McAfee "Lifesave" failed to save my computer!

1 minute ago, GTR707 said:

Clearly once again your are clueless. 

Capture.PNG

You posted an image from testing from July 2017 - November 2017 which showed Panda as #1.  Steven P made a comment that Panda paid for the results.  Not sure if he was joking or not, probably.  You then post a real world protection result for November 2017 only which shows Panda as #8.  And you are calling Steven P clueless?  Umm, ok then.

3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Clearly Bullguard are paying for these results.

Only one thing is clear here..............................you are clueless about today's antivirus testing. 

Only one thing is clear here..............................you are clueless about today's antivirus testing. 

Clearly someone is paying you for these results. /s

PS: I have MalwareBytes and I don't even pretend to know much about AV kay?

Just now, techbeck said:

You posted an image from testing from July 2017 - November 2017 which showed Panda as #1.  Steven P made a comment that Panda paid for the results.  Not sure if he was joking or not, probably.  You then post a real world protection result for November 2017 only which shows Panda as #8.  And you are calling Steven P clueless?  Umm, ok then.

It's called different tests. Why don't you go there yourself and see. He saw Panda #1 and thinks Panda paid off AV Comp. So i posted another test now he think Bullguard paid them off. 

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Clearly someone is paying you for these results. /s

PS: I have MalwareBytes and I don't even pretend to know much about AV kay?

The fact the you use MABM have the released version 3 is really dumb. MalwareBytes was good back in version 3. But EEK, HMP and Zemana are all far better second opinion scanners. 

Just now, GTR707 said:

It's called different tests. Why don't you go there yourself and see. He saw Panda #1 and thinks Panda paid off AV Comp. So i posted another test now he think Bullguard paid them off. 

And he was joking.  Take a joke.  Look at his last comment.

Someone made a comment on an image/test you posted. You called them clueless and posted different results to support your comment and the results were from a different time frame. 

2 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

The fact the you use MABM have the released version 3 is really dumb. MalwareBytes was good back in version 3. But EEK, HMP and Zemana are all far better second opinion scanners. 

I apologize fella for not getting your opinion and permission first before I bought my MalwareBytes Premium license /s

Just now, GTR707 said:

Here is another test. I guess Trend Micro also paid off AV Comparatives. 

Dude, relax.  He was joking and was not serious.  You are making  yourself look foolish now.

Here is another test. I guess Trend Micro also paid off AV Comparatives. 

Capture.PNG

They did! :o /s

Just now, Steven P. said:

I apologize fella for not getting your opinion and permission first before I bought my MalwareBytes Premium license /s

LMFAO...............you actually paid for protection. That is problem #1. 

Just now, GTR707 said:

Ahh I didn't know I was talking to a freeloader :)

Just now, Steven P. said:

When there are 5 other free antiviruses that scores higher then most paid antiviruses there is absolutely no reason to spend any money. As in matter of fact Windows Defender on Windows 10 is more than enough protection for the average pc user. Just like you don't need to spend money on Office when Docs is free. 

3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

And it is your money, can do what  you want.  I have also paid for some free versions of software because the damn ads/popups got annoying as hell.

Just now, techbeck said:

And it is your money, can do what  you want.  I have also paid for some free versions of software because the damn ads/popups got annoying as hell.

There are no ads/ pop ups in Kaspersky Free, BitDefender Free, Windows Defender or Panda. Avast and AVG have an occasional ad/ pop up. About 1 a month. I have used them all. 

57 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

There are no ads/ pop ups in Kaspersky Free, BitDefender Free, Windows Defender or Panda. Avast and AVG have an occasional ad/ pop up. About 1 a month. I have used them all. 

More to the point, this wasn't an AV issue. This was a scammer who took advantage of OP and used remote assist to control his PC. So regardless of what AV he used, it was never going to protect him.

So instead of taking this off topic with pointless AV comparisons and results, help the OP and contribute or stop the pointless arguing.

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

More to the point, this wasn't an AV issue. This was a scammer who took advantage of OP and used remote assist to control his PC. So regardless of what AV he used, it was never going to protect him.

So instead of taking this off topic with pointless AV comparisons and results, help the OP and contribute or stop the pointless arguing.

