• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Finding my next phone

Tuskd    1,976

I am in the market for a new phone. These is my expectation:

Camera, Durability, Longevity, Price.

Camera: should be excellent in day and night. Both photo and video. I had a dedicated Sony HX50 and its zoom capabilities were nice. It served me very well. I want my phone to replace, or if possible exceed this camera, especially at night for both Manual and Auto modes. OIS is highly desirable, but phones with good EIS are okay too.

Durability: I have dropped my phones from desk height on several occasions, but never cracked any screen. However with glass back phones, I am afraid. IP certificate is highly favorable. At least it should survive drops in a toilet bowl. :p On the software front, there should be no lags and heating. I don't game.

Longevity: It should last 5 years with good modding community support.

Price: I don't want to spend for flagships. But if that is what is possible, then I might look at it.

OnePlus 5T is great for what it offers, but I will wipe it with a custom ROM as soon as I open the box. I don't trust the software. So, I fear that the camera quality will suffer. Plus, they are putting out phones every 6 months, so the next phone may be up in May.

Anything cheaper than the Oneplus 5T is great. I don't want top of the range specs/features, just great camera and sturdy hardware & software.

Here's my mental makeup:

Samsung: Great phones but will surely lag after a few years. Great phones are costly too.
LG: Nice phones, but not reliable.
Apple: Nice phones and reliable, but way too overpriced
Sony,HTC: Questionable support
Nokia: Great hardware, but mediocre camera
Oppo/Vivo/Huawei/Lenovo: Use and throw phones
Motorola: Once great, now slowly turning to use and throw, camera not great
OnePlus: Great on all fronts, great community support, no thanks for spying
Xiaomi: Overall good, but night mode camera is pathetic

Google: Excellent camera, but costly and has hardware issues

Anything you would recommend?

+Zag L.    482

As for the 5T, the camera hardware is very good but the OnePlus software stinks. I'd say if you can find a decent ROM for the 5T (which I don't think yet exists), you could also expect a BETTER camera experience.  Root it and drop MAGISK on it and I think the camera opportunities open up. 

• Like 1

tsupersonic    1,530

IMO, the Pixel 1st gen. or the 2nd gen. are the best in the camera department. They will have great community support, and will last the longest in terms of updates (especially Pixel 2, since it's newer). Everything else on the Android front is far behind in the camera department and will lag behind in Android updates (whether it's security, or major updates). I'd remove OnePlus from your list - it's got good community support, but nothing else stands out about the device. To me, it's just a use/throw brand as you describe.

iPhone is also good if you are invested in the Apple ecosystem. Otherwise, I'd skip it due to price.

Draconian Guppy    13,035
29 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

Samsung: Great phones but will surely lag after a few years. Great phones are costly too.
LG: Nice phones, but not reliable.
Apple: Nice phones and reliable, but way too overpriced
Sony,HTC: Questionable support
Nokia: Great hardware, but mediocre camera
Oppo/Vivo/Huawei/Lenovo: Use and throw phones
Motorola: Once great, now slowly turning to use and throw, camera not great
OnePlus: Great on all fronts, great community support, no thanks for spying
Xiaomi: Overall good, but night mode camera is pathetic

Google: Excellent camera, but costly and has hardware issues

Anything you would recommend?

For durability, well anything goes, for camera, look at the dxo mobile mark if that's any help

personally I do like the chinese phones Oppo/Vivo/Huawei/Lenovo, it wasn't until I used the latest vivo and ZTE axxon, that they do scream quality, if you can find one with custom rom support you're good to go, but it's a gamble

Sony, I hate that bezel, same goes with htc.   Nokia so far as software support hasn't kept their word in some regions.

My basic use nowadays is music, so that limits me, from your list, to the samsung s8 exynos international version, lg g6+ (quad dac) (currently own), also LG is offering a complimentary two year warranty for the g6 or v30, so thats goes a long way http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g6/warranty   

• Like 1

Tuskd    1,976
1 hour ago, tsupersonic said:

IMO, the Pixel 1st gen. or the 2nd gen. are the best in the camera department. They will have great community support, and will last the longest in terms of updates (especially Pixel 2, since it's newer). Everything else on the Android front is far behind in the camera department and will lag behind in Android updates (whether it's security, or major updates). I'd remove OnePlus from your list - it's got good community support, but nothing else stands out about the device. To me, it's just a use/throw brand as you describe.

iPhone is also good if you are invested in the Apple ecosystem. Otherwise, I'd skip it due to price.

