Change Screen Resoloution when comp is off?

Widdowmaker

My 6 year old cousin set my refresh arate to 96hrtz and my screen resolution to 1600x1400. (This is in Red Hat 9 Linux)

Now i cant boot up into linux without it saying my creen doesent support that resolution. How can i change it while the comp is off. Or in windows.

Blaise

moved to linux

Rockett15

:) this is a GOOD excuse to get a LiveLinux CD such as Knoppix .. so when something goes wrong you have a distro to boot straight from disc.. then you can just mount your *Nix drive and edit the file ;)

Widdowmaker

What? You mean bootable linux? The problem is LINUX WONT BOOT! Am i able to edit it from windows? I didnt make a boot disc. (i own no floppys) So am i SOL or what?

dougkinzinger

No, I think Rocket is saying that you can boot into your Linux installation from a CD distribution of Linux and modify any setting you want to.

markjensen
What? You mean bootable linux? The problem is LINUX WONT BOOT! It just says that the res is too high.

You should have other boot options (single user mode, perhaps). Or, I think you can stop it at GRUB, and make needed changes through there.

Rockett15
No, I think Rocket is saying that you can boot into your Linux installation from a CD distribution of Linux and modify any setting you want to.

:) exactly check out http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. It's always good to have one of these sitting in your CD rack. Ps. there are others but Knoppix is the well known.

Infact this was great for me, I had one burnt and my hard drive failed about a year ago.. I was still able to get online, listen to music and edit text documents etc :)

Widdowmaker

No no no, i man it boots up to the place where it says ok a lot. Then the monitor turns off and it says on top 96hrtz. And it has a purple background. It is one of those "Monitor is doing self test) things. The ones that are there right before you move your mouse. ill check out tha link though. i hope it works.

Rockett15

:) well with the liveCD you should have no bother booting from the cd and editing your XF86config file

markjensen

Are you able to use CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to your terminal prompt?

Rockett15

wait a minuite.. were you logged into root? or does your 6 year old cousin know your root password.. LOL? pretty hard to change otherwise.. unless this kid is used to Linux hehe

Malechai

the title of this thread made me laugh.. the thought that popped to mind was attempting to change the tv channel when the tv is off

Rockett15
the title of this thread made me laugh.. the thought that popped to mind was attempting to change the tv channel when the tv is off

:laugh: hahaha

markjensen
wait a minuite.. were you logged into root?

:omg: I didn't even see that connection!

Yeah, you shouldn't have been able to lose these settings without the root password.

mariusu

and you assumed this would be possible?? mwahahahahahaa :devil:

Malechai
and you assumed this would be possible?? mwahahahahahaa :devil:

? :huh: of course not, thats why i found the title funny.

markjensen

Hey, I am "old school" :p

Our TVs had these things called knobs that could be rotated to your selection with a KLACKETY-KLAK! Even with the power off! ;)

Rockett15

:happy: had one of those UHF tuners on my old black & white portable too.. so you could change the channel when turned off

markjensen

Ummm... I think we got a bit off-topic here... :whistle:

I posted a suggestion to try CTRL+ALT+F2 (or any of the other ttys)... I think that this should work, as don't the ttys use a basic video mode that should be workable even if X is hosed?

I think so, but don't really want to fsck up my monitor rates to test. :laugh:

Malechai

:| i guess i should have added "with the remote" in there somewhere lol you anal retentive bunch you ;)

Rockett15
:| i guess i should have added "with the remote" in there somewhere lol you anal retentive bunch you ;)

:uberhump: all part of the fun :)

rezza

yeah, just use ctrl-alt-f2 to get to a terminal, login as root, edit your xf86config file, then restart. voila!

Rockett15

:D this I would have said if I wasn't a bit of a n00b :p

markjensen

Another off-topic solution would be to get a video card & monitor that support those resolutions! ;)

Oh, and back ON topic... Don't login as root any more. Set up a user for yourself. :D

RoboStac

You should be able to do this from your boot loader - you just need to boot to a different runlevel.

Runlevels control what is and what isn't started on startup, I believe runlevel 5 to be the Graphical Mode, whereas runlevel 1 is singleuser, with no services or gui's. You'll want to boot to runlevel one, edit the config file, then boot back to the standard runlevel.

To do this, you append the runlevel to the kernel arguments - eg if lilo is booting a kernel you've called linux, put a 1 on the end, so it looks like

'linux 1'. There may be additional arguments supplied by redhat - if so, just leave them and add the 1 to the end.

In grub, you select what you want to boot, then press b. Place a 1 on the end, then boot your system.