At least 17 dead in Florida school shooting, law enforcement says

(CNN)At least 17 people were killed Wednesday in a high school shooting in Parkland, Florida, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said.

The suspect, 19-year-old former student Nikolaus Cruz, is in custody, the sheriff said. The sheriff said he was expelled for unspecified disciplinary reasons. Police are investigating his digital profile, he said. So far, what they've found is "very, very disturbing," Israel said.

Law enforcement transport the suspect in Wednesday's school shooting.

Law enforcement responded to reports of a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shortly before 3 p.m.

Seventeen people, including the suspect, were sent to area hospitals, said Dr. Evan Boyar of Broward Health. The suspect was treated and released to police.

The victims included students and adults, the sheriff said. Twelve were killed inside the building and two died outside, he said. One died in the street and two died at the hospital, Israel said.

The shooting sent students and staff streaming out of the school in a panic. Immediately after the shooting, aerial footage from CNN affiliate WSVN showed people lying on the ground outside the school, being treated for injuries and moved to ambulances.

Freshman Kayden Hanafi said he heard two gunshots and saw people running out of another building on campus. As he and his classmates went into lockdown in a classroom, many thought the noise might have been firecrackers.

"It's really a blessing to still be alive," he said.

Nicole Baltzer, 18, said she was in trigonometry class about 10 minutes before the end of the school day when the fire alarm went off. As students evacuated, she heard six gunshots and everyone started running back inside the school, Baltzer told CNN's Sara Ganim.

"I heard so many gunshots, at least like six. They were very close," Baltzer said.

A police officer told her to close her eyes as she walked past a classroom with broken glass, telling her "there's nothing good to see in there," she said.

A freshman named Aidan posted a photo on social media from inside his math class while on lockdown. Since then, he has left the building.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/florida-high-school-shooting/index.html

Edited by Mockingbird

I want to know is, what has changed in the last 20 years that has created such evil demented individuals who wish to carry out such horrible shootings, Bad Parenting?

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I want to know is, what has changed in the last 20 years that has created such evil demented individuals who wish to carry out such horrible shootings, Bad Parenting?

Gun culture and Republicans' unwillingness to do anything beside offering useless prayers for the dead.

Just now, Mockingbird said:

Gun culture and Republicans' unwillingness to do anything beside offering useless prayers for the dead.

Not getting into a gun argument here, but it's not that. That's just a tool to carry it out. What is the motivation behind it.

• Like 3

Just now, warwagon said:

Not getting into a gun argument here, but it's not that. That's just a tool to carry it out. What is the motivation behind it.

Gun culture.

When Columbine massacre occurred, it shocked the nation.

These days...

Another shooting?

Only 17 dead?

No big deal.

...just offer some useless prayers for the dead and move along

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Gun culture.

When Columbine massacre occurred, it shocked the nation.

These days...

Another shooting?

Only 17 dead?

No big deal.

...just offer some useless prayers for the dead and move along

That has nothing at all to do with what @warwagon asked. It does not mater what the president says, forget that. I understand you obviously hate Trump, that's fine, but this is not the section to debate that, let us focus on the incident. What has changed? That is a very good question, but they mention he was recently expelled, I can not say for sure, but I would guess perhaps guns are more powerful and accessible? Don't bash me if I am wrong, I'm guessing here. Also children now (he was 19) would be considered snowflakes because this age group gets offended over everything and (in this case) took revenge to an extreme. I'm going to guess he was raised by a single parent, possibly abused? The media will say this and more, I'm sure drugs will be an excuse as well (oh he smoked weed, or he did X) which is just a ###### up cop out. 

newsEngin.21258065_20180214_BRB_Douglas_

Andrew Pollack stood outside the hospital Wednesday afternoon with a firm grip on his cell phone, anxiously waiting to hear the words “we found her.”

Pollack and his wife were searching for their daughter Meadow, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. They called her phone so many times Wednesday only to hear it ring and ring and ring.

“We can’t locate her. I keep looking at my phone,” Pollack said outside Broward Health North hospital. “I don’t know where to go from here.”

Pollack rattled off details about his 18-year-old — she plans to go to Lynn University for college. He showed a Palm Beach Post reporter a photo of her wearing a dark, strapless dress and a smile while standing next to her cousin.

As of 7:45 p.m., he still hadn’t heard.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/hospital-father-calls-daughter-but-phone-just-rings-and-rings/drG1Y3ecR8DlT9u95CqV4J/

Gun culture and the kid was expelled for his behavior. Many students say they knew this kid would do something like this. And how did this kid get an ar-15???

Sadly as a country we have to do more, from the issue of these kids getting guns, to the awarness to see if they might do something violent , and sadly more protection at schools (drills and security ) 

This is a new norm now sadly and so many kids are at risk of going unhinged like this 

Edited by wv@gt

24 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Why did you post this? It is not at relevant to the story, I feel you only posted it because of the shirt he was wearing. Understand there's going to a bunch of these stories, there was from the Nightclub shooting in Miami and every other mass shooting. 

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Bad parenting, often they're bullied themselves, but the largest problems are  mental illness which is untreated, meds for same which aren't taken, and the sorry state of our mental health system & laws. 

About that sorry state; 

Key is the disassembly of the public inpatient mental health system by progressive "patients rights" advocates in the 1970's to 1980's. They also made it extremely difficult  for family, law enforcement or anyone else to involuntarily commit someone for more than 72 hours. 

Worse - it became politically correct, and later illegal, for mental health providers to report someone on the edge for confidentiality reasons. To his includes not reporting them to the FBI NICS firearms instant background check system.

This school district also sounds out of touch with their staff, are in denial, or are lying their ass off.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200126034.html

The former student suspected of opening fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland may been identified a potential threat to fellow students in the past, according to one teacher.

The 19-year-old ex-student, who has been detained by Broward police, has not been publicly identified as a suspect. But a law-enforcement source identified him as Nicolas Cruz.

"We were told last year that he wasn't allowed on campus with a backpack on him," said math teacher Jim Gard, who said Cruz had been in his class last year. "There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus."

The Broward County School District Superintendent, however, told reporters on Wednesday afternoon that he did not know of any concerns raised about the student.

"We received no warnings," Superintendent Robert Runcie told reporters outside the school. "Potentially there could have been signs out there. But we didn't have any warning or phone calls or threats that were made."
>

:huh: :argh:

Ok, i'm not a gun guy. But why is it always the AR-15? Is it easy to mod to make it fully automatic? Or are there just so many of them? 

1 minute ago, Xenon said:

Ok, i'm not a gun guy. But why is it always the AR-15? Is it easy to mod to make it fully automatic? Or are there just so many of them? 

There are so many AR-15s and similar style weapons.  Plus you don't need a fully automatic gun to inflict these kind of causalities, a semiautomatic rifle versus a group of people with no gun will win the day all day, every time, with even a decently trained person. 

3 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

Congress is giving this a big so what? So is the toilet brush in the whitehouse.

As long as we have spineless cowards in all three branches, nothing is going to get better.

• Like 2

Functionally, an AR-15 is no different than any semi-automatic hunting rifle with a box magazine.  It's just black and looks meaner.

This semi-automatic small game rifle

1103.thumb.jpg.db759ef4b352f92daca06c4f62e7ed87.jpg

is the same firearm as this

1284.thumb.jpg.641290c6553636b12f449a73d5146286.jpg

and this

11175.thumb.jpg.b4e72007fc4aac6d5d2df6eca54a1718.jpg

7 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

There are so many AR-15s and similar style weapons.  Plus you don't need a fully automatic gun to inflict these kind of causalities, a semiautomatic rifle versus a group of people with no gun will win the day all day, every time, with even a decently trained person. 

So basically any semi automatic rifle could do that kind of shooting? I guess it comes down to the ease of getting it.

6 minutes ago, Xenon said:

So basically any semi automatic rifle could do that kind of shooting? I guess it comes down to the ease of getting it.

Legally or illegally? I could go to certain neighborhoods in Detroit or other large cities  and buy a fully automatic AK-47, RPG, or live grenades.  There was a bust in Detroit last month of a guy selling live grenades to gangsters.

Lawsonly apply to those willing to follow them. They don't do squat to stop criminals or crazies, save for punish them if they're caught.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Unless he owned the guns himself, the likely scenario is that he got them from a relative or friend.  That relative or friend usually almost always has purchased the gun legally and followed all relevant laws to obtain the gun.  Which means the only legislative solution is the complete disarmament of the country, which would never happen so the sooner people accept that, the sooner people can stop thinking there is a perfect legislative solution to this issue.  No matter how many laws are passed, if a person can legally obtain a gun, another person could illegally obtain said gun from him.

1 minute ago, DocM said:

Legally or illegally? I could go to certain neighborhoods in Detroit or other large cities  and buy a fully automatic AK-47, RPG, or live grenades.

I guess both. A friend of mine is a gun guy. He had a AR-15 and said it was a real pain to clean. He sold it (legally) and got a AKM (legally). He told me it was harder to get a hand gun permit than a semi automatic rifle (in my home state).

18 minutes ago, Xenon said:

It's easily obtained and great for inflicting mass casualty.

7 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I guess both. A friend of mine is a gun guy. He had a AR-15 and said it was a real pain to clean. He sold it (legally) and got a AKM (legally). He told me it was harder to get a hand gun permit than a semi automatic rifle (in my home state). 

Handguns are usually harder to get because they're more concealable, but this is a matter of state law.

Here in MI to buy a new or used handgun you need to undergo both a federal and state background check, and you can be denied for an unpaid city ordinance ticket.  Rifles or shotguns are a  federal check only, and only for new ones. Used rifles or shotguns require no check.

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

Handguns are usually harder to get because they're more concealable, but this is a matter of state law.

Here in MI to buy a new or used handgun you need to undergo both a federal and state background check, and you can be denied for an unpaid city ordinance ticket.  Rifles are a  federal check only, and only for new ones. Used rifles require no check.

Just called my friend (his raid night in warcraft) and he says in my state is basically the same expect all rifle sales have to have a federal check. Between people its a federal card and something called a CE. He also says we have a 10 bullet clip limit for rifles. He told me that he thinks that is a good determent against shooting. 

54 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Simple answer:  No

With respect to the AR 15 being used in a lot of mass shootings.  I'm not sure of the reason "why" ... but they are easy to fire, handle, high capacity magazines, capable of carrying many attachments (for example this killer had a vertical fore grip), etc. which could be some of the reasons.

Anyway, terrible for the victims and their families ... I'm usually hesitant is commenting too early when all the facts aren't out.  Another senseless and terrible tragedy.

2 hours ago, wv@gt said:

Many students say they knew this kid would do something like this.

And yet they said and did NOTHING.  From what I've seen, the warning signs were all over the place plain as day.  FFS, there needed to be some sort of intervention with unhinged individuals like this, not complacent nonchalance!