McAfee "Lifesave" failed to save my computer!

techbeck    5,563
3 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

I got a call from Dell. I traced the source phone number and found it really was them by calling it; they were even able to tell me when I bought my computer, the ID number, etc. - so it is genuine. They cleaned out the worm and fixed or installed security software (theirs; not McAfee). My computer now has never run faster or better. I think they may have installed beta security software, as the guy I deal with at Dell calls about once a week to check it by linking to my computer. I keep no financial or otherwise sensitive information usable to hackers on my computer; only on removable USB memory.

Ummm, did you log a call with them and they called you back?  Because Dell would not just call you out of the blue.  And scammers know a lot of info about people.  Tried to order 80k worth of equipment from a supplier at work.  PO looked legit and they used employees names, phone numbers, and addresses.  You can literally type in any service tag on Dell's site and get the warranty/order info.  And service tags are not hard to figure out.  A lot of time, you just need one service tag number and another can just be one character different.

+warwagon    10,434

The reason the computer probably ran so fast after is because they removed Mcafee!! LOL

DConnell    5,539
14 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

its called common sense

You'd be amazed at how many people for whom that seems to shut off when they sit in front of a computer.

+warwagon    10,434
21 minutes ago, DConnell said:

You'd be amazed at how many people for whom that seems to shut off when they sit in front of a computer.

To be fair, take an unsophisticated user and put scary writing in front of them. "Don't turn off your computer, or you will lose everything" "Your computer has been infected" ... I don't blame them for freaking out.

DConnell    5,539
1 minute ago, warwagon said:

To be fair, take an unsophisticated user and put scary writing in front of them. "Don't turn off your computer, or you will lose everything" "Your computer has been infected" ... I don't blame them for freaking out.

That's reasonable, actually. Of course the users I support (at work and on my own time) generally know to call me for stuff like that.

But too many will just do a Google search for the program they want and click the first link without checking if it's legit. That's what I'm talking about. That's what directing people to the Store, and encouraging developers to put their software in the Store, would cut down on.