• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Hit a speed bump pretty hard! Help!

KUVVAIT    1

It was pretty dark outside and I was driving about 30-35 mph. I came across a poorly marked speed table and didn’t have much time to react. The good thing is I survived, but my car made some pretty loud noises underneath. The front bumper along with the splash shields of the engine and front bumper were damaged, and there was some damage to the frame. I’m worried that something else is damaged within the car, springs, shocks, struts, etc... Would appreciate your input!

Note: The link attached is an image of the speed table that was encountered.https://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/street-design-elements/vertical-speed-control-elements/speed-table/

Jim K    10,514

Get a mechanic to look at it.

• Like 3

bmelans2    6
22 hours ago, KUVVAIT said:

It was pretty dark outside and I was driving about 30-35 mph. I came across a poorly marked speed table and didn’t have much time to react. The good thing is I survived, but my car made some pretty loud noises underneath. The front bumper along with the splash shields of the engine and front bumper were damaged, and there was some damage to the frame. I’m worried that something else is damaged within the car, springs, shocks, struts, etc... Would appreciate your input!

Note: The link attached is an image of the speed table that was encountered.https://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/street-design-elements/vertical-speed-control-elements/speed-table/

That is rough, and can definitely happen. I had a similar issue a few years ago, bent the frame and it ended up causing radiator issues. Hopefully this isn't the case for you - if you did bend the frame, and get a heavy quote on fixing it or not being able to fix it: try the older Farmers trick. 2 chains to the back of the car or front attached to a wall stable enough to handle a pull - then 2 chains from the other end to a tractor, with a slow gradual pull to straighten it out. I didn't think this would work when my backyard mechanic tried it - but everything went straight and the radiator was fine. As for struts, springs, etc... you'd hear when going over bumps if anything was affected, or you can feel around your shock and strut area for seepage (when the oil leaks out, can be caused from tough impact). 

How many KM or miles are on your vehicle? Struts and shocks need replaced periodically anyway, they could've been close to end of life and this finished them off. My 2013 Honda Civic needed new struts and shocks at 200,000KM roughly; the mechanic didn't believe me but once he pulled them off he could see that they were done and once the new ones were put on it road like a dream.

21 hours ago, Jim K said:

Get a mechanic to look at it.

Mechanic is always best option. Hopefully he doesn't get a mechanic that likes to take advantage of the unknown...

• Like 1

+Mirumir    5,629
On 2/26/2018 at 4:42 AM, KUVVAIT said:

You should have your suspension, drivetrain, and steering checked ASAP.

Also, if there's no speed-bump sign, you can sue the local municipality for the damages.

KUVVAIT    1

Thanks everyone for your input! Planning to get my car into the shop in the next week or so, and let you know what happens.

• Like 1

CrashGordon    407

When you say there is damage to the frame, that could be real bad, depending on what/how much damage.

fusi0n    1,754

hitting a speed bump at 30-35 mph shouldn't bend the frame..

Buttus    1,069
17 hours ago, Mirumir said:

You should have your suspension, drivetrain, and steering checked ASAP.

Also, if there's no speed-bump sign, you can sue the local municipality for the damages.

yea, go take some pictures, document that it's not marked correctly.

• Like 1

KUVVAIT    1
On 2/28/2018 at 6:40 AM, CrashGordon said:

When you say there is damage to the frame, that could be real bad, depending on what/how much damage.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:53 AM, fusi0n said:

hitting a speed bump at 30-35 mph shouldn't bend the frame..

If you look closely to the images attached, there is some damage to that subframe component. I’m wondering if this can also be fixed and restored to factory conditions.

https://ibb.co/m2MMxc
https://ibb.co/cHndcc
https://ibb.co/kvBFOH

On 2/28/2018 at 7:03 AM, Buttus said:

yea, go take some pictures, document that it's not marked correctly.

Already on it! Thanks!

slamfire92    1,597

I hate speed bumps. The person that came up with the idea should be used for one.

Call your insurance company, explain what happened, note that the bump wasn't highlighted very well and see what happens,

• Like 1

sc302    1,528

looks like damaged plastics to me, the frame has scratches but looks unharmed otherwise.  Nothing to be concerned with as far as rigidity goes, plastics can be replaced.

The frame, sub or other, extend the length of the entire car.  In your pictures it is the metal object that has an "X" on it going towards the back.  That is unharmed.

3 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

I hate speed bumps. The person that came up with the idea should be used for one.

How else are you going to slow people down when they refuse to slow down them selves even after tickets?