No one took advantage of him. It's called common sense. So I guess when the IRS calls you threatening you to pay up you better. LMFAO. Only person to blame is between the seat and the keyboard. No anitvirus can protect anyone who is naive enough to fall for stuff like that. 

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

ESET is one of the best AV and security software suites you can buy, so uninstall McAfee and install ESET provided by Gorestsky.

You can keep ESET and Malwarebytes on your PC without causing conflict.

Just to reiterate this, the scammer did not install a malicious application to gain access to your PC. I suspect all he did was walk you through the installation of a remote access application (Splashtop). This application has perfectly legit uses for computers and would never be identified by anti-virus products as a threat. He could have done the same with any number of remote access applications such as TeamViewer, LogMeIn and others. If he did, again, they will not appear as malicious software when you scan for threats using McAfee or Malwarebytes. That is why we are stressing that your PC may still be accessible by the scammer. Have you noticed any more odd behaviour like the screen flashing black or the mouse moving on its own since you uninstalled Splashtop?

If he was more professional in his methods once he took control of your PC, he could have done any number of more malicious activities, but that doesn't appear to be the case. We can't be 100% sure though. This is why it is a really good idea to backup your important data to an external device and format this PC for a clean break.

Thanks for the information, Andrew. I went to "uninstall or change a program" to find and uninstall Splashtop. Since then, no black screens or weird mouse pointer movement. The program list has nothing questionable remaining except a recent Dell update that should have self-installed and probably should not appear here. I also see some things from "Microsoft corporation" that came in during the period the scammer had access to my computer - such as Microsoft.NET Framework 4.7.1. There are probably benign - ?

2 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks for the information, Andrew. I went to "uninstall or change a program" to find and uninstall Splashtop. Since then, no black screens or weird mouse pointer movement. The program list has nothing questionable remaining except a recent Dell update that should have self-installed and probably should not appear here. I also see some things from "Microsoft corporation" that came in during the period the scammer had access to my computer - such as Microsoft.NET Framework 4.7.1. There are probably benign - ?

Did Mando ever remote in to look around? 

I would still nuke the Windows install (though Mando, or someone similar, would be the next next thing)

43 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Also, new scams come out all the time.   Some of them you really need to look closely at  to determine if they are scams or not.  The way email is spoofed and written is getting better and better as well.  Scammers also create domain names very similar to a companies domain name as well create email addresses to match.  PITA.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Also, new scams come out all the time.   Some of them you really need to look closely at  to determine if they are scams or not.  The way email is spoofed and written is getting better and better as well.  Scammers also create domain names very similar to a companies domain name as well create email addresses to match.  PITA.

Yup, they are called IDN homograph attacks (N)

I still find email scams are pretty easy to spot if you know the tricks they pull, but even if you don't, a good rule of thumb is to navigate to a website / service manually and not follow a link provided in the email contents. Plus if they start asking for payment details, have a tone of urgency (i.e someone accessed your account, login to change your password), or notify you of a payment you don't recognize (thank you for your Amazon order of XYZ, click here to cancel), it's a bit samey and plays on emotion more than technical ability or lack of on the target's side.

2 hours ago, GTR707 said:

mate, can you help the OP please, bickering with a poster (regardless if its the site owner or not) doesnt help Howard, thats what we are here to do, not to have an e-p**sing contest on who is more uber with malware protection.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mando said:

mate, can you help the OP please, bickering with a poster (regardless if its the site owner or not) doesnt help Howard, thats what we are here to do, not to have an e-p**sing contest on who is more uber with malware protection.

If what he said is true then step 1 is:

Check your credit and call your banks

Nuke the hard drive 

Reinstall Windows

Never make the same mistake again

The topic at hand states "McAfee failed to save my computer" which is clearly not true. The user failed himself

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-windows-detected-koobface-virus-popups/

In the future you do not need to spend $100 or any money on removing malware. Keep in mind that every pc comes with a hidden recovery partition. This will bring your computer back to square one.  Koobface ahs been around for years and every av has detections for it including McAfee. Sure you did not call a fake Dell support? 

https://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=152845

Edited by GTR707

On 3/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, Jim K said:

Did Mando ever remote in to look around? 

I would still nuke the Windows install (though Mando, or someone similar, would be the next next thing)

I'm in touch with Mando and will probably accept his generous offer.

• Like 3