• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Tesla Powerwalls and Solar Roof Kits are coming to Home Depot (and possibly to Lowe's too!)

Unobscured Vision    2,657

Article link | Bloomberg Technology website

Tesla Inc. is planning a major expansion of its solar division at Home Depot Inc., embarking on a critical test of the mainstream appeal of its renewable-energy products.

The tech pioneer, best known for its electric cars, is beginning to roll out Tesla-branded selling spaces at 800 of the retailer’s locations, the company confirmed to Bloomberg News. The areas, which will be outfitted during the first half of this year, are staffed by Tesla employees and can demonstrate its solar panels and Powerwall battery.

Lowe’s -- the second-largest U.S. home-improvement chain, after Home Depot -- has also been in discussions with Tesla about selling its solar products, said people familiar with the situation. At some point, Home Depot may also offer Tesla’s much-anticipated solar roof, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private. Tesla, Lowe’s and Home Depot declined to comment on those plans.

(read more at the 'article link' above.)

This is gonna massively improve exposure & sales of these products, and generate so much interest that they won't be able to keep the units on the shelves. Welcome to the future, folks. I'm pleased to learn of this truly visionary (and ballsy) move on the part of Home Depot to sell these, and I hope Lowe's follows suit too. :yes: They won't regret it.

(I highly recommend clicking the 'article link' above. There's a very well-done video presentation about the technology that deserves to be seen. :))

• Like 4

+Mirumir    5,635

Indistinguishable from regular roof-tiles!

+Jimmy1    10,380

this is AMAZING.   "as close as having your own off-the-grid power" - damn right!  if i was living in a individual house, i would totally get it.

not much options if you are living in apartments, or townhouses

but, i plan to move to a house within 5 years, and i will seriously consider this :)

• Like 1

I can see these used in conjunction with sun-facing surfaces on the sides of homes and structures too. Tons of room for growth and evolution for this technology. Won't be as efficient as on a rooftop, and it depends on latitude of course.

A dedicated, sun-tracking PV system is still the way to go obviously; but this really is the next best thing.

HoochieMamma    714

Good, this is the way of the future. Embrace it or become extinct with your ways. 

New home getting built this year is getting a 5Kwh solar array and a Powerwall 2. Can't wait!

• Like 2

Sweet, let us know how it works out! :)

• Like 1

HoochieMamma    714

Yeah of course!

The frame is up at the moment, so when power goes in I'll be going in and doing data/AV cabling. I guess its about this time I get the solar/tesla guys in but I'll need to talk to them and confirm what they need from me. Specifically the circuit breaker to inverter/Powerwall as they will not be right next to each other but in 1m recess in the same room.

edit: Also check this out I heard it on the news today. Finally, this country is learning.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-to-build-250mw-virtual-power-plant-in-south-australia-44339/

• Like 2

DocM    16,433
1 hour ago, HoochieMamma said:

>

edit: Also check this out I heard it on the news today. Finally, this country is learning.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-to-build-250mw-virtual-power-plant-in-south-australia-44339/

AKA Distributed Generation, or Distributed Energy Resources (DER).

IMO, once shingle solar comes down in price to where it's competitive with shingles, making it code for new construction and replacement roofs is the way to go. Goodbye regional power outages.

Tesla and Green Mountain Power in Vermont lease Powerwall 2's for $15/mo.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/tesla-and-green-mountain-power-get-your-behind-the-meter-battery-for-15-a-m#gs.C8eoxu4

• Like 2