Desktop is TOO slow

19 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Unless the hard disk is faulty then it's not going to be your hard disk that is at fault. Even a IBM XT from the 80's would not take 15 minutes to boot.

If you can be a little more specific as to where the delay is happening, it will be easier to help. Is it slow before or after you see the windows logo ?

Have you seen an IBM XT from the 80's boot Windows 10? Even if it could, I doubt it would do it in less than 15 mins.

I can remember when I worked for GE in the early 90's, we had a large Unix machine which would take over an hour to boot up.

Sorry guys for the late reply, I got sick (winter vomiting disease/calicivirus, don't really know what it's called in English :D) the very same day I posted here and yesterday I was in the bed pretty much the entire day.

Back to the topic: first of all, thank you very much for all the inputs and suggestions and special thanks to @DevTech and @warwagon.

To be honest, I was too tired to troubleshoot and go through with it, so I cloned the disc and just swapped it with an SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (this is my laptop's disk so I'll have to buy another one for it). It's WAY faster than the old dick and everything starts as soon as I click it though some application and FF takes 1/2 sec before it starts compared to my laptops. I will do a fresh install but first I wanted to make sure it's the disk that caused this and now that I am sure I'll back up my files and do a fresh install.

Someone asked what my CPU cooling is, it's Cooler Master V8 and unfortunately, I forgot to mention that the fan has been dead for some time now. Can I change only the fan? If yes, are there any good and quiet fans that I can purchase?

@xendrome, yes, that might be another problem, but the disk was definitely one.

Yes, it feels good and as I mentioned it still take some time to start, it took 45 sec to the login page.

I would think.  Watch videos on replacing that fan in the cooler.  It seems a little involved, shouldn’t be too bad.  Better to know what you are getting into prior to performing the job. 

Almost sounds like Sophos is locked on files at startup try disabling it once and rebooting. (had a similar issue  on a few systems)

1 hour ago, nabz0r said:

Is this be quiet! SilentWings 3 120mm PWM HighSpeed good replacement for my Cooler Master V8? I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 and want to change the 120 fan in my case too.

Honestly it would probably be less trouble to replace the whole cooler. Artic Cooling makes a good tool less cooler with pre-applied thermal paste. Dunno which i7 you have so don't know if your socket is supported by it. It's not the best cooler around but it's better than the stock one so if you're not overclocking it will do the job. It's easy to just remove the old cooler, clean the cpu and the Freezer 13 is very easy to install can be done in 15 minutes no trouble.

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-13.html

Never replaced just a fan personably so i would do some research before buying anything if i were you. Fans are often not screwed on the cooler but installed using some sort of clips and a standard fan made by another company might not work.

Maybe the cpu cooler is not helping but it's surely not the only problem since you have an i7. I just locked the multiplier of my cpu to the lower possible value and my pc boot just fine.

Edited by LaP

3 hours ago, nabz0r said:

@xendrome, yes, that might be another problem, but the disk was definitely one.

Yes, it feels good and as I mentioned it still take some time to start, it took 45 sec to the login page.

Seems like a lot for a SSD should probably be 10 sec faster than that. I'll check how much time my own computer takes to boot on my ssd tonight. I would re-install windows if you have the time. It's Neowin so people here will tell you windows is the best thing since slice bread but the reality is most of the time troubleshooting windows is as painful as troubleshooting linux. Personally i keep an image of a fresh install around with all my apps and drivers properly configured. So in case of a problem with my current system and image I can always restore this image and just update the drivers and apps to the latest version and import my projects from git and my files from onedrive/backup.

Personally i don't troubleshoot my windows installation anymore. It takes less time to simply restore an image. Takes around 15 minutes to restore a backup on a SSD. From my own experience half the time with windows the final answer is re-install anyway XD

If you have an external HDD i would make a backup image of the current installations (laptop and computer) and do a clean install on your laptop SSD and see how it goes. If things work normally then it was either the HDD or your windows installation. In either case imo it's not worth the time troubleshooting if you have spare money to buy a 2nd SSD and enough time to do a clean install.

Edited by LaP

20 minutes ago, LaP said:

It's Neowin so people here will tell you windows is the best thing since slice bread but the reality is most of the time troubleshooting windows is as painful as troubleshooting linux. Personally i keep an image of a fresh install around with all my apps and drivers properly configured. So in case of a problem with my current system and image I can always restore this image and just update the drivers and apps to the latest version and import my projects from git and my files from onedrive/backup.

:yes: Google is your best friend for Windows as well as Linux issues.

When ever in doubt, reinstall..

This is one of those things where a clean install on an SSD would likely change your life.  It should boot in 10 seconds with your hardware.  Everything should be responsive and almost instant.  If it's not, there's either a hardware failure or some software/settings issues going on.  

Cloned HDD to SSD might be good for testing that your hardware is working correctly, but it's not quite as efficient as a clean install.  Windows 10 is pretty fast to set up, and USB's are so cheap that it's generally pretty easy to move your data.  If you can do a clean install and still have your other software, you should be much better off that way.  Just keep the old hard drive on a shelf case you ever need to find something that didn't transfer over.

I've seen a lot of security software hijack systems and kill performance, but I'll let other more knowledgeable people comment on your specific antivirus software and what effect that could have on your system. 

@LaP, I actually already ordered two of those fans, so I will give that. I watched a video on YouTube and it doesn't seem to be that difficult. I too think there is another problem since it still takes less than a minute to start so hopefully after the replacement of the fan and fresh install the problem will disappear.

How do you take a backup of all your apps from a fresh install?

Well, nowadays I can't be bothered to troubleshoot anything (I do enough at work), as you said it's much faster to do a fresh install. I am going to buy another SSD as this SSD I have on my desktop is taken from the laptop.

