Netflix: Altered Carbon

On 2/6/2018 at 7:33 PM, Luc2k said:

Started well enough, but I began to lose interest around the time of the backstory episode, which was underwhelming. Everything after the Big Bad reveal didn't make much sense and was terrible IMO.

The police detective (and her family} was annoying throughout and I couldn't help getting distracted by her botoxed face.

I enjoyed the backstory episodes/segments...almost wished they had spent a little more time on it (such as actual Envoy missions) and less on the (IMO) ho-hum murder mystery.

It hasn't been without faults of course but I've enjoyed it.  Watching the last episode tonight.

7 hours ago, Jim K said:

I enjoyed the backstory episodes/segments...almost wished they had spent a little more time on it (such as actual Envoy missions) and less on the (IMO) ho-hum murder mystery.

It hasn't been without faults of course but I've enjoyed it.  Watching the last episode tonight.

I think it needed a few more episodes, 10 seems to be too little for all the story that's in there.  Maybe with 13 episodes things would be better developed though I liked it overall.

On 12/02/2018 at 7:51 PM, Jim K said:

The backtory ruined the myth of what I thought an Envoy was. I believed they were individuals with some special abilities, but, as it turns out, the only thing special was the training. Another thing was that they were, what, 10-20 individuals and a bunch of civilian families. This small band was considered a high threat, at this point in time, by a government that controlled multiple planets? And, I admit that I didn't get all the "science" behind their plot, but aren't offline back-ups a thing that exists? Their attack might have caused significant damage, but wouldn't have ended "immortality". Maybe I've got that part wrong.

I agree that the murder didn't amount to much.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:42 PM, Luc2k said:

The backtory ruined the myth of what I thought an Envoy was. I believed they were individuals with some special abilities, but, as it turns out, the only thing special was the training. Another thing was that they were, what, 10-20 individuals and a bunch of civilian families. This small band was considered a high threat, at this point in time, by a government that controlled multiple planets? And, I admit that I didn't get all the "science" behind their plot, but aren't offline back-ups a thing that exists? Their attack might have caused significant damage, but wouldn't have ended "immortality". Maybe I've got that part wrong.

I agree that the murder didn't amount to much.

They changed what a Envoy is a good bit from the books, I don't know why?  Should've stuck to the book more IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, techbeck said:

Books are always better.

Only because they try to stuff them into a movie when a tv series, with enough episodes, fits better.  The problem here is that Netflix only gave them 10 episodes, I think it would've worked out better with more, but I don't think Netflix was ready to commit to, say, 20 episodes for a scifi show.

I pushed myself to finish the first and start the 2nd episode by I stopped half way through.... it's just too painful.... maybe hallucinogens might help me get through another episode...

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

Some article mentioned that Season 2 will not be based on the second book ... quite unfortunate.

Richard K Morgan is releasing another book in the same universe:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/117163/thin-air-by-richard-k-morgan/9780345493125/

They could always link up to the 2nd book in a future season though.

I liked it for few first episodes when it was a detective show, once it went with rebellion it lost the main attraction point and went into, IMHO, been there seen that. The main villain and the motives that drove it were just awful. Someone over at character development needs to take a good look at Daredevil Season One, to see how even if villain's motives seem implausible well done character deconstruction makes them fully convincible. Helps also if You have Vincent D'Onofrio in the role :)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Peresvet said:

Nice, i had almost forgot about it, the only downside to netflix series is that they drop them all in one go and then you've got long waits for a next season.

Agreed, thought Kinnaman was very good in the lead role.  Atleast the story/universe lends itself to the change in actor with the concept of sleeves.  Very much looking forward to this.

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad, doesn't do or show much story wise which is good.  I hope they ramp up the action and mystery in season 2. 

9 hours ago, techbeck said:

Going to need to watch a recap of S1.  Been a while.

I don't think s2 will have much to do with s1 actually.  I believe this season will be it's own self contained story.  It's fine to just brush up on some of the returning characters that might pop up though.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite its flaws I enjoyed season1, but season2 is pure garbage.

I was unconvinced when I learned that Mackie was playing Kovaks. I only knew him from Avengers, completely dull and uninteresting there already.

But then also the plot is ridiculous and the script is atrocious. What a let down.

I liked season 2, with the way it ended it leaves me expecting big things from a possible season 3.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I've watched the first two episodes (Season 2) .... and I'm soooo bored.  Are the first two episodes just bad or is it pretty much "the same" the rest of the season?