Windows 10 Bootcamp with Bluetooth Not Working

Edrick Smith

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" and I have a bootcamp installation. For some reason Windows 10 will not work reliably at all with Bluetooth. I on occasion can get the device to pair, sometimes it'll connect just fine and work but eventually craps out. Sometimes it'll say it's connected but it actually wont work at all, sometimes it'll sporadicly work and the mouse will stutter across the screen. Other time it'll just say to attempt to repair. It always sees the devices broadcasting to be paired but it will 9 out of 10 times not work. This is with a logitech bluetooth mouse, a microsoft arc mouse, a microsoft ergonomic keyboard. I've tried running updates on the OS just to see, I've gone to the bluetooth drivers all of which are installed and checked for updates. I've tried resetting and doing a PR reset on the Mac. Bluetooth works perfectly on OS X this is just a problem with Windows. 

Edrick Smith

Well an update to this, I think I have found what solved the issue:

Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (right click and choose "Properties".

Under the "Advanced" tab, highlight the setting named "Bluetooth Collaboration", then change it to Enable. Then click OK.

Edrick Smith

Spoke too soon, same problems. I've checked to see if i can install the bootcamp drivers from apple for bluetooth but when I do that the device stops working so forcing it to take those drivers doesn't work. The drivers windows installs are from 2006. It says Bluetooth Radio 6/21/2006 for the driver it forces me to use. 

• 1 year later...
MosheD

Hi. Could u find solution to the bluetooth problem on macbook pro with Windows 10?

Thanks for sharing solution. I have same problem as described here.

Brandon H

try and see if you can find the official bluetooth driver for the chipset instead of using the bootcamp supplied one to see if that helps

do you have the same reliability issues on MacOS side by chance? if so it could point to the hardware as well.

• 2 months later...
Denis W.

So through trial and error on my 2018 Macbook Pro (with a T2 chip), and booted into Windows 10 with Boot Camp, I figured out a workaround to force my bluetooth speaker to not re-pair properly after a reboot. Steps to try:

• someone suggested via this reddit post to fully power down the Mac, wait a bit, then boot directly to Windows. Applies if you're on Mojave
  • but that wasn't enough for me. So the next step was to remove all Bluetooth devices in the Settings app, then go into Device Manager and remove all Bluetooth hardware. Then Action > Scan for hardware changes, to readd Bluetooth hardware.

Removing all Bluetooth devices beforehand is important, as they magically pop back into Device Manager if you don't. Afterwards I was able to get my speaker to pair once again.

Depending on which Mac you have, with older Macs you probably have a separate Bluetooth driver. It might have options to turn off power saving; try disabling that if possible:

image.thumb.png.5db5cbfed233565808a2f412499a7939.png

... getting a Bluetooth speaker to work is a must, thanks to the T2 leading to a crap audio experience in Windows 10 - sound glitching, plus the Spotify app just causes all sound to cut out.

Edited by Denis W.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases manual update packages for removing Adobe Flash from Windows
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Back in September, Microsoft reminded users about the removal of Flash from the Edge browser and Windows, stating that the company will release an optional update for the latter this fall that will remove Adobe Flash Player completely from the OS. As promised, the Redmond giant has made that optional update available for download through the Update Catalog (spotted by BleepingComputer).

The knowledge base article is KB4577586 and the update is called “Update for Removal of Adobe Flash Player” followed by the version number of the OS for which the package is designated for. You can head to the Update Catalog here to download the update package for your preferred version. The packages are available for all currently supported Windows versions – including LTSB versions – and the related Windows Server versions.

It must be noted that the package can currently be downloaded only via the Update Catalog for manual installation. The Redmond firm noted in the announcement earlier this year that it will begin releasing this very update via other channels such as Windows Update as a recommended update after Flash Player reaches the end of support on December 31, 2020.

Additionally, users that currently install KB4577586 manually do not have an option to uninstall or roll back the update and will have to perform a clean installation of the OS to be able to reinstall Flash. The company has also stated that it will be removing all APIs, group policies, and interfaces that are used for managing Flash later next summer.

Image credit: BleepingComputer Interestingly, folks over at BleepingComputer noticed that installing the update did not get rid of Flash both on Edge and in the OS. The publication has reached out to Microsoft to request clarification. It is not clear if the firm will release another manual update package before serving it to all users through the usual channels.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft earnings: $37.2B revenue with big Surface and gaming growth
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft announced its earnings for the first quarter of its 2021 fiscal year. Overall revenue grew by 12% (12% in constant currency) over the same quarter last year for a total of $37.2 billion. That's broken up into Productivity and Business Processes with $12.3B revenue and 11% (11% CC) growth), Intelligent Cloud with $13B revenue and 20% (19% CC) growth, and More Personal Computing with $11.8B revenue and 6% (6% CC) growth.

