Desktop is TOO slow

47 minutes ago, sc302 said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with you. He installed an ssd and boot sped up to a minute or so. I am all for let’s actually diagnose something prior to throwing parts or money at something in hopes it fixes the issue. 5+ minutes isn’t normal and can point to a few different issues. 

Fwiw a processor would have gone to its thermal limit prior to full boot if it were a fan issue.  That heat sink must be working very well and of good design to keep the computer from going into thermal shutdown without a working fan. 

There is indeed a mystery here.

A Cooler Master V8 with a dead fan should still be ending up in Thermal Shutdown.

The OP says the fan has been dead for a long time, so one possibility is that he tweaked his motherboard BIOS settings. That is a full fledged overclocking motherboard that would have a ton of settings including under-volting and under-clocking the CPU so it could just get by with only the metal of the heastsink. And then he forgot doing that?

Or Windows 10 now has some very very clever power management code?  (but clever in a geek introspective manner - we just kept your CPU from melting to slag so you can enjoy the wonder of a 15 minute boot time!)

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

*hits head repeatably on desk* Sry...

Please keep going for a while... :)

But we can all amuse ourselves setting a countdown timer for the next poster who doesn't actually skim the thread before posting about a SSD...

Hello,

Unless you've made major changes to its settings there should be no noticeable performance impact from the anti-malware software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13 hours ago, nabz0r said:

[...snip...]

@Gnome, what about my antivirus? :)

Late night posting doesn't do me any favors.  Sometimes I miss the obvious issues.

If your processor cooling is busted, you definitely want to get that fixed.  I had a busted fan with dust bunnies on an AMD processor a long time ago.  Instead of cooling, it was more like insulation.  Yay!  It took a while before I opened up the case and figured out why my computer ran like crap and was randomly shutting off.

Anyone wanna suggest a program he can run to check the processor/motherboard temperatures and determine whether or not his computer is going to turn to molten hot magma?  

If the cooling isn't working, fix it.  Then do a clean install on your spare SSD to see if the system works/installs properly.  Once you know that all the hardware is working normally, you can get your replacement SSD and go to town.

43 minutes ago, Gnome said:

Late night posting doesn't do me any favors.  Sometimes I miss the obvious issues.

If your processor cooling is busted, you definitely want to get that fixed.  I had a busted fan with dust bunnies on an AMD processor a long time ago.  Instead of cooling, it was more like insulation.  Yay!  It took a while before I opened up the case and figured out why my computer ran like crap and was randomly shutting off.

Anyone wanna suggest a program he can run to check the processor/motherboard temperatures and determine whether or not his computer is going to turn to molten hot magma?  

If the cooling isn't working, fix it.  Then do a clean install on your spare SSD to see if the system works/installs properly.  Once you know that all the hardware is working normally, you can get your replacement SSD and go to town.

36 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ is one tool

Some will show temperature in BIOSUEFI, as well, so no software needed.

1. First generation i7 - so not low power

2. Normal cooler - FAN NOT WORKING

CONCLUSION:

1. Don't need to monitor temps, that is plain silly given the facts.

2. Need to FIX COOLER

3. Explains all problems mentioned in thread.

BONUS:

1. Super fast CPU better than a SSD any day of the week. (but nice to have both...)

2. He should buy a simple integrated water cooler instead of a SSD, take advantage of his ASUS Rampage III motherboard and overclock his CPU to the max which has ALREADY PROVEN its ability to withstand TOTAL ABUSE!

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

CONCLUSION:

1. Don't need to monitor temps, that is plain silly given the facts.

2. Need to FIX COOLER

3. Explains all problems mentioned in thread.

fyi

The good part:

I will do a fresh install but first I wanted to make sure it's the disk that caused this and now that I am sure I'll back up my files and do a fresh install.

7 hours ago, sc302 said:

fyi

The good part:

Ouch! Perhaps we all share responsibility for this Disaster of Diagnosis and well, although it is a kind of humor, the mis-diagnosis was of legendary monster proportions.

It is also a good example of "Observer BIAS" taken to extreme as the OP succumbed to peer pressure in this thread to come to the wrong conclusion.

I suppose there must be a standard disclaimer somewhere in the Neowin Forums fine print that absolves everyone of any responsibility, but we did not work together here to do a good job this time...

The symptoms indicating it was just about impossible for the drive to be at fault were right there at the start... sigh...

To anyone actually reading this, a flock of SeaGulls descended on this thread and spammed it with SSD-phillia and it wouldn't hurt to be more mindful in the future.

In hindsight, I could have been a bit more emphatic in my cautionary posts...

