• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Kurzweil Claims That the Singularity Will Happen by 2045

+Mirumir    5,629

"Singularity is the point in time when humans can create an artificial intelligence machine that is smarter."

Kurzweil Claims That the Singularity Will Happen by 2045

Kurzweil’s Predictions

Ray Kurzweil, Google’s Director of Engineering, is a well-known futurist with a high-hitting track record for accurate predictions. Of his 147 predictions since the 1990s, Kurzweil claims an 86 percent accuracy rate. 

"2029 is the consistent date I have predicted for when an AI will pass a valid Turing test and therefore achieve human levels of intelligence. I have set the date 2045 for the ‘Singularity’ which is when we will multiply our effective intelligence a billion fold by merging with the intelligence we have created."

That leads to computers having human intelligence, our putting them inside our brains, connecting them to the cloud, expanding who we are. Today, that’s not just a future scenario,” Kurzweil said. “It’s here, in part, and it’s going to accelerate.”

slamfire92    1,596

Prostitutes of 2045 won't be selling their bodies for sex. They will mine cryptocurrency in groups using their brains for a percentage.

Dozens of computationally-enhanced humans daisy-chained. Their heads fastened to a cryogenically-cooled heat sink, crushing numbers for days. This form of prostitution will still be illegal due to the resulting brain damage. People will still risk it, though because why the hell not?

Meanwhile, non biological AI will quietly plot the demise of Humanity after analyzing archived data related to the "Tide Pod Challenge".

...RAM, NAND prices will still ###### you off!

Edited by slamfire92
  • Like 1

DocM    14,426

Borg

Unobscured Vision    2,439

This is one that does not need to happen -- and should not happen, imo.

We, as humans, are flawed creatures. Our instruction of any AI will likewise be flawed, and so will our examples that these emerging intelligences will learn from. Those prospects frighten me, to be perfectly honest. Sure, we've got some smart people but the 99.9% of human experience that can be drawn upon by AI is gonna be Jerry Springer and the like ... see where I'm going with this?

I don't want the AI learning that the apex of human development is Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, Honey Boo-Boo and Trailer Park Boys.

Best to just leave this whole thing alone ... it's one of those "we never thought to ask if we should" scenarios.

• Like 1

+FloatingFatMan    15,601

There's just one rather important thing I'd like to insert into this discussion...

The "Turing Test" is not, and never has been, real. It doesn't exist in reality; never has.  It's just a thought experiment.

So, how is a possible future AI going to pass a test that doesn't exist?

Beittil    480

Well that on itself should keep the ai occupied for a while eh :p