• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Salvagable or Trash?

Mindovermaster    1,434

I have an old Intel NUC DC3217IYR, must have bought it 3 or 4 years ago. Sat on the shelf for so long, because it broke long ago, and I never really got down to the issue.

I think something blew on it. Because I remember I could smell smoke from it. But as to exactly what, no idea.

I took the thing apart, down to bare motherboard. Nothing looked like a burn in its casing.

Top:

nHwDjKD.jpg

Bottom:

4lrCzAv.jpg

I can't find anything wrong, you? I don't want to put any money into this. I just want to know, is there anything to fix it, or should I just recycle it? (local store by me recycles them for a small fee)

Edit: @warwagon

farmeunit    592

You can buy a new AMD APU with motherboard for $99, so I probably won't put much time into it.  Just put on Craigslist or give to someone to play with.

+warwagon    11,527
2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have an old Intel NUC DC3217IYR, must have bought it 3 or 4 years ago. Sat on the shelf for so long, because it broke long ago, and I never really got down to the issue.

I think something blew on it. Because I remember I could smell smoke from it. But as to exactly what, no idea.

I took the thing apart, down to bare motherboard. Nothing looked like a burn in its casing.

Top:

nHwDjKD.jpg

Bottom:

4lrCzAv.jpg

I can't find anything wrong, you? I don't want to put any money into this. I just want to know, is there anything to fix it, or should I just recycle it? (local store by me recycles them for a small fee)

Edit: @warwagon

One of my 2 celeron nucs recently died too. it's funny because I turned it off to put a different msata card in it and it never turned back on. I took it apart and after messing with it, it spontaneously turned on once but never again.

Mindovermaster    1,434
56 minutes ago, warwagon said:

One of my 2 celeron nucs recently died too. it's funny because I turned it off to put a different msata card in it and it never turned back on. I took it apart and after messing with it, it spontaneously turned on once but never again.

Hmm, OK. I'll just toss it then...

+goretsky    886

Hello,

Does any part of the board have a burnt odor emanating from any of the components?  If not, you might want to inspect the power supply.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Mindovermaster    1,434
10 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Does any part of the board have a burnt odor emanating from any of the components?  If not, you might want to inspect the power supply.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I don't see anything wrong with the power plug.

Tidosho    608

If you could ship it to UK at a decent price I'm sure I could get her going again....

Mindovermaster    1,434
3 hours ago, Tidosho said:

If you could ship it to UK at a decent price I'm sure I could get her going again....

Costs about $20 to send it to the UK. I know, I sent something over there before. :)

Eric    1,604

I don't see anything physically wrong with it from your pictures. As much as I hate to say it I'd say recycle it. If there are no obvious bulging caps or blown rectifiers then it's probably something internal that would take too much time and money to repair.