@DevTech wasn’t really meant to be an ouch, more pointing out an overlooked statement/post. I generally have to do this at work due to techs overlooking things. I could have been a little less bold and caps about it but didn’t know what level it was over looked and if it would be overlooked again.  I have also gotten the response that they didn’t see the bold statement area so I have to accentuate further by making the text larger. 

TLDR: sorry didn’t mean for an ouch or burn statement. 

29 minutes ago, sc302 said:

@DevTech wasn’t really meant to be an ouch, more pointing out an overlooked statement/post. I generally have to do this at work due to techs overlooking things. I could have been a little less bold and caps about it but didn’t know what level it was over looked and if it would be overlooked again.  I have also gotten the response that they didn’t see the bold statement area so I have to accentuate further by making the text larger. 

TLDR: sorry didn’t mean for an ouch or burn statement. 

Well, perhaps my post-mortem thoughts were a bit morose.

On a positive note, the problem was identified and is super easy to fix.

The OP ended up with a sideways opportunity to experiment with an SSD in that system. although with an essentially non-functioning CPU, the experience would be very hard to interpret other than perhaps SSDs in addition to other advantages might also be gentler on CPU processing power?

There is still a mystery on why the i7 is not actually going into constant thermal shutdown on a regular basis i.e. every few minutes!

The existence of  1060 in his config is also anomalous since there is no possible way that computer could have done any gaming...

I would love to hear the actual story that ties all of these things together in an entertaining tale of CPU intrigue!

On 2018-03-01 at 2:18 AM, DevTech said:

There is indeed a mystery here.

A Cooler Master V8 with a dead fan should still be ending up in Thermal Shutdown.

Why? Temp with the dead fan was 41 and now with a new cooler fan and a new 140 case fan the temp is 32. I haven't played game on this setup for almost 6 years now and it was off for almost 2.5 years due to dead PSU. I forgot to check how long it takes to start now (i'll update later).

I have now two new be quiet silent wings 3 high-speed (120mm & 140mm) I didn't find any 230mm be quiet otherwise I would have ordered 3 of those for my HAF 932. The Windows is still the same can't find my Windows DVD to do a fresh install) so I'll keep the current for the time being.

Anyway, thank you all guys for helping out and for the invaluable inputs. Now save up for either two Samsung 34" curved monitor or one 49". My current 3 monitors are Dell U2311H. Any suggestions on the Samsung monitors?

Update: It took exactly 51 seconds from start to log in. One thing I forgot to ask, do I need to update my bios? I think there are 4/5 newer versions? If yes, can I directly update to the latest version or should I do it version by version?

Edited by nabz0r

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Samsung is always good. Just don't go for the cheapo ones.

These two I was talking about:

http://www.samsung.com/se/monitors/c49hg90/

http://www.samsung.com/se/monitors/c32hg70/LC32HG70QQUXEN/

2 hours ago, nabz0r said:

Why? Temp with the dead fan was 41 and now with a new cooler fan and a new 140 case fan the temp is 32. I haven't played game on this setup for almost 6 years now and it was off for almost 2.5 years due to dead PSU. I forgot to check how long it takes to start now (i'll update later).

I have now two new be quiet silent wings 3 high-speed (120mm & 140mm) I didn't find any 230mm be quiet otherwise I would have ordered 3 of those for my HAF 932. The Windows is still the same can't find my Windows DVD to do a fresh install) so I'll keep the current for the time being.

Anyway, thank you all guys for helping out and for the invaluable inputs. Now save up for either two Samsung 34" curved monitor or one 49". My current 3 monitors are Dell U2311H. Any suggestions on the Samsung monitors?

Update: It took exactly 51 seconds from start to log in. One thing I forgot to ask, do I need to update my bios? I think there are 4/5 newer versions? If yes, can I directly update to the latest version or should I do it version by version?

- Just update BIOS to latest

- what CPU exactly is it?

- try loading BIOS default settings and then choose "Performance" in your Windows power settings to see if you notice a difference. Just 41 with no fan would be huge throttle or else underclock settings in BIOS maybe. There is a mystery there if you really have a first gen i7.

- you can install HW Monitor 64 bit to get a complete listing of your hardware specs and also monitor various temps.

59 minutes ago, DevTech said:

- Just update BIOS to latest

- what CPU exactly is it?

- try loading BIOS default settings and then choose "Performance" in your Windows power settings to see if you notice a difference. Just 41 with no fan would be huge throttle or else underclock settings in BIOS maybe. There is a mystery there if you really have a first gen i7.

- you can install HW Monitor 64 bit to get a complete listing of your hardware specs and also monitor various temps.

OK, I'll try to do it now.

It's: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, 3068 Mhz

Do you want to see the results of HWMonitor temps etc?

Update: Bios is updated and now running the latest version.

Edited by nabz0r