Help with LaCie external HD

LaCie d2 USB3 4TB drive. When first connected, drive is fine. Then after a period of time (minutes to hours), folders are unable to be opened, giving the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". Unplugging power and reconnecting resolves the issue for some time. I've switched USB ports and changed the cable AND replaced the drive with the same model. Issue persists. Plugged drive into my laptop and the issue has not occurred since. Both desktop and laptop are Windows 10.

Is there a possible machine-specific cause? Firmware is up to date.

Thanks

Could be a bad controller in there which the hard drive is plugged into which is converting it to USB.

Other USB devices are working fine (thumb drives, DVD burner, etc.)  Would this be an issue with the motherboard?

1 hour ago, medium_pimpin said:

Other USB devices are working fine (thumb drives, DVD burner, etc.)  Would this be an issue with the motherboard?

Warwagon was talking about the PCB board inside the external case, that transfers SATA to USB.

The PCB board can crap out. Happened to one of my externals as well. Just one day, it started acting weird. Then, it just stopped.

Remove the drive from the enclosure, connect it to a SATA port and power connector inside your PC, run it for a while. If the problem disappears, the enclosure is at fault. It's a common failure, and happens to most brands of external HDD.

I recommend running a checkdisk scan on the drive to make sure no errors have occurred.

Here's a video of taking the drive apart:

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Tidosho said:

Remove the drive from the enclosure, connect it to a SATA port and power connector inside your PC, run it for a while. If the problem disappears, the enclosure is at fault. It's a common failure, and happens to most brands of external HDD.

Here's a video of taking the drive apart:

Good luck!

Her said he tried a different drive in the caddy and that drive into his laptop, so the drive works fine.

Thanks, but it seems like an issue specific to my desktop.  The drive works without issue when connected to my laptop.

5 minutes ago, medium_pimpin said:

Thanks, but it seems like an issue specific to my desktop.  The drive works without issue when connected to my laptop.

Do you mean connected to your laptop with usb?

In that case, there could always be power fluctuation.

But, that aside, are you 100% sure it was a USB3 port? Did you try a USB2 port? It should still work, but just won't trasnsfer as fast.

Edit: IMO, if it works fine with your laptop, I would backup the data pronto.

Yes, connecting to my laptop via USB is fine.  I had the same drive and returned it for the same issue.  Since this happened with two different drives, but does not occur when connected to my laptop, I figured it's specific to my desktop. But other USB connections are fine.

Thanks for the suggestions

I was checking my event viewer and saw this:  The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 4 (PDO name: \Device\0000025b) was retried.

Which is related to the external drive I'm having an issue with.

Hello,

LaCie is now owned by Seagate, so you might want to try Seagate's DiscWizard diagnostic software and see if it identifies any problems with the drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky