• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

McAfee "Lifesave" failed to save my computer!

Brandon H    3,139
4 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

oh no, The Russians....

/jk;)

Kaspersky does make good software.

haha yeah. never used their main anti-virus personally but their recovery boot disk has saved me a few times fixing friends' PCs with viruses that like to put themselves back if deleted from within windows. :) 

Euphoria    2,030

McAfee is the biggest malware garbage that exists. I would recommend to uninstall it and wipe your system down if it comes preinstalled on any system you may purchase.

Mando    5,117
50 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

haha yeah. never used their main anti-virus personally but their recovery boot disk has saved me a few times fixing friends' PCs with viruses that like to put themselves back if deleted from within windows. :) 

aye their recovery CD is a good product (although i lean more towards Aviras Live CD) but their OS security solutions, while effective, are too resource heavy and have so many system hooks, dont know if it still does it, but it used to superimpose a Kapersky logo in the boot up process, like wtf is the point in that!

Avast was once good, but it let me down too many times not being able to deal with a couple of worms, i used to be one of their beta testers. To be fair that was approx 4 years ago, havnt looked at any other platforms since going Webroot SA tbvh.

If Webroot is good enough to be built into checkpoint UTMS and firewalls, then thats all the thumbs up I need. Those Israelis sure know IT security :) ahem! 

+warwagon    13,202
1 hour ago, BudMan said:

I am really doubting that to be honest.. Dell would not support your antivirus product of choice.. While you could get support from Mcafee - I juts find it hard to believe dell would do this..

This really common scam... Scare/Show user they are Infected with XYZ, offer to fix XYZ for $$$ - profit ;)

You do understand there have been Dell and Windows Support Scam's shoot even Mcafee for years and years..

Exactly, I get these types of calls from customers all the times. I would love to know what number he contacted for dell support. Probably call the wrong number by googling it.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, Howard Davis said:

DO NOT DEPEND ON McAfee ANTIVIRUS!

Despite having up-to-date McAfee "Life Save" on my computer, it was infected by the Koobface spyware worm. McAfee DID NOT PROTECT ME from this malware, which probably was acquired from a website. Subsequent to getting this malware information was hacked from my computer from three different locations. Fixing this was done through Dell at a cost to me of $100 plus several days of aggravation and inconvenience. I cancelled my automatic renewal of McAfee and will be researching and shopping for better protection in the future. If you have McAfee, DON'T TRUST IT!

Do you have the number you called?

Did you get a giant warning box on your browser telling you that you are infected and to call a number?

Jim K    13,735
2 hours ago, BudMan said:

I am really doubting that to be honest.. Dell would not support your antivirus product of choice.. While you could get support from Mcafee - I juts find it hard to believe dell would do this..

This really common scam... Scare/Show user they are Infected with XYZ, offer to fix XYZ for $$$ - profit ;)

You do understand there have been Dell and Windows Support Scam's shoot even Mcafee for years and years..

^ This. I wonder now if OP got conned through one of those fake support popups ... though 100 bucks seems a bit low. 

Guess if they connected through DellConnect it was legit...if "Dell" used TeamViewer (or equivalent), had OP look at various disabled services, had command prompt opened where it "scanned" files and showed "koobface", OP provided payment information via some sketchy website or notepad...etc...scam alert.  Koobface is very popular for those fake support scammers and it is a very old worm.

Not saying that happened...but it does happen. My friends Grandpa got scammed this way...ended with them SysKey'ing it.  I ended up just nuking his Windows install (luckily it was just a HTPC with all media on other drives). Few months later he got ransomwared ... luckily there was a decrypter.  He is a perfect example of someone who needs Windows 10S. :)

• Like 1

Marujan    92
1 hour ago, nekrosoft13 said:

oh no, The Russians....

