Russian spy: Sergei Skripal collapsed alongside daughter

Russian spy: Sergei Skripal collapsed alongside daughter

The woman found slumped on a shopping centre bench alongside a former Russian agent convicted of spying for Britain is his daughter, it has emerged.

Yulia Skripal, in her 30s, and father Sergei, 66, are critically ill in hospital after being found unconscious in Salisbury, Wiltshire, on Sunday.

UK police are trying to find out what "unknown substance" harmed the pair.

A number of emergency services workers were assessed immediately after the incident - and one remains in hospital.

Russia insisted it had "no information" on what could have led to the incident, but said it was open to co-operate in the police investigation if requested.

Source and more

I'm surprised this hasn't already been posted here. Maybe it has and I haven't noticed it yet, but just like in 2006 this is something straight out of a Jean le Carré novel.

All the traitors and double agents will collapse one day.

It's a risk they took upon themselves when they 1) first enlisted and then 2) decided to switch sides.

The man is lucky that Russia has a moratorium on death penalty and that he had a chance to spend a portion of his retirement in England following his release from a Russian prison.

A person convicted of high treason in the U.S. would've been executed. And this guy revealed the identities of several Russian spies, putting their lives at risk.

Have no sympathy for him at all.

5 hours ago, Mirumir said:

All the traitors and double agents will collapse one day.

It's a risk they took upon themselves when they 1) first enlisted and then 2) decided to switch sides.

The man is lucky that Russia has a moratorium on death penalty and that he had a chance to spend a portion of his retirement in England following his release from a Russian prison.

A person convicted of high treason in the U.S. would've been executed. And this guy revealed the identities of several Russian spies, putting their lives at risk.

Have no sympathy for him at all.

He did his time and paid for his crime.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but I'm not sure how what you're saying makes him anywhat deserving of anyone's sympathy. That's something personal for a person to give, not an expectation.

11 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Considering he cooperated with the Russian investigation and got his time cut in half, it's likely MI6 killed him for his sharing their secrets with the Russians.

Also, there's no such thing as "a former spy."

Just now, dead.cell said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but I'm not sure how what you're saying makes him anywhat deserving of anyone's sympathy. That's something personal for a person to give, not an expectation.

More that I was pointing out Mir's clear desire to continue punishing the guy, even though he WAS punished and then released.  He should be free to continue his life in peace after that.

Just now, Mirumir said:

Considering he cooperated with the Russian investigation and got his time cut in half, it's likely MI6 killed him for sharing their secrets with the Russians.

Or perhaps he had some bad pasta at Zizzi's?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Or perhaps he had some bad pasta at Zizzi's?

The thing is, if his former Russian superiors wanted him dead, they woulda killed him in the Russian prison while he was doing the time there. This woulda been a much simpler job.

Just now, Mirumir said:

The thing is, if his former Russian superiors wanted him dead, they woulda killed him in the Russian prison while he was doing the time there. This woulda been a much simpler job.

And if MI6 wanted him dead, they wouldn't be so sloppy about it.

• Like 1

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

And if MI6 wanted him dead, they wouldn't be so sloppy about it.

BUT!

If their aim was to make it look like the Russians did it, they've succeeded.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Real life is not a trashy spy novel.

Right. It's more intense and complicated.

6 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Source and more

I'm surprised this hasn't already been posted here. Maybe it has and I haven't noticed it yet, but just like in 2006 this is something straight out of a Jean le Carré novel.

I wager thallium or pullonium, the toxins of choice for the bear. 

bet ya it turns out to be that....they have a track record ;) 

29 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Considering he cooperated with the Russian investigation and got his time cut in half, it's likely MI6 killed him for his sharing their secrets with the Russians.

Also, there's no such thing as "a former spy."

lmfao brainwashed much? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mando said:

lmfao brainwashed much? 

I could tell you a thousand things, but as an MVC, you should be a role model and refrain from making petty insults and flame bait posts.

So, "role model" means leaving conjecture and assertion out of public attention? Under some terse, quiet reminder of social ramification or consequence? My, my. True colors shown at last, Mirumir. And here I thought you were an intellectual. I didn't know you were an Operative too -- then again, your Anglensk is far too good for the average Russian.

Am I right, tovarish? Eh? Or are you simply a pretender? An American playing a Russian? Because at this point you have my undivided attention.

39 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

So, "role model" means leaving conjecture and assertion out of public attention? Under some terse, quiet reminder of social ramification or consequence? My, my. True colors shown at last, Mirumir. And here I thought you were an intellectual. I didn't know you were an Operative too -- then again, your Anglensk is far too good for the average Russian.

Am I right, tovarish? Eh? Or are you simply a pretender? An American playing a Russian? Because at this point you have my undivided attention.

Whatever reaction of mine you're trying to provoke, it isn't working.

19 hours ago, SecretAgentMan said:

Putin and his cronies are murders so it wouldn't surprise me if it is Polonium.

Could also be VX or Sarin. They're much faster than anthrax or 210Po.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

Looking like it's a "nerve agent" of some kind...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43323847

Russian spy: Nerve agent 'used to try to kill' Sergei Skripal

A nerve agent was used to try to murder a former Russian spy and his daughter, police have said.

Sergei and Yulia Skripal were found unconscious in Salisbury on Sunday afternoon and remain critically ill.

A police officer who was the first to attend the scene is now in a serious condition in hospital, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said.

Nerve agents are highly toxic chemicals that stop the nervous system working and shut down bodily functions.

They normally enter the body through the mouth or nose, but can also be absorbed through the eyes or skin.

Here's hoping the police officer is OK.

11 hours ago, Mirumir said:

I could tell you a thousand things, but as an MVC, you should be a role model and refrain from making petty insults and flame bait posts.

Come on Denis, that is the second time I’ve seen you use the the MVC cop-out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

21 people are now being treated.....

Yup, neurotoxins are nasty even in tiny doses. If it was sprayed then some may still have been airborne, on nearby surfaces waiting to be touched, on the patients & in their hair and clothes, etc.  Charlie Foxtrot.