Change Screen Resoloution when comp is off?

Widdowmaker

AHHHHHHH I FOUND IT!!!!

I got in a a user and it wouldnt let me edit it. i tried "root" as the login name and then i typed my root password. But it said no such login is avalible. Is there a special command to go into root? ANd i have a backup copy. I am soooooooo close. You are like the best. I give my most sincerest thanks 10000000 times and once more. Just this last problem and it is fixed!!!!!!

Si
Is there a special command to go into root?

su

enteryourrootpassword

markjensen

su

enteryourrootpassword

As long as you are sure that you remember your root password.. :pinch:

Otherwise, I sense a re-install in your future...

Glad I was able to help you get close to fixing your problem.

Si
As long as you are sure that you remember your root password.. :pinch:

Otherwise, I sense a re-install in your future...

Glad I was able to help you get close to fixing your problem.

oops I just realised I stole your thread, you have my sincerest apologies :pinch: :whistle:

Widdowmaker

im updating windows and then going to try my 2ndary pass. it might be the root one. On an unrelated note anyone know what dwwin.exe is? It is int he WINDOWS ServicePack1 Folder. And when i try to shutdown it says it could not start. i deleted it and it wants me to restore my windows XP with the disc. Bah, all the more reason to go to linux.

Widdowmaker

This post comes to ytou from a working Red HAt Linux 9 desktop. THANKS!!!!!!!

Now my real problem that lead to this. For some reason all text on the web shows up as like, size 8 or 6 font. And all my games (the pre-packaged chess for example) are too big for the screen.

On another note. Linux doesent support 1200X1024 does it? If it does how do i make it appear in the options?

On another another note. In the XBoard Chess game there are timers. How can i turn them off?

EDIT: onm another another another note. The mouse sensitivity speed, at its lowest. IS way to slow. BUt one up from the lowest is WAAAAAY to fast. Is there a way to set it at like 1.5?

markjensen
oops I just realised I stole your thread, you have my sincerest apologies :pinch: :whistle:

LOL

I hope my comment didn't come across like that!

I mentioned the root password thing because this whole problem ended up being due to a local root compromise! :rofl:

All work here is community, I was just acknowledging his thanks he posted earlier... :p

markjensen
Now my real problem that lead to this. For some reason all text on the web shows up as like, size 8 or 6 font. And all my games (the pre-packaged chess for example) are too big for the screen.
That should be a setting under Edit => Preferences (Mozilla/Firebird) for Fonts.
On another note. Linux doesent support 1200X1024 does it? If it does how do i make it appear in the options?
Yes it does. It goes much higher, too. If it doesn't appear in your options then it is because you told it (probably indirectly) that it can't. This would be based on your Video Card settings and Monitor settings (and can be found as 'device' and 'screen' in XF86Config, I believe). You can re-run your setup and pick the correct card and monitor types. Or, you can (if you are comfortable doing this) edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and add the resolution manually.
On another another note. In the XBoard Chess game there are timers. How can i turn them off?
I haven't got a clue. :blink:
The mouse sensitivity speed, at its lowest. IS way to slow. BUt one up from the lowest is WAAAAAY to fast. Is there a way to set it at like 1.5?
Got me on this one, too.... I am happy where my slider set me. :(
Widdowmaker

Thanks mark, you have been a super duper ultimate great all time favorite help. I supose ill just toy around with linux. (Lesson learned, if it wants root password, DONT DO IT!!!)

markjensen

:blink: All that work, and you are going to 'just toy around with linux'???? :argh:

Oh, the injustice!

(LOL, hope you have fun playing and spend time and learn how fun it can be! If you end up ditching it for Windows or something, that's cool, too. You have tried harder than 95% of other Windows users! :yes: )

idkfa

Well I just finished reading this whole thread and here's a (Y) to you markjensen, you did a great job helping him out. If your new to linux, buggering it up and fixing the problem is always a fun learning curve :pinch:

dewy
and you assumed this would be possible?? mwahahahahahaa :devil:

actually it is (i had a TV (still in shed) that could do this)... One of the old ones with push button nubers (also the one with the knob) turn the TV off push the button turn it on whalla... :woot: