Hard-drive differences in disk management

Is it normal for the two values of the hard disk size to be reported differently? I would expect the two numbers to be the same. I don't want to create a partition. I've tried reformatting the drive and also something called diskpart as suggested by several other websites but it hasn't fixed it. Now I'm trying formatting without "quick format"...its on 1% atm. 

help1.png

Is it a new drive? Are there any bad sectors shown if using the trial of a program such as HD Sentinel? I just checked on my PC and my storage drive doesn't have the difference, they both show the same.

I know there are alternatives to HD Sentinel but I find HDS the most professional. I use it for drive regeneration, it shows the power on time, power count and bad sectors in layman readable form.

HDS.jpg

Just now, Tidosho said:

Is it a new drive? Are there any bad sectors shown if using the trial of a program such as HD Sentinel? I just checked on my PC and my storage drive doesn't have the difference, they both show the same.

Yes, it is a new drive and I do have other drives which show the numbers as the same. Its a gold WD drive 6TB. 

I cannot use trial software, its a work based PC. 

2 minutes ago, Zlain said:

I cannot use trial software, its a work based PC. 

CrystalDiskInfo is free, try that.

My guess is its a rounding error in the code that creates the different screen labels. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zag L. said:

My guess is its a rounding error in the code that creates the different screen labels. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Off topic but I saw your sig, the free ebook looks cool, cheers :)

2 hours ago, Zag L. said:

Thanks. 

Thank you also @Tidosho.

I had brought 2x 6TB drives, the other is a regular blue drive which is purely meant to be a backup, so should anything go wrong, I should be okay. 

There is nothing abnormal going on with your drive. When Windows formats a disk, it leaves at least 1MiB free at the end (sometimes more). For a basic MBR disk, for example, this allows it to be converted to a dynamic disk later on. There can also be alignment considerations that affect where partitions start and end. You're just seeing normal rounding of 2 slightly different numbers.

Disk Management does not show certain types of partitions and certain unpartitioned spaces, which is why you only see the one partition. Diskpart shows all partition types, but still won't show all the unallocated spaces in the partition list. However you may notice the disk is listed as having free space by using the "list disk" command. The output has a free space column, and unallocated space at the end of the drive should show up there.