OneDrive/Dropbox

Not trying to start any debate about which service is good and which one is bad. I am trying to make up my mind if I should move from Dropbox to OneDrive.

The reason is that Dropbox is PAINFULLY slow especially if you upload larger files and that makes me crazy and my question is here for you guys who already use OneDrive, how do you experience the upload speed? And another thing that is kind cool is MS is offering Office for 5 PC's which is another good reason (for me) to consider moving to OneDrive seriously plus it is much cheaper than Dropbox. 

I have Dropbox 1TB and it's about 10€, I'll pay the same amount of money for OneDrive 5TB.

Yeah I've been using OneDrive for a while now and found that the speeds were generally hitting what I'd expect. 

One thing I did find with OneDrive is that it would work better via the app than the browser. For me, I bought a the additional storage for OneDrive and thought of the Office 365 sub as a bonus. 

I use both Onedrive and Dropbox and not noticing too much difference between them. That said, I do use OneDrive far more as I use it for Work but Dropbox only for personal.

Make sure you do understand the limitations though, this is the main reason I see sync errors.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3125202/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-files-and-folders

What is your upload speed and what size file are you talking... I am a long time dropbox user and have never seen any sort of issue with upload..

I just dropped a 1GB tar file into drop box, few min later done - pretty much pegged my upload at 40mbps..  While I pay for 500/50 upload I normally only see in low to mid 40's which I am fine with..

dropboxupload.thumb.png.1bd7dbcd6ebbc14bf3db90060e276b0f.png

That is graph from my router showing the upload.. I should of timed it - but it really was only a couple of minutes for a 1GB file..

Do you have your dropbox set to auto limit upload, or no limit?

Sorry for the late reply guys.

Does this mean that the folder shouldn't be more than 15GB? So it shouldn't be any problem uploading two 10GB folders? What if I want to upload my pictures drive that is roughly 400GB?

5aa674c6ce0a6_Skarmavbild2018-03-12kl_13_37_27.thumb.png.e033b2b92b95db73042e20ada760d648.png

@BudMan, it's set to no limit and I have 100/100 Mbit and last time (on Friday) I tested to upload 5GB  folder it took ages to upload. And I've tested from Windows, Mac, and Linux machine and the results were the same, it takes too long to upload. I've uploaded my pictures (~400GB) couple of months ago and it took if I remember correctly 4 days before it uploaded 350GB as the rest were not uploaded due to some unknown reasons.

Yeah no problems here ever with Dropbox. Have you done any speed tests to verify your upstream is actually correct. And you can manually adjust the dropbox bandwidth in it's settings, maybe take it off auto.

Yes and it seems to be correct.

walwar@mbp:~/Desktop/scripts/python/netmiko$ speedtest-cli --bytes
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Telia Company (x.x.x.x)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by AltusHost B.V. (Stockholm) [1.14 km]: 6.507 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 9.14 Mbyte/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 12.07 Mbyte/s

Skärmavbild 2018-03-12 kl. 14.01.08.png

32 minutes ago, nabz0r said:

Sorry for the late reply guys.

Does this mean that the folder shouldn't be more than 15GB? So it shouldn't be any problem uploading two 10GB folders? What if I want to upload my pictures drive that is roughly 400GB?

5aa674c6ce0a6_Skarmavbild2018-03-12kl_13_37_27.thumb.png.e033b2b92b95db73042e20ada760d648.png

no, i believe it means each individual file, not folders as a whole.

off-topic: I wish I had your guys' internet speeds. I'm lucky to get 24/6

on-topic: I use both services, no payed upgrades but their free offerings. both are great services, DropBox upload does tend to vary I've noticed, maybe other people uploading in the area slows bandwidth on Dropbox's end or something.

going by what I know of both systems and what you've said of the 2 deals in your OP, OneDrive seems completely worth it to transition over too, especially if the payed upgrade provides office.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Well, 100/100 pretty much standard here in Sweden. Two weeks ago one ISP started to deliver 10GB for home users.

I was thinking the same about OneDrive especially with office and they offer 5TB the same price as 1TB in Dropbox, it's a great deal but I am too lazy to move my files from DP to OD.

Out of curiosity you mention folders - how many files in each folder roughly.. Are you talking thousands or 100's of files what sort of size per file?

I am just using the free version of dropbox, over the years with their specials and games you could play I have moved the free space you get to like 27GB..  last time I played with onedrive - was not impressed.. Guess I could give it a go again.

25 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Out of curiosity you mention folders - how many files in each folder roughly.. Are you talking thousands or 100's of files what sort of size per file?

There aren't more than 20 folders and almost all of them are not even 1GB, except my Camera Uploads (iPhone pictures) and 1 other folder that is ~400GB (wedding movies and pictures).

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

400GB with how many pictures.. 100, 1000, 5000?

I don't know. It could be 12000 plus.

12K  Yeah that is a lot of files ;) especially all in 1 folder?

Lots of files are going to move a lot slower than a few larger ones..  Just the indexing of all those files could take a while before any sort of upload happens, etc.

Shoot try and moving 12K files across your lan with simple smb copy and how long does it take compared to when you move larger files.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:09 AM, nabz0r said:

Not trying to start any debate about which service is good and which one is bad. I am trying to make up my mind if I should move from Dropbox to OneDrive.

The reason is that Dropbox is PAINFULLY slow especially if you upload larger files and that makes me crazy and my question is here for you guys who already use OneDrive, how do you experience the upload speed? And another thing that is kind cool is MS is offering Office for 5 PC's which is another good reason (for me) to consider moving to OneDrive seriously plus it is much cheaper than Dropbox. 

I have Dropbox 1TB and it's about 10€, I'll pay the same amount of money for OneDrive 5TB.

Why not just get Office 365, you get 1TB of OneDrive space for each person anyway.

When I last used OneDrive the upload speed seemed to be capped at around 2mbps, where as with Dropbox i've always been able to max my upload speed out at 10mbps.

However with OneDrive for Business (which is a totally different product based on SharePoint) I can max my upload speed out at 10mbps.

Your mileage will likely vary based on your ISP and location in the world. I use my free Dropbox account with around 27gb of space as I like the whole Dropbox experience a lot better than OneDrive.