/jk;)

Kaspersky does make good software.

thats true))) russians spends millions of dollars annually to steal your grandma B-Day photos from your computers:D they really need it:laugh:

DConnell    6,583
20 hours ago, Jim K said:

Not saying that happened...but it does happen. My friends Grandpa got scammed this way...ended with them SysKey'ing it.  I ended up just nuking his Windows install (luckily it was just a HTPC with all media on other drives). Few months later he got ransomwared ... luckily there was a decrypter.  He is a perfect example of someone who needs Windows 10S. :)

Quoted for truth. I think the people who blast Microsoft for adding a Store to Windows and creating locked down versions of Windows have never dealt with this kind of user. IMO the sooner the Store becomes the standard source for software for consumer users the better!

nekrosoft13    724
On 2/13/2018 at 1:52 PM, Marujan said:

thats true))) russians spends millions of dollars annually to steal your grandma B-Day photos from your computers:D they really need it:laugh:

damn, I need to warn my grandma

nekrosoft13    724
12 hours ago, DConnell said:

Quoted for truth. I think the people who blast Microsoft for adding a Store to Windows and creating locked down versions of Windows have never dealt with this kind of user. IMO the sooner the Store becomes the standard source for software for consumer users the better!

well i do understand the need to protect all the morons out there, but I do not support the idea of the store becoming the standard source, just because some users are morons doesn't mean rest need to suffer.

Microsoft store horrible, and I hate the UWP, haven't seen a single UWP app that is better than normal 'desktop" app.

• Like 1

+warwagon    13,202

Always wondered how people end up with driver updater on their system. Well today, I get a call from a lady who was looking for a Panasonic KX-4833 (not sure of the exact model number) phone system plastic overlay. Well, I found them online for her and she ordered them but before I disconnected she said: "when trying to find that stuff on the internet, they always tell you your drivers are out of date". ... sure enough, while googling Plastic overlays for her phone she downloaded and installed "Driver Updater".

• Like 1

DConnell    6,583
6 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

well i do understand the need to protect all the morons out there, but I do not support the idea of the store becoming the standard source, just because some users are morons doesn't mean rest need to suffer.

Microsoft store horrible, and I hate the UWP, haven't seen a single UWP app that is better than normal 'desktop" app.

And how exactly would you prevent users from being fooled by the fake program links you get on any web search if not by promoting a store as a first stop for software? The answer to the MS store being "horrible" (your opinion not mine) is to encourage both users and developers to use it. not to ignore it.

HawkMan    5,232
On 11.2.2018 at 4:50 PM, Howard Davis said:

DO NOT DEPEND ON McAfee ANTIVIRUS!

Despite having up-to-date McAfee "Life Save" on my computer, it was infected by the Koobface spyware worm. McAfee DID NOT PROTECT ME from this malware, which probably was acquired from a website. Subsequent to getting this malware information was hacked from my computer from three different locations. Fixing this was done through Dell at a cost to me of $100 plus several days of aggravation and inconvenience. I cancelled my automatic renewal of McAfee and will be researching and shopping for better protection in the future. If you have McAfee, DON'T TRUST IT!

NO AV protects against all ransomware. NO AV protects against zero day ransomware. 

also NO AV protects against hacking, firewalls help but are no guarantee against targetted hacking. I'm pretty sure you weren't actually "hacked" anyway, but a victim of a different or precursor virus/worm/malware to the koobface one. 

• Like 1

HawkMan    5,232
6 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

The store has win32 apps too now. 

and UWP now has all the capabilities of "regular" desktop apps. and over time will become your regular desktop apps as the new windows versions with just UWP becomes standard and more and more big developers migrated their old win32 platform apps to UWP. 

• Like 1

dipsylalapo    1,804
8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

NO AV protects against all ransomware. NO AV protects against zero day ransomware. 

also NO AV protects against hacking, firewalls help but are no guarantee against targetted hacking. I'm pretty sure you weren't actually "hacked" anyway, but a victim of a different or precursor virus/worm/malware to the koobface one. 

Even if we had a perfect AV, nothing protects against lack of user knowledge. Not highlighting OP, but my family have time and again and crap installed because they clicked something they shouldn't have. 

• Like 1

HawkMan    5,232
8 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Even if we had a perfect AV, nothing protects against lack of user knowledge. Not highlighting OP, but my family have time and again and crap installed because they clicked something they shouldn't have. 

True, at the end of the day, the only thing that's safe is a firewalled backup. that isn't constantly connected to the computer, whether it's cloud or physical. But if it physical/local, you need to make sure backup is only performed when the machine is guaranteed clean and it disconnects after. 

• Like 1

DConnell    6,583
3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Exactly.

