Sign in to follow this  

Europe's "Fake News" Crusade to "Protect" You From Free Speech

+Mirumir    5,535

Europe's "Fake News" Crusade to "Protect" You From Free Speech

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear," George Orwell wrote in his ant-totalitarian novel, 1984. He would probably have frowned upon the latest UK Government blueprint to create a regulatory agency that will ultimately strangle freedom of expression.

Scrutiny against "Fake News," is undoubtedly a positive development.  It means that at least people are questioning the news they are consuming. Yes, it is a problem that so much disinformation and misinformation exists. It is, however, a far bigger problem if they do not. The public's resolve should be that disinformation is not combated by a regulatory body controlled by Government. Individual arguments, with evidence, is what belongs in a democracy, which can only survive if it is a marketplace of ideas.

If having a Government body decide what can and cannot be published – thereby creating a culture of both official censorship and self-censorship -- is not enough to concern you, the briefest glance at what this newly created British body would consider "Fake News" should send you running into the street.

image.thumb.png.bbf67e6b9fc00502693ce6ee57e739da.png

In France, President Emmanuel Macron is leading a crusade against whatever some judicial official decides is "Fake News."

Germany has already passed laws which demand that any "hate speech" or "fake news," be removed from social networking. Immediately, the political opposition paid the price. Beatrix von Storch, a prominent member of parliament of the advancing AfD party, was suspended on January 2, the day after the law went into effect, for her twitter posts. What a nifty way to silence her and others -- and their ability to challenge the Government.

Even more dangerous, Ireland's Government is proposing legislation that would mean individuals could spend up to five years in prison for disseminating supposedly "Fake News" on internet accounts. How could a threat of imprisonment not have a chilling effect on open discourse? In a free society, Government should not be able to jail an individual for sharing opinions with which it disagrees. 

The UK Prime Minister's Spokesperson noted that , "We are living in an era of fake news and competing narratives." All right, time to compete. Explain to the public why your narrative is better. Where is it written that narratives should not compete? Political discourse depends on having differing ideas clashing, enabling different individuals to test their ideas through talk rather than through jail. A society with a single narrative is inherently a totalitarian one -- "Big Brother" -- that does not tolerate anyone questioning its essential orthodoxies. Attempts to censor "competing narratives" is probably just a tip-off that certain individuals are afraid their political ideas will be unable to withstand the questions asked or the test of time.

Wonder what will come up first this time: "no propaganda in Russia" or the "video game screenshot" comment.

PsYcHoKiLLa    1,827

giphy.gif

PsYcHoKiLLa    1,827

Double post is double

Euphoria    886

This whole bull is offensive... in simple terms they are telling people they lack the intelligence to determine what is fake, and what is real, so they will take it in their own hands that decision.... It is the same in the US with censorship of hate speech...

+ctebah    3,160

I love how fake news wasn’t a problem during Gulf of Tonkin or Iraq war.  Western hypocrisy at its finest.

+FloatingFatMan    14,158
On 02/02/2018 at 3:21 PM, ctebah said:

I love how fake news wasn’t a problem during Gulf of Tonkin or Iraq war.  Western hypocrisy at its finest.

I guess you completely missed all the anti-war protests going on around Europe when that all kicked off, then? 

+ctebah    3,160
11 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I guess you completely missed all the anti-war protests going on around Europe when that all kicked off, then? 

Protests against war or protests against fake news?

Just now, ctebah said:

Protests against war or protests against fake news?

Protests against the war AND the lies we were being fed.

+ctebah    3,160
9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Protests against the war AND the lies we were being fed.

And after those protests, did most of the same politicians get elected back into the office?

8 minutes ago, ctebah said:

And after those protests, did most of the same politicians get elected back into the office?

Well, what do you think?  Tony Blair & the Labour party were running the UK then. Now, it's the Tories...

Jim K    9,559

Some irony here ... that the ZeroHedge regurgitation of a Gatestone Institute article talks about fake news ... when the Gatestone Institute itself has spread "fake news" a lot (to include articles about Hamburg authorities confiscating apartments for refugees, "no-go zones" in Europe, EU issuing gag orders to the Press when terrorism suspects were Muslim, etc.)

+ctebah    3,160
3 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, what do you think?  Tony Blair & the Labour party were running the UK then. Now, it's the Tories...