@Gnome, what about my antivirus? :)

I didn't read whole thread, but it shouldn't take 45 seconds to boot, either.  

I noticed your disk usage went to 100%.  I how a machine that I stored a lot of large files on.  Windows Defender would max out the hard drive for hours on end.  Made it terribly slow.  It should fluctuate a little on usage on boot, then drop off.  Not stay at 100% for any length of time.

You can dig a little by opening Task Manager->Performance->Resource Monitor and click the disk section.  Sort by Total column and see which programs have highest usage.  There are other ways to dig into it, but that's easy.

4 minutes ago, nabz0r said:

@LaP,

How do you take a backup of all your apps from a fresh install?

@Gnome

Well you have to do that before windows might be potentially broken ;) If you don't have a working system image then you have to re-install everything and then restore your data from the HDD.

I take a full system image once a week and a keep a clean image i took just after re-installing windows and the apps/drivers. So if i have any problem with my installation i can restore my PC to what it was the last sunday (or the previous ones) or what it was right after i did my last clean install. I personally use AOMEI Backupper Standard but there's other options out there.

For example right now i have a Windows 10 image of a clean freshly installed windows 10 with the drivers installed and all my common apps installed/configured and i have a couple of sunday images (i usually keep 3 or 4). I'll do the same with the next windows. Will do a fresh install and take an image right after.

Me too i'm done with troubleshooting at home. There's no point to it when taking and restoring an image can be done with free softwares and take around 15-20 minutes ;) I troubleshooting  hardware only when i'm sure it's not a windows problem XD

3 minutes ago, LaP said:

Well you have to do that before windows might be potentially broken ;) If you don't have a working system image then you have to re-install everything and then restore your data from the HDD.

Hehe, I meant after a fresh install. I will do a fresh install and install all my programs and drivers then take a full backup once. is this AOMEI Backupper Standard easy and free to use?

27 minutes ago, nabz0r said:

Hehe, I meant after a fresh install. I will do a fresh install and install all my programs and drivers then take a full backup once. is this AOMEI Backupper Standard easy and free to use?

Yes it's free and very easy to use. You install it then you chose the option system image and select the ssd where windows is installed. Of course it's better to store the image on an external disk so if something bad happens to the computer the image will be intact. Always better to keep at least two images in case one gets corrupted. It's rare but it can happen. To restore the image you do a boot cd using AOMEI and then you boot from this cd and chose restore and select the image and the drive you want to restore the image to. I've been using this software for a couple of years now and it never failed me.

46 minutes ago, LaP said:

Yes it's free and very easy to use. You install it then you chose the option system image and select the ssd where windows is installed. Of course it's better to store the image on an external disk so if something bad happens to the computer the image will be intact. Always better to keep at least two images in case one gets corrupted. It's rare but it can happen. To restore the image you do a boot cd using AOMEI and then you boot from this cd and chose restore and select the image and the drive you want to restore the image to. I've been using this software for a couple of years now and it never failed me.

Thanks, buddy. I will give it a try as soon as I get some time to work on it and do a test as well. :)

Holy Throttle Batman!

What is with this fetish over SSD as VooDoo magic for everything?

I totally recommend a Samsung 960 Pro or Evo for everything, but sure as heck don't think it is a universal snake oil to fix all PC problems...

He has a first gen i7 with a cooler that has NO FAN!

NO FAN on i7 everyone!

NO FAN on i7. Can we stop the SSD rubbish until his CPU THROTTLE MELTDOWN issue is fixed?

CPU Abuse!

1st generation i7, melting on a PCB, running slow, slower, slower, throttle, throttle, heat, heat, only Intel's genius prevents puddle of silicon on the PCB, heat, heat, glitch, slow, whoa but let's talk more about a SSD...

10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Holy Throttle Batman!

What is with this fetish over SSD as VooDoo magic for everything?

I totally recommend a Samsung 960 Pro or Evo for everything, but sure as heck don't think it is a universal snake oil to fix all PC problems...

He has a first gen i7 with a cooler that has NO FAN!

NO FAN on i7 everyone!

NO FAN on i7. Can we stop the SSD rubbish until his CPU THROTTLE MELTDOWN issue is fixed?

While I wholeheartedly agree with you. He installed an ssd and boot sped up to a minute or so. I am all for let’s actually diagnose something prior to throwing parts or money at something in hopes it fixes the issue. 5+ minutes isn’t normal and can point to a few different issues. 

Fwiw a processor would have gone to its thermal limit prior to full boot if it were a fan issue.  That heat sink must be working very well and of good design to keep the computer from going into thermal shutdown without a working fan. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Uhh, @DevTech, it was the GPU that was the issue, not his CPU.

"Someone asked what my CPU cooling is, it's Cooler Master V8 and unfortunately, I forgot to mention that the fan has been dead for some time now. Can I change only the fan? If yes, are there any good and quiet fans that I can purchase?"

This has by far been one of the most absurd hardware threads lately.

While his CPU has been melting down and throttling like crazy while miraculously not going into TOTAL THERMAL SHUTDOWN for an extended period of time now, we have all been playing the violins on the Titanic and talking about hard drives, SSD, (and of course the obligatory reference to anti-virus software and/or an actual virus) and now the GPU...

Maybe we can look at his RAM timings next and then his PSU? (while his CPU slowly weeps...)

If it was my computer, and I had a limited budget, I would keep the hard drive, get a simple integrated water cooler and overclock the crap out of that CPU!

He has a freakin amazing Rampage overclocking motherboard!!!

30 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I think you are thinking about the gpu thread. 

*hits head repeatably on desk* Sry...

• Like 2