In the Productivity and Business Processes department, it was led by 9% increase in Office Commercial products and cloud services, including 21% (20% CC) growth in Office 365 Commercial. The other piece of products and cloud services, the products, declined 30% as more businesses move to the cloud.

For consumers, Office products and cloud services revenue grew by 13%, and Microsoft 365 Consumer subscribers are now at 45.3 million, a 27% increase. LinkedIn revenue grew by 16%, and sessions grew by 31%. For Dynamics, products and cloud services revenue grew by 19% (18% CC), driven by Dynamics 365 revenue, which grew by 38% (37% CC).

As usual, Azure drove the growth in the Intelligent Cloud section. All Server products and cloud services grew by 22% (21% CC), and that includes a 48% (47% CC) growth in Azure. Server products actually declined 1%.

For More Personal Computing, Windows OEM revenue actually declined by 5%, but that actually includes 31% growth in non-Pro revenue, so there was also a 22% decline in Pro revenue. Windows Commercial products and cloud services grew 13% (12% CC).

Surface revenue saw a big boost, with a 37% (36% CC) increase. For this and the increase in Windows non-Pro revenue, Microsoft attributes increased PC demand. Gaming revenue increased by 22% (21% CC), including a 30% increase in Xbox content and services. Finally, search advertising revenue, excluding traffic acquisition costs, was down 10% (11% CC).

• By Rich Woods
      Apple's AirPods Pro are $49 off on Amazon
      by Rich Woods

It's been almost exactly a year since Apple's AirPods Pro were first announced. That means that with this holiday season, we'll see some solid deals on the truly wireless earbuds. Right now, Amazon has the $249 earbuds for just $199.99, a 20% discount.

One of the big features of AirPods Pro is active noise cancellation (ANC). What ANC does is it listens to the noise around with two microphones, and it produces a counteractive noise. Apple says that it does this 200 times a second. AirPods Pro also comes with a Transparency mode, which is just the opposite. It uses pass-through audio so you can hear the world around you.

The other big change between AirPods Pro and regular AirPods is in the design. AirPods Pro come with removable tips, and there are three different sizes in the box. It comes with a wireless charging case, and in fact, Apple sells its regular AirPods with the Wireless Charging Case for $199.

If you want to check out the AirPods Pro deal on Amazon, you can find it here.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By eRajesh
      Samsung Galaxy S21 might not ship with a charger and earphones in the box
      by Rajesh Pandey

It looks like Samsung is also planning on following Apple's footsteps with the Galaxy S21 by not including a charger and earphones with the device. Samsung is seemingly planning on removing the charger and earphones from all variants of the Galaxy S21.

Certain insiders at Samsung do believe that the company will only remove the earphones from the box and continue to bundle the charger. The company already does something similar in the United States where it does not bundle AKG-tuned USB-C earphones with the Galaxy Note20 series. Instead, customers need to reach out to Samsung to get the earphones for free. Perhaps Samsung could end up doing something similar with the Galaxy S21 lineup, though doing this in every single market of the world might end up being a daunting task.

By not bundling earphones and a power adapter with the Galaxy S21 series, Samsung will be able to reduce its production cost that has increased due to the addition of 5G. The move should also allow Samsung to redesign its smartphone packaging to reduce its overall volume that should help it reduce its transportation cost. The move will also be beneficial for the environment as Samsung will be able to reduce its carbon footprint.

There have been mixed views about Apple not bundling a charger with the iPhone 12 and Samsung will likely be subjected to the same criticism. The South Korean company is also unlikely to pass on any savings to its customers, though like Apple, it could end up reducing the price of its power adapter.

Samsung is rumored to launch the Galaxy S21 series a few weeks early in January this year. The entire Galaxy S21 lineup has already leaked in renders.

Source: ChosunBiz | Image: OnLeaks (Voice)

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Microsoft starts rolling out trackpad support to Office apps for iPadOS
      by Jay Bonggolto

Microsoft today announced fresh updates for its Office apps on iPadOS that introduce full support for trackpad capabilities, among others. The latest changes are live for those using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on the iPad.

The software giant says the new updates should come in handy if you're using a mouse or Apple’s Magic Keyboard to move around texts in Word, resize content in PowerPoint, or select cells in Excel, for example. The cursor also automatically adjusts its function according to the content you're working on.

If you have been using these Office apps on Windows or macOS, the new iPad experience will look familiar to you. That said, today's announcement is not entirely surprising since a report earlier this year suggested that Microsoft would add trackpad support for its Office suite apps on iPadOS.

In addition, the Redmond-based company has introduced new start screens and a fresh ribbon of feature menus to the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint experiences. It says these enhancements provide a "cleaner and more modern" look in line with its Fluent UI design.

These updates are rolling out in phases and should be available to everyone in the next few weeks. In the future, Microsoft has promised to bring multiple document support in Excel, contextual menus, and offline file support for cloud files.