which should I get, m.2 ssd or 2.5 ssd for the same price?

Go with the M.2 if your board has a M.2 slot. Otherwise, get the SATA one. If you are unsure, give us the model of your motherboard/laptop :)

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Go with the M.2 if your board has a M.2 slot. Otherwise, get the SATA one. If you are unsure, give us the model of your motherboard/laptop :)

Pretty sure it has an M.2 slot. https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x250_hmm_en_sp40f30022.pdf

Why you recommend the M.2 over the ssd?

16 minutes ago, ultimate99 said:

Pretty sure it has an M.2 slot. https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x250_hmm_en_sp40f30022.pdf

Why you recommend the M.2 over the ssd?

What Astra said. It has faster read/write speeds as well. But in running, yes, it'd be the same.

I run a Samsung 950 256GB M.2 along with a Samsung 860 (?) Pro 256GB SSD. M.2 for system, SSD for home folder/backup.

A quick post...without double checking myself. Just posting as a reminder to myself to look into this further when I get home.

That m.2 you linked to is SATA interface...so it really isn't any faster/slower than a "regular" ol' SATA SSD.

Of of the two, I would get the one on Amazon (name brand/source). The one on eBay looks a bit sketchy. Never heard of KingSpec and the listing states "M.2, PCI Express" ... yet there is a SATA logo on the drive.

Now...if you do get a m.2 drive... You could always keep the spinner as a secondary drive...so that would be a bonus.

Once again... This is just a quick observation and I could be wrong.

@goretsky... Do you have this particular notebook? Lenovo X250

KingSpec is a knockoff from Kingston. Personally, I wouldn't get that.

On second look, that one looks like an M-SATA than a M.2. M.2 drives are usually slimmer than that...

I would not suggest getting an off-brand SSD. Nor would I suggest getting an M.2 drive unless you are getting a premium drive that can actually make use of the additional bandwidth. If you ever need to plug that drive into something else (e.g. to recover data), M.2 is going to be a pain.

If I had to pick between the 2, I would take the Crucial. If I could pick anything, I'd take a Samsung.

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

That's not an M.2, mate. That's M-SATA. 2 completely different things.

Oh ya, I kinda noticed after posting.... oh well.

Hello,

I own a ThinkPad X250¹, and it can take both an M.2 2242 SATA SSD and a 2.5" HDD or SATA drive that's 7.0mm high (e.g., the standard height for 2.5" SSDs, these days).

Given a choice between the two, I would suggest going with the M.2 drive, not necessarily because it is the fastest or least expensive, but because of their relative rarity compared to their M.2 2280 or 2.5" counterparts.  Putting one in now before they become hard-to-find, more expensive, or suffer from some other kind of scarcity is a good idea.  You can then always add a commonly-available 2.5" SSD later if you need additional storage.

One caveat, though:  The M.2 2242 expansion slot is normally used for a WWAN (cellular modem) card.  If you have one of these installed then you cannot stick a SSD in the slot without giving up WWAN connectivity.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

¹It's not currently with me, though, but about 1,200 miles (1,900 km) away, so I can't do things like post photographs of the internals.

5 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I own a ThinkPad X250¹, and it can take both an M.2 2242 SATA SSD and a 2.5" HDD or SATA drive that's 7.0mm high (e.g., the standard height for 2.5" SSDs, these days).

Given a choice between the two, I would suggest going with the M.2 drive, not necessarily because it is the fastest or least expensive, but because of their relative rarity compared to their M.2 2280 or 2.5" counterparts.  Putting one in now before they become hard-to-find, more expensive, or suffer from some other kind of scarcity is a good idea.  You can then always add a commonly-available 2.5" SSD later if you need additional storage.

One caveat, though:  The M.2 2242 expansion slot is normally used for a WWAN (cellular modem) card.  If you have one of these installed then you cannot stick a SSD in the slot without giving up WWAN connectivity.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

¹It's not currently with me, though, but about 1,200 miles (1,900 km) away, so I can't do things like post photographs of the internals.

apparently, the M.2 2242 is hard to find already, at least in canada.

9 hours ago, ultimate99 said:

Oh ya, I kinda noticed after posting.... oh well.

yeah it's a pain to tell the difference sometimes, especially for someone new to M2 drives like you and myself

been looking at getting an M2 compatible mobo with my next upgrade and even just looking into things is a bit of a pain when checking which version a mobo supports