Sign in to follow this  

US strike in Syria kills Russian fighters in first such clash

+Mirumir    5,535

Someone here was doubting earlier which side the U.S. was backing in the Syrian conflict.

US strike in Syria kills Russian fighters in first such clash

US air and artillery strike has killed Russian combatants in the first lethal violence in Syria between the two nuclear powers, according to sources on both sides. 

While reports have varied widely, claiming anywhere from a handful to more than a hundred Russians were killed and describing them alternately as military troops or private contractors, the 7 February clash nonetheless appears to have been the deadliest between US and Russian citizens since the Cold War. 

Jim K    9,559

Just for clarification purposes (because I said "ut-oh" when I read the headline) ... Russian mercenaries attacked a base which held US personnel ... so unfortunately bad things happened to them. 

Also, per a NY Times article ...

The Kremlin — seeking to play down its involvement in the fighting in Syria and seemingly hoping to avoid escalating tensions with the United States — has sidestepped questions about the episode, even as it faces rare criticism at home over its failure to acknowledge the deaths of Russians in Syria.

It has stressed repeatedly since last Wednesday that no members of the Russian armed forces were killed, and that any Russians fighting alongside the Syrians were mercenaries.

Interesting....

Rippleman    2,940
24 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Someone here was doubting earlier which side the U.S. was backing in the Syrian conflict.

when you are attacked by someone, do you expect them not to return fire only because of the nationality? If so, why? Because they are russian nationals, does that give them a free pass?

+Mirumir    5,535
9 hours ago, Jim K said:

Interesting....

I was reluctant to post about this incident because the western media's reports of "scores of Russians killed" turned out to be grossly exaggerated. 

Russia calls reports of mass Syria casualties 'disinformation': RIA

9 hours ago, Rippleman said:

when you are attacked by someone, do you expect them not to return fire only because of the nationality? If so, why? Because they are russian nationals, does that give them a free pass?

A group of Russian fighters was accompanying the Syrian army, which is liberating the Syrian territory from the terrorists.

What are the Americans doing there? Who is the real aggressor?

+Raze    13,985
33 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I was reluctant to post about this incident because the western media's reports of "scores of Russians killed" turned out to be grossly exaggerated. 

A group of Russian fighters was accompanying the Syrian army, which is liberating the Syrian territory from the terrorists.

What are the Americans doing there? Who is the real aggressor?

Training terrorists and making life difficult for Bashar al-Assad and his cronies.

Jim K    9,559
1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

I'm sure you were reluctant posting about Russians killed by an American strike.  /s

With respect to the disinformation ... most media is reporting that they are unsure of the number of Russians killed ... stating at least a few of those killed were Russian mercenaries perhaps dozens.  Your OP even noted the uncertainty of the exact number.  I'm just relieved it wasn't Russian servicemembers.

+Mirumir    5,535
23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

I'm sure you were reluctant posting about Russians killed by an American strike.  /s

Oh, look, we have another mind-reader!

With respect to the disinformation ... most media is reporting that they are unsure of the number of Russians killed ... stating at least a few of those killed were Russian mercenaries perhaps dozens.  Your OP even noted the uncertainty of the exact number.  I'm just relieved it wasn't Russian servicemembers.

If you do your research, you'll find that "most media" are quoting this Bloomberg article:

U.S. Strikes Killed Scores of Russia Fighters in Syria, Sources Say

Jim K    9,559
5 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Oh, look, we have another mind-reader!

If you do your research, you'll find that "most media" are quoting this Bloomberg article:

U.S. Strikes Killed Scores of Russia Fighters in Syria, Sources Say

"but was unable to say how many were Russians."

+Mirumir    5,535
8 minutes ago, Jim K said:

"but was unable to say how many were Russians."

You don't have to tell me twice about the deceitful and lying nature of the western media (when it comes to Russia) thesedays .

Jim K    9,559
7 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

You don't have to tell me twice about the deceitful and lying nature of the western media (when it comes to Russia) thesedays .

Ok?