Pixel is very good, but I can buy 2 Oneplus 5Ts for the price its selling here in India. I would love to buy the pixel, but cost is an issue.

+warwagon    11,501

If you plan on getting 5 years out of a phone it might also be worth also looking for a phone which is an "Easy phone to take apart to replace the battery".  I remember watching a Pixel video and I wasn't impressed. 

• Like 1

Tuskd    1,976
1 hour ago, Draconian Guppy said:

For durability, well anything goes, for camera, look at the dxo mobile mark if that's any help

personally I do like the chinese phones Oppo/Vivo/Huawei/Lenovo, it wasn't until I used the latest vivo and ZTE axxon, that they do scream quality, if you can find one with custom rom support you're good to go, but it's a gamble

Sony, I hate that bezel, same goes with htc.   Nokia so far as software support hasn't kept their word in some regions.

My basic use nowadays is music, so that limits me, from your list, to the samsung s8 exynos international version, lg g6+ (quad dac) (currently own), also LG is offering a complimentary two year warranty for the g6 or v30, so thats goes a long way http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g6/warranty   

Chinese phones are very attractive, sometimes too attractive to make me doubt whether they have some sketchy plan behind. Need to research on them. 

I dont want to go to the flagships, but thats what companies are making me do. I would love to have the V30, but waiting for a price drop. Also, I heard LG's software is not good. The S8 is still selling around the original price it launched here.

+goretsky    884

Hello,

Have you looked into RED's Hydrogen phone?  They start at $1,200 and go from there, but for a phone with an excellent camera that will last five years, that may be worth the investment.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Brandon H    1,947

Huawei's sub brand Honor is becoming quite popular. I used to go Sony phones but my latest phone is the Honor 6X and it's a great device for a reasonable price.

https://www.hihonor.com

I'm not certain where you're located but if you're in the US they released the 7X to our marked a few months back

https://www.amazon.com/Honor-7X-full-view-Dual-lens-Smartphone/dp/B078NCL7GK/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1519171875&sr=1-3&keywords=honor+7x

• Like 1

Copernic    428

I'm stuck with a Mi Max 2 for now but if I have to change my phone i would choose the budget Nubia M2 or the dual screen, out of this world Meizu Pro 7 Plus. Both are very hard to find, at least here in Europe.

M0eRmXe.jpg

Draconian Guppy    13,035
20 hours ago, Tuskd said:

Chinese phones are very attractive, sometimes too attractive to make me doubt whether they have some sketchy plan behind. Need to research on them. 

I dont want to go to the flagships, but thats what companies are making me do. I would love to have the V30, but waiting for a price drop. Also, I heard LG's software is not good. The S8 is still selling around the original price it launched here.

not good in what sense?

13 hours ago, Copernic said:

I'm stuck with a Mi Max 2 for now but if I have to change my phone i would choose the budget Nubia M2 or the dual screen, out of this world Meizu Pro 7 Plus. Both are very hard to find, at least here in Europe.

Reminds me of that movie short circuit.

Love me some Meizu, they were pioneers in the Hi-Fi world of smartphones, but have since trickled down a bit.

Tuskd    1,976

So, i have come to a conclusion. The finale was between the Samsung Galaxy S9 and the Pixel 2. Although superfast updates, front facing speakers and a very slightly better camera were some of the advantages of the Pixel, the lack of a headphone jack is a big no to me. On the other side, Samsung's camera is also in the same league (looks like the variable aperture is more of a gimmick). Google camera apk can be used on it so thats great. Software was a big concern for the prolonged use of the device, but the ease with which xda brought AOSP to it thanks to Project Treble, I am convinced that this will get good community support for its later life. Headphone jack is nice to be there too. However I was still on the fence but when my carrier Airtel announced a 2 year contract for the phone (which is new for us Indians, we have mostly bought phones outright). I am going to look into that and see if it works. S9 will most probably be my next phone. I just need to get used to the curved screen and learn to not drop my phone. I will update once I get my hands on it.

Tuskd    1,976

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. I am getting an iPhone 7 128GB from the UK. Someone I know found an unlocked brand new one for £400 on gumtree. Took it. Wont get my hands on it till end of April, will update once I get it.

• Like 1