Once again, that 's why I advocate the store for regular consumer users - it helps keep them from getting infected. Even if the UWA version of a program is lighter in features, it's often sufficient for most people. And, with the exception of Windows 10 S, there's still the option of the Win32 version. And the Store can offer that as well, if the developer chooses to list it there. (I forget, does 10 S run Win32 apps that are installed from the Store?)

So, given the fact that the Store offers a safer place to obtain software, and can offer both UWA apps (which are becoming more powerful as the platform matures) and established Win32 apps, what reason is there really to not point consumer users to the Store as their first option for most software? You can still download from the web if the software you want isn't in the Store, so what's the harm in having the Store?

Try spending a few hours with a friend's "running slow" laptop, clearing off 2000 malware and "PUP" hits and then decide if having a curated source for PC software is a bad idea.

bikeman25    64

From what it's worth, Not sure if matters to anyone or not, but when i got my new gaming Laptop just after Christmas,  i decided to install my usual Antivirus--Avast Free that I've been using for the last 10-15 years,  started using Avast in late 2005 on all systems,  due to after testing Windows Live Onecare and it missing a dangerous boot sector virus in WIndows XP days, been uneasy sticking with Windows Defender even on WIndows 10.   

Avast Offers the following in the free edition

Behavior Shield

FIle Shield

Webshield

Mail Shield

and new Expolit Shield 

(those are the shields i run on each system, and performance is great with it, even while gaming)     Maybe it's not as great as it was years ago, but so far i have had no issues with it, so choose to keep Avast installed,    For some folks though Defender maybe good, not sure

Howard Davis    17
On 2/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, warwagon said:

Exactly, I get these types of calls from customers all the times. I would love to know what number he contacted for dell support. Probably call the wrong number by googling it.

Do you have the number you called?

Did you get a giant warning box on your browser telling you that you are infected and to call a number?

I got a call from Dell. I traced the source phone number and found it really was them by calling it; they were even able to tell me when I bought my computer, the ID number, etc. - so it is genuine. They cleaned out the worm and fixed or installed security software (theirs; not McAfee). My computer now has never run faster or better. I think they may have installed beta security software, as the guy I deal with at Dell calls about once a week to check it by linking to my computer. I keep no financial or otherwise sensitive information usable to hackers on my computer; only on removable USB memory.

Jim K    13,735

Dell called you...out of the blue?

Oooof. This smells like a scam...speaking of....

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/220444-dell-customers-targeted-by-phone-scams-that-might-be-an-inside-job

Also from Dell...

Keep in mind, we do not make unsolicited calls asking to charge you to fix an issue you did not report or previously request help with unless you have signed up for our premium support services like Dell Tech Concierge, Dell Premium Support or Dell ProSupport services.

https://blog.dell.com/en-us/battle-broadens-against-phone-scams/

• Like 3

Brandon H    3,139

yeah that sounds even more suspicious, especially if they're randomly remoting in weekly now of their own accord. Dell also does not make Anti-Virus software so ....

• Like 1

bikeman25    64

What Antivirus Software did Dell Install?   Suspicious for sure them calling/remoting in weekly to check on the software,  Dell doesn't own or make any antivirus software.    Good luck and hopefully your not infected or have any other problems

+warwagon    13,202
1 hour ago, Howard Davis said:

I got a call from Dell. I traced the source phone number and found it really was them by calling it; they were even able to tell me when I bought my computer, the ID number, etc. - so it is genuine. They cleaned out the worm and fixed or installed security software (theirs; not McAfee). My computer now has never run faster or better. I think they may have installed beta security software, as the guy I deal with at Dell calls about once a week to check it by linking to my computer. I keep no financial or otherwise sensitive information usable to hackers on my computer; only on removable USB memory.

Let me guess .. ZFSendToTarget=CLSID{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}

They have you find that in the command prompt. It's the same on every computer.  It's a trick to convince someone making them think they are now legit and they know about their machine.

• Like 1

nekrosoft13    724
12 hours ago, DConnell said:

And how exactly would you prevent users from being fooled by the fake program links you get on any web search if not by promoting a store as a first stop for software? The answer to the MS store being "horrible" (your opinion not mine) is to encourage both users and developers to use it. not to ignore it.

its called common sense

techbeck    6,928

McAfee Lifesave...an oxymoron if I ever did see one.

exotoxic    684
3 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

I got a call from Dell.

Scam alert!

Edit: Add some more information, what security software, what phone number etc...