Blair was re-elected with a majority in 2005.  So yeah, the people protested and then the same leaders got re-elected.

SpeedyTheSnail    875

Just because news that isn't true is called fake doesn't mean people's freedom of speech is inhibited.

It is holding crackpot liars accountable for the power and influence they hold.

You don't like fake news being called fake news, report only the facts and leave your dumb opinions out of it. Nobody watches the NEWS for opinion, they watch it because they should be able to trust that the reporting is based on facts.

If you want an opinion show, there are plenty of channels for that. Create "The opinion channel". Stop mixing news with politics.

So easy to understand.

27 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Blair was re-elected with a majority in 2005.  So yeah, the people protested and then the same leaders got re-elected.

It takes time to overtake political momentum, and more time for labour supporters to realise the truth about the lies. But hey, you believe whatever the hell you want. You don't live here, so you have no true idea.

Joe User    398

You have the right to free speech, but you don't have the right to defraud or libel people. 

First off, there's no such thing as 'fake news' it's either news, or it's opinion and/or fiction, but that's an argument for another day. Which is why I'll use the term in quotes.

Most "Fake news" is nothing but fraud. It's passing off a fabrication as a fact to benefit the person or people spreading it.  I have no issues with fraud or libel being handled by the courts in a fair and impartial manner.  If the government wants to create an enforcement arm dedicated to it, that's fine, as long as due process is followed.

Just a note, I'm from the US, so the laws here differ from the UK and EU. My opinions will, obviously, be influenced by US law. I know the UK and EU have different speech laws.

Depicus    831

I have a game I like to play, it's called "Who wrote this without looking..."

The object of the game is to guess the OP before you even open the topic and you get a point every time you guess right.

+1 for me ?

+ctebah    3,160
4 minutes ago, Depicus said:

The object of the game is to guess the OP before you even open the topic and you get a point every time you guess right.

+1 for me ?

Some of us do the same with posts that don't contribute anything to the original post.

Co-ords    197

This entire thread is totally fake news!! :laugh::laugh:

+Mirumir    5,535

Why Are European Governments So Terrified of 'Fake News'?

2018-02-11_16-09-50.thumb.jpg.a7c8126f87576a32d4eae7585fc3d73e.jpg

The Swedish government's innovation agency, Vinnova, is financing a project led by the combined forces of Swedish mainstream media to, in the words of Vinnova, "prevent fake news and unfounded statements from spreading and playing a decisive role in the Swedish elections in 2018".

How adorable that Swedish media, which has been going out of its way to conceal and beautify news about Sweden – migrant rapes and other crimes, for example -- in its news coverage, suddenly and conveniently in election season, pretends to care about whether Swedish voters can access correct information.

Ultimately, the unholy alliance of government agencies and media giants to silence criticism of government policies in an election year in the name of "fake news", is not only indicative of an astonishing contempt for established democratic principles and the freedom of expression and information. It also reveals how truly terrified the political establishment is of falling from power, and just how far it will go in compromising democratic principles in order to be able to cling to that power.

Sweden, naturally, is not the only country with a political elite clinging to power at all costs and using the slippery slope of "fake news" to cover up the silencing of dissent and government criticism...

+Mirumir    5,535
On 2/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, Depicus said:

+1 for me ?

You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it - Morpheus

Matthew S.    263

So just another day of the Russian's are the Good Guys mafia than?

Jim K    9,559
15 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

/Snip

ZeroHedge ripping another "The Gatestone Institute" article complete with their anti-Muslim bias.  /sigh

+Mando    4,744

@Mirumir& @ctebah Do you guys get paid rubles per article?

Or by the amount of propaganda you spout for mother Russia via rubles per reply?

Or do you just have nothing better to do? Maybe you could team up, go into standup or a variety show with all your rhetoric. The Mir and Cte show! 

Jeesh lads let it go, we get it, you love Russia, and hate the west, good for you, have a medal.

Perhaps an idea to spout it on a Russian site where most would agree with you? 

+Mirumir    5,535
1 hour ago, Mando said:

have a medal.

Have a napkin.

+Mando    4,744
4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Have a napkin.

See I told you, you should be on stage, your too funny sir, thank you, you just proved my point ;)