gourmet Supreme in an express maker mixed with 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 tablespoon 1/2, 6 SucraDrops drops and 1 cap of vanilla. Chilled in the fridge 1 day.

11 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Folgers Gourmet Supreme in an express maker mixed with 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 tablespoon 1/2, 6 SucraDrops drops and 1 cap of vanilla. Chilled in the fridge 1 day.

Folgers and gourmet should not be used in the same sentence, let alone a brand of canned coffee. You do know that folgers coffee isn't even made with arabica beans. They use the cheap ass robusta beans, which is the Walmart of coffee bean 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

Folgers and gourmet should not be used in the same sentence, let alone a brand of canned coffee. You do know that coffee isn't even made with arabica beans. They use the cheap ass robusta beans, which is the Walmart of coffee bean 

If I was a coffee connoisseur I might actually care :D but i'm not, so I don't lol.

16 minutes ago, warwagon said:

cheesus christ, only way to drink coffee is like whisky, STRAIGHT! that concoction of yours is anything but!

I'm pretty lucky to have Ruby Coffee Roasters in a path that I cross fairly often on my way up to the northern WI woods. Phenomenal roasts.  Them and the Central Waters brewery is the half way stop on my way up.  And then not too far south of here is Intelligentsia in Chicagoland, which also makes fantastic beans.  I'll go for them if I want something dark and rich, and then Ruby for the lighter and smooth roasts.  And of course the best way to make these is a fresh grind and then steeped in a french press.  Ever since having quality Kona coffee on the Hawaiian big island, I went full snob on coffee. :p

Just now, Astra.Xtreme said:

I'm pretty lucky to have Ruby Coffee Roasters in a path that I cross fairly often on my way up to the northern WI woods. Phenomenal roasts.  Them and the Central Waters brewery is the half way stop on my way up.  And then not too far south of here is Intelligentsia in Chicagoland, which also makes fantastic beans.  I'll go for them if I want something dark and rich, and then Ruby for the lighter and smooth roasts.  And of course the best way to make these is a fresh grind and then steeped in a french press.  Ever since having quality Kona coffee on the Hawaiian big island, I went full snob on coffee. :p

Only real way to drink coffee is the italian way!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Only real way to drink coffee is the italian way!

Italian as in espresso?  Those flavors are fantastic, but the fun only lasts for a few sips (such small volumes, haha).  I dig a nice big mug of fresh brew.  A 300mL mug of espresso would probably induce a heart attack. :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Don't drink coffee, never developed a taste for it.  Never smoked either. Wine with dinner 2-3x a week, a craft beer now and then.

I prefer a wide variety of teas (hot and iced w/lemon), lemon & lime juice in ice water, an occaisional hot cocoa on cold days, etc.

• Like 2

I love my home State of California, and I've lived all over the U.S./World being in the military for about two decades. It definitely has its downside, like every other place, but I always come to my senses when thinking about packing up, and moving away. Fortunately, we are able to live comfortably here, and enjoy the beach, the mountains, the desert, and the great food (living a healthy life). If we were to leave California, England would be at the top of my list. I was there for 8 years, and absolutely loved it.

• Like 2