Firefox Keeps Installing Bing after Restart

Question

So I am sure there are others with this problem, but I cant seem to find anything in the searches.

With in the last few weeks, Firefox has been reverting to Bing after a restart.  After installing Firefox, as usual I remove all search engines other than Google, yet something is installing Bing again and again. 

Is this something new with Firefox, I would think not, or is there some new hijack that is installing Bing, no other problems with the system.

4 answers to this question

Try starting firefox with firefox /p

Then create a new profile and log into to that. See if it keeps happening. If it doesn't then just go back to your other profile, backup your bookmarks and import them into the new profile.

Once you are satisfied everything is there, then just rerun the firefox /p and delete the old profile.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Try starting firefox with firefox /p

Then create a new profile and log into to that. See if it keeps happening. If it doesn't then just go back to your other profile, backup your bookmarks and import them into the new profile.

if it continues to re-install on a new profile then you definitely have a virus and you should do a couple scans as @jnelsoninjax suggested

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

if it continues to re-install on a new profile then you definitely have a virus and you should do a couple scans as @jnelsoninjax suggested

FIrst I would go into Apps and features (or actually I like programs and features better) and arrange by install date and look for any crap that may have gotten installed recently.  If you don't see anything suspicious then I would recommend running adwcleaner, then Malwarebytes (even though Malwarebytes owns adwcleaner).

I prefer that you uninstall a piece of crap using their own uninstaller instead of ripping it out the system, via adwcleaner or malwarebytes.

• Like 2