• Like 3

KUVVAIT    1
On 2/26/2018 at 5:07 PM, bmelans2 said:

That is rough, and can definitely happen. I had a similar issue a few years ago, bent the frame and it ended up causing radiator issues. Hopefully this isn't the case for you - if you did bend the frame, and get a heavy quote on fixing it or not being able to fix it: try the older Farmers trick. 2 chains to the back of the car or front attached to a wall stable enough to handle a pull - then 2 chains from the other end to a tractor, with a slow gradual pull to straighten it out. I didn't think this would work when my backyard mechanic tried it - but everything went straight and the radiator was fine. As for struts, springs, etc... you'd hear when going over bumps if anything was affected, or you can feel around your shock and strut area for seepage (when the oil leaks out, can be caused from tough impact). 

How many KM or miles are on your vehicle? Struts and shocks need replaced periodically anyway, they could've been close to end of life and this finished them off. My 2013 Honda Civic needed new struts and shocks at 200,000KM roughly; the mechanic didn't believe me but once he pulled them off he could see that they were done and once the new ones were put on it road like a dream.

Mechanic is always best option. Hopefully he doesn't get a mechanic that likes to take advantage of the unknown...

The car is about at 50,000 KM.

firey    3,812
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, sc302 said:

looks like damaged plastics to me, the frame has scratches but looks unharmed otherwise.  Nothing to be concerned with as far as rigidity goes, plastics can be replaced.

The frame, sub or other, extend the length of the entire car.  In your pictures it is the metal object that has an "X" on it going towards the back.  That is unharmed.

How else are you going to slow people down when they refuse to slow down them selves even after tickets?

Add curves to roads instead of having straight-aways. Have more yield/stop signs. 

slamfire92    1,597
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, sc302 said:

My my biggest problem with speed bumps is their size appears to be unregulated. You have some nicely done, soft gradual and some are like big rectanglular blocks sitting in front of you. Those are rough on your car’s suspension no matter how slow you’re going. Couple that with cars that sit low and it’s just damage waiting to happen. 

sc302    1,528

The speed issue bothers the people who put them in place, your feelings are irrelevant to the installation of devices. There is a recommended speed based on the size of the bump. Not obeying that speed can and will cause damage. 

As as far as lowered cars go, you have a point but it is the drivers decision to proceed being that there is a warning posted. You have a few choices to make there, park further to avoid the bumps, don’t take that route to avoid bumps, complain to management/state/road department that the bumps do not conform to your vehicle, or simply don’t go there. The choice is ultimately the drivers as to proceed or not, the driver being late or not making it is on the driver or the person who scheduled the appt, I am sure you have heard that you should give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination due to unforeseen circumstances, speed bumps can be considered unforeseen. 

Fwiw, I too had a lowered car which scraped but I bring my every day car (daily driver) for normal duties. 

sc302    1,528
2 hours ago, firey said:

Add curves to roads instead of having straight-aways. Have more yield/stop signs. 

Not always possible esp on private property....there may not be enough land.

Terry504    18

sounded fun..cept for the damage of coarse :woot: 

bmelans2    6
On 2018-03-01 at 12:21 PM, KUVVAIT said:

The car is about at 50,000 KM.

At 50,000KM your car should've been able to handle it. I wouldn't worry too much about the shocks or struts and other suspension parts. If the undercarriage touched or rubbed the ground rough, I'd be more concerned about getting your oil pan inspected, undercarriage, alignment of your wheels and alignment of frame (to see if frame is bent). Worst case scenario that I would expect is an alignment issue and if that's the case a 4 wheel alignment shouldn't be more than $100, depending on your area and the shop you go to. With that said, you might be due for an alignment before this incident and not even know it...

21 hours ago, Terry504 said:

sounded fun..cept for the damage of coarse :woot: 

Everything is fun in a vehicle until the damage is noted LOL

Tidosho    608
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, sc302 said:

Not always possible esp on private property....there may not be enough land.

And the not so small issue of it costs so much more to reshape the land than put in speed humps, or sleeping policemen as we call them in the UK :)

KUVVAIT    1
On 3/2/2018 at 9:58 AM, bmelans2 said:

At 50,000KM your car should've been able to handle it. I wouldn't worry too much about the shocks or struts and other suspension parts. If the undercarriage touched or rubbed the ground rough, I'd be more concerned about getting your oil pan inspected, undercarriage, alignment of your wheels and alignment of frame (to see if frame is bent). Worst case scenario that I would expect is an alignment issue and if that's the case a 4 wheel alignment shouldn't be more than $100, depending on your area and the shop you go to. With that said, you might be due for an alignment before this incident and not even know it...

Everything is fun in a vehicle until the damage is noted LOL

Thanks for your input!