• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xerox blames clogged courtroom printers for 1990s crime rates

Recommended Posts

+Mirumir    5,635
Quote

 

Xerox blames clogged courtroom printers for 1990s crime rates

 

Chicago's high crime rates in the 1990s can be blamed on the court system's cheap paper causing jammed printers, according to engineers at Xerox. "What was happening was, lawyers had to deliver certain court documents to the defence attorneys within a certain amount of time. Otherwise, the defendant was let go. And they were losing two out of three cases because of paper jams," the head of Xerox's Media Technology Centre, John Viavattine, told the New Yorker for a story on paper jams. "Two out of three defendants were gone—walking out the door—because of paper jams. And the problem was that they were using some off-brand, really down-in-the-dumps paper." Despite experts crediting better policing strategies for lowering the crime rate in the 1990s, Xerox is taking credit for it. "Now you know why the crime rate in Chicago went down," paper jam team head Eric Ruiz told the magazine. Not everyone believes the tale. A police officer told the Telegraph that the city wasn't advanced enough to be using printers in the early 1990s but instead was still using carbon paper. 

 

@DocM

 

The Chicago crime mystery has been solved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zinomian    141

Funny....we just replaced our entire printer/copier fleet with Canon because the Xerox printers/copiers kept breaking, jamming, and overall poor quality.

 

and dont get me started with their drivers... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    3,679
52 minutes ago, Zinomian said:

Funny....we just replaced our entire printer/copier fleet with Canon because the Xerox printers/copiers kept breaking, jamming, and overall poor quality.

 

and dont get me started with their drivers... :(

dont get me started on canon printers..... we had a bunch of large Imagerunner, they jammed all the time, broke down a lot... we switched from them to richo (bad mistake) and just switched a year ago to Konica-Minolta printers and so far not too bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
riot    28
4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

dont get me started on canon printers..... we had a bunch of large Imagerunner, they jammed all the time, broke down a lot... we switched from them to richo (bad mistake) and just switched a year ago to Konica-Minolta printers and so far not too bad

I've tried Toshiba, Canon, Xerox and Konica-Minolta and they all have their issues.  For my environment Canon seemed to perform the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    3,679
1 minute ago, riot said:

I've tried Toshiba, Canon, Xerox and Konica-Minolta and they all have their issues.  For my environment Canon seemed to perform the best.

yeah, especially the rollers fusers and using "wrong" paper weights... ugh

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
riot    28

Yeah, I was surprised that paper weight alone can throw a copier into turmoil so quickly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    3,679
7 minutes ago, riot said:

Yeah, I was surprised that paper weight alone can throw a copier into turmoil so quickly...

yeah and the texture too.. smooth / glossy / slightly rough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.