• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Oreo as Daily Driver: What Do You Think?

PGHammer    571

A growing number of Neowinians are apparently running Android Oreo in some form as a daily-driver - at least enough to have opinions.  I'll be posting mine to lick off the thread, but why should I alone let my opinion out?

Android Version: 8.0.0 (beta)

AOSP: No

If non-AOSP, what overlay is used: Samsung Experience (9.0 beta)(AT&T Mobility-branded)

Device: Samsung S7 (Snapdragon)(Verizon Wireless-branded)

Carrier: Tracfone/T-Mobile

As you can see from above, I'm a rather odd quacker - phone is from one carrier, firmware is from another, yet the phone itself is on carrier's three (Tracfone, the largest MVNO in the US) and four (Tracfone uses both the Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile wireless networks; Tracfone also operates the Universal Lifeline Safelink Wireless brand, which uses mostly T-Mobile's network).  Still, this rather odd combo works, and works rather well - so much for purity.  I'm actually into my secoind week, and I'm not looking to leave it, and have no plans to until T-Mobile forces the issue by rolling out a non-beta version of this firmware itself.

In other words, it's a darn solid daily driver (in fact, the most solid daily-driver I've had on this phone); which says a lot that isn't exactly good about TouchWiz 7 + Nougat (the default for both phone and carrier).

techbeck    6,245

Been using Oreo for months now.  No issues to report.  Works great.

PGHammer    571

I have actually expected that, techbeck - remember, the AOSP crowd have had Oreo the longest - and especially compared to those of us running Samsung hardware on US-based carriers; what has surprised me is that nobnody other than you in the AOSP group has picked up the mic and reported in.

PGHammer    571

Follow up: I have replaced the beta with the released version of Darth Cookie (AT&T Oreo firmware).  Still on the T-Mobile/Tracfone mambo combo (so no change in carrier), yet it STILL works without issues.  It uses marginally more juice than N, but is also more stable than N, so the tradeoff is worth it.  (Even better, not a single app broke due to compatibility issues; however, quite a few apps got upgrades to take proper advantage of Oreo features (and not just from Google).