Weather warning: Heavy snow to hit most of UK as 'Beast from the East' arrives

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

The worst of it supposed to hit Weds and Thurs so it'll probably the rest of the year for us to recover from it. :p

I will avoid travelling to the UK indefinitely then :p 

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

My kids schools are closed.

In Yakutiya, schools stay open until the temp. drops to -45C - shocking even by Russia's standards where schools close once the temp. drops to -30 (day-care and elementary)...-35C (mid and high school).

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

^ Doing the morning school run in one of those would be... Amusing.

Anyway, this morning there's roughly an inch on the ground, maybe a little more; not enough to justify working from home today.  My kids schools are closed (which they're well pleased about), but I still have to drag my carcass to work.  Also, it's currently snowing so I have the fun of clearing snow off my car whilst it's snowing hard enough to re-cover it as fast as I can clear it...

Temp is showing -4c.  Not too bad really.

Actually, there are "schoolie" conversions of those in operation in parts of Arctic Canada - so finding similar conversions in use in - say - Siberia would be totally UNsurprising (Siberia is, after all, home to the Pole of Cold - the Northern Hemisphere's coldest measured temperatures - yes - COLDER than those of International Falls, MN).

16 hours ago, exotoxic said:

Media always like to overplay the weather.

The media overplay everything, but why wouldn't they? More clicks = more revenue

It's actually starting to settle here, thankfully I use main roads to get back so should be all good :)

Meanwhile in the Philly area they're predicting temperatures in the 40s & 50s F for the next week ... :shifty:

Of course, lately the bad weather's hit in March, so the worst may be yet to come.