• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Bay Area coffee shop won't serve police for 'safety of customers'

jnelsoninjax    10,154

A coffee shop in Oakland is refusing to serve law enforcement officers for the "physical and emotional safety of our customers and ourselves," according to the shop's social media.

Hasta Muerte Coffee, an employee-owned co-op, will not serve officers in uniform and turned away an officer a few weeks ago, as reported by NBC Bay Area.

The sergeant who was turned away from the shop a few weeks ago said he was surprised by employees refusing to serve him, but walked out without any incident or any coffee.

Coffee shop workers did not respond to requests for comment on the policy, but a post on their Instagram account showed a photo with writing in Spanish that says, "Talk to your neighbors, not the police."

The writing below the photo describes an exchange with a uniformed police officer on Feb. 16, and the post clearly states: "We have a policy of asking police to leave for the physical and emotional safety of our customers and ourselves."

The post includes another picture of Facebook posts in which people object to the shop's policy because they refused to serve a sergeant in uniform who is also the president of the Latino Police Officers Association of Alameda County. On top of the posts, the shop wrote the words, "Not my president."

Below the pictures, the post goes on to say:

"OPDs recent attempts to enlist officers of color and its short term touting of fewer officer involved shootings does not reverse or mend its history of corruption, mismanagement, and scandal, nor a legacy of blatant repression. The facts are that poc (people of color), women, and queer police are complicit in upholding the same law and order that routinely criminalizes and terrorizes black and brown and poor folks, especially youth, trans, and houseless folks. For these reasons and so many more, we need the support of the actual community to keep this place safe, not police. "

The sergeant who was turned away said he's looking forward to talking with the owners to hopefully build a better relationship with them and the rest of the community, NBC Bay Area reported.

The Oakland Police Officers Association sent the shop a letter asking to open a dialogue about its policy.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bay-Area-coffee-shop-won-t-serve-police-for-12741262.php

DocM    14,407

No service, no timely non-injury related police calls. No problem.

• Like 3

Rippleman    3,093
Posted (edited)

"You may have to lose your life protecting me, but sorry sir, I can not serve you coffee. Next please". 

Edited by Rippleman
  • Like 2

techbeck    6,239
Posted (edited)

Stupid and discriminatory.   All this does is show and tell people that police should be feared.  Already plenty of paranoia and fear out there.  Don't need to poke the fire.  And the very guys who would be there to protect the owners if there was ever an incident, this place turns away.  Idiots.  Hope they get bad press and lose business.

Edited by techbeck
  • Like 1

+FloatingFatMan    15,548
On 11/03/2018 at 9:46 AM, DocM said:

No service, no timely non-injury related police calls. No problem.

As much as I deplore this store's policy, I don't think the police are legally allowed to discriminate on how they respond to calls...

+J. X. Maxwell    2,271

Nut jobs like this is why there is movement of young persons who are embracing traditional values and wearing MAGA hats.

• Like 1

Gammaboo828    10

Seems to me if a Cake company has to make a cake for a gay couple over their own beliefs, then a coffee place should have to serve the police as well.  It'll never happen, but it sure seem that way.

• Like 4

DocM    14,407
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Nut jobs like this is why there is movement of young persons who are embracing traditional values and wearing MAGA hats.

It's a lesson the new left never learned; politics follow Newton's third law. Ex: the further left they go, the further right the backlash is.  Many of the far right people today started out as Democratic party centrists who were repelled by left wing zealotry. 

Edited by DocM

Rippleman    3,093
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DocM said:

It's a lesson the new left never learned; politics follow Newton's third law. Ex: the further left they go, the further right the backlash is.  Many of the far right people today started out as Democratic party centrists who were repelled by left wing zealotry. 

you are totally correct, as you can tell by our past disagreements from years past, i myself have even come almost to the dead center from the left. This new far left mindset is absolutely crazy to me to all the people in my social circle who talk politics who have also shifted to close center. 

• Like 1

Yogurth    1,954
1 hour ago, DocM said:

You can switch left and right placing and You'd still be right.

DocM    14,407
23 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

You can switch left and right placing and You'd still be right.

My extreme left example is correct for the current situation but yes, it cuts both ways. 

• Like 1