Minnesota school district removes 'To Kill a Mockingbird,' 'Huckleberry Finn' from required reading due to n-word

A Minnesota school district removed classic novels “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” from its required reading lists due to the novels' use of a racial slur.

Michael Cary, the director of curriculum and instruction for Duluth School District, announced the two books were removed due to the n-word being used throughout both novels.

“We felt that we could still teach the same standards and expectations through other novels that didn’t require students to feel humiliated or marginalized by the use of racial slurs,” Cary told the Duluth News Tribune.

The two books would be available in school libraries if students were interested in reading them on their own, FOX 21 Online reported.

Cary said the books were removed in order to be “considerate of all of its students.”

Stephan Witherspoon, the president of NAACP’s local chapter, said he welcomed the decision. He called the novels “hurtful” that “use hurtful language that has oppressed the people for over 200 years.”

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/08/minnesota-school-district-removes-to-kill-mockingbird-huckleberry-finn-from-required-reading-due-to-n-word.html

Considering the N word is used in a lot of media (music, movies, tv) and pretty much glorifies or comes of like there is nothing wrong with the N word...removing these books from the curriculum is not going to do anything.

Way to enforce the stereotype that black persons are not as intelligent as their white equivalent by showing them as book hating snow flakes.

“use hurtful language that has oppressed the people for over 200 years.”

ok, so why don't people of the same said race stop using said words to call each other then?... aren't they just continuing the "hurt"? no, honestly, if the word is so hurtful it shouldn't be said by anyone then right? maybe the NAACP should start asking that rappers, etc stop glorifying said word...

8 hours ago, neufuse said:

“use hurtful language that has oppressed the people for over 200 years.”

ok, so why don't people of the same said race stop using said words to call each other then?... aren't they just continuing the "hurt"? no, honestly, if the word is so hurtful it shouldn't be said by anyone then right? maybe the NAACP should start asking that rappers, etc stop glorifying said word...

My thoughts exactly, I do not listen to rap/hip-hop can't stand it, but I hear enough of it to know that these "singers" love to refer to each other with the n word, and they think it is perfectly fine, so lets see the NAACP say something about that... I doubt it will happen.

Seems book burning and groupthink aren't limited to the Nazis. Color me unsurprised; one more confirmation of Jean-Pierre Faye's 'horseshoe theory' of political extremism. At some point, which we are very close to, the far left and far right converge - both becoming totalitarian. 

Orwell tried to warn us.

Edited by DocM

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

I can't believe this stupidity.

To Kill A Mockingbird teaches about the evil of racism.

On that we can agree, but the signs have been there for a long time.

How hypocritical is it for progressive women's liberation types to cry "CHOICE!" day and night, but then demean women who make one they don't approve of? 

Etc.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DocM said:

On that we can agree, but the signs have been there for a long time.

How hypocritical is it for progressive women's liberation types to cry "CHOICE!" day and night, but then demean women who make one they don't approve of? 

Etc.

What?

26 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

What?

The recent examples of book restrictions like this have been progressives in the district admin enforcing their latest version of NewSpeak, which of course mandates rewrites of classical works in. Can't offend those virgin ears, don't 'ya know :argh:

My example was one of progressive  hypocricy. Same disease, different symptom. 

3 hours ago, Shiranui said:

Maybe they could change his name to N-word Jim, like they did in Jean-Claude Van Johnson.

you know, not once in the book he is actually called "N***** Jim" only Jim. The N-words is used, but never in such combination.

He is introduced as big ######, named Jim, and afterwords is called only Jim I believe.

Stupid decision. Both books are good reading.

• Like 2

WTF?  To Kill a Mockingbird is a fantastic novel/movie that teaches tolerance and understanding, and teaches that the colour of your skin should means absolutely nothing in this world.  It also shows the other side of the world in persecution of people based on the colour of their skin.  How is it in anyway a bad thing?

22 hours ago, Dinggus said:

Guess we should band AC/DC - Highway To Hell song for using the N word.

It doesn't say it?

On 2/12/2018 at 7:09 PM, DocM said:

progressives in the district admin

If you want to be totally fair, the retardation works the other way, too; conservative groups going apeshit over "racey" material... The Grapes of Wrath, Call of the Wild, The Scarlet Letter, The Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22, etc etc, the list is very long, for "blasphemy" and "profanity" and "subversive"

We can wag our fingers at progressive idiocy, but remember that it is hardly the only form of idiocy.

1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

If you want to be totally fair, the retardation works the other way, too; conservative groups .....

Which is why I prefaced my remark with,

The recent examples of book restrictions like this....

The same almost always progressive* mentality that suspends a kid for be having a gun in school for bringing in a plastic toy soldier.

* teaching is dominated by Democrats 

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

9 hours ago, techbeck said:

I said it before, words like the N word is used in every day talk but a lot of people.  Turn on the radio, watch a movie, watch a YouTube clip.  Banning these books will do little to nothing here.

That is very true, I hear it almost everyday I go outside, and I know that my daughter who is 16 hears it at school all the time, so really banning a book because it says a (perceived) offensive word is just like closing the door after the chickens got out, an exercise in futility! 

5 hours ago, Dinggus said:

You're correct, guess I'm a racist.

It's 2018 mate.  Everyone is a racist, sexist, xenophobe, offensive ######.  I hope you're not a male too!