Windows 10 or Windows 7: today

Hi,

I have a Little computer that i use only for work/Office.

It has:

Amd 9000E CPU

4gb RAM

500 GB HD

Actually i need to buy the OS license.

I found a new license or 7 pro in a local store for 20 dollar (new, box, CoA)

My question is, today it's better install Windows 7 or 10 in this computer?

Thanks

I think the  assistive technologies loophole is still in effect, isn't it? So you could pay $20 for Windows 7 and still upgrade to Windows 10 for no additional cost.

But ignoring the possible loophole, Vince800 is right. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft unless you've paid for extended support so Windows 10 would be the option to go for. Some people complain about it, but personally I've found it to be pretty solid.

57 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I think the  assistive technologies loophole is still in effect, isn't it? So you could pay $20 for Windows 7 and still upgrade to Windows 10 for no additional cost.

But ignoring the possible loophole, Vince800 is right. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft unless you've paid for extended support so Windows 10 would be the option to go for. Some people complain about it, but personally I've found it to be pretty solid.

Yeah, W10 is solid and works well on low spec devices. The only question is do you use any software that isn't compatible with W10.

Windows 7 keys still work for Windows 10 so if you want to use that copy of 7 to install 10 you should be able to - just download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it (I usually skip the option to enter a key) and then go to activate, enter your 7 key when prompted for a key (if you didn't enter it when installing), and you should be good - I did this with an OEM 7 Pro COA on a PC to install 10 Pro a couple of weeks ago.

9 hours ago, Vince800 said:

Windows 7 is out of mainstream support. No point in buying an outdated OS at this point.

As long as it's still getting OS updates it's just fine to use. 

• Like 2

Windows 10 is perfectly fine and updated regularly. Even if you dislike some of its "features", there are a number of programs that can make it look and feel like Win7 anyway.

9 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft unless you've paid for extended support 

Incorrect, Windows 7 is still getting Security Updates until 2020. 

• Like 2

Windows 7 for 20 bucks?  Seen posts across the internet that you can still use a 7 key for installing 10 (I personally cannot attest to that).  

So, I guess it is up to you.  You might be able to use the 7 key to install 10 ... if you can't ... 7 will get security updates for another 1 year and 10 months after which you'll have another decision.  Choice is yours ... choose wisely.  

9 hours ago, Antigen said:

Hi,

It has:

Amd 9000E CPU

4gb RAM

500 GB HD

Thanks

Which OS did that system originally come with?

Windows Vista

windows-vista-end-of-support.jpg

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

As long as it's still getting OS updates it's just fine to use. 

Yes but only up to 2020, security updates at that. The quoted CPU is fairly recent so it's likely that they'll want more than two years of security only updates.

I would go with Win10.  Really no reason why you shouldnt.  I even have it loaded on a netbook (remember those?) and it runs just fine.  If you were asking the question a couple years ago, I would say stick with 7.

• Like 2

I'd go with Windows 7 and if you want to upgrade to 10, you can as explained already. 7 is supported until 2020 and with any amount of luck, they have something better than 10 out by then! ;)

Make a backup of 7 and if you dislike 10, re-image system.

If your system supports 10, go with 10. No reason to choose an OS with less than 2 years of extended support left.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:13 AM, Antigen said:

Get the Windows 7 license and then activate Windows 10 using that license. Windows 10 still accepts Windows 7 and 8.x keys. Psssst, it's better to not preaching it publically because if this loophole becomes way to popular, MS might be forced to close this loophole due to regulations and/or law.

Getting a Windows 7 key allows you the option of using Windows 7 or Windows 10. However, Windows 10 will offer a much better experience because it has capabilities that are very useful for desktop use that Windows 7 just lacks, such as the ability to natively mount ISO files, VHD files, and better file-copy operations with a progress graph. Windows 10 has native support for newer drivers and has native support for USB 3.x. Windows 10 also has the latest drivers for Microsoft peripherals, such as the Xbox One wireless controller, so they just work immediately after plugging them in, as there is no need to search online to download drivers.

Windows 7 has updating problem in that it takes days or weeks to get the OS up to date after a clean install. There are hundreds, or maybe even over a thousand of individual patches that need to be downloaded and installed, over multiple reboots. This is a very slow process and keeps your PC running slowly and keeps it vulnerable for the first few days or weeks after a fresh install. Windows 10 typically has one cumulative update that gets you up to date with the latest patches, with as little as only one reboot required.

There is some disadvantages to using Windows 10 on older hardware, however. Namely, Windows 10 IS MORE DEMANDING on hardware. Whereas 4GB of RAM is more than sufficient for Windows 7, it is insufficient for a good Windows 10 user experience. That being said, 4GB RAM on PCs is becoming insufficient for web browsing. As web pages and web apps become more complex, with browsers running tabs in individual processes, browsers can eat up a lot of RAM. 8GB is now considered the minimum in 2018.

And Allah knows best.

Best wishes,

Nazmus

There's no reason to be using windows 7 in 2018

Get windows 10 and be done with it, it runs fairly well on a last gen P4 system we still have floating around for some reason 

1 hour ago, Anibal P said:

There's no reason to be using windows 7 in 2018

Get windows 10 and be done with it, it runs fairly well on a last gen P4 system we still have floating around for some reason 

It runs better than 7 did on our Turion 2 laptop heh :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 3:13 AM, Antigen said:

Hi,

It has:

Amd 9000E CPU

4gb RAM

500 GB HD

Thanks

windows 10 is lighter than windows 7 in my experience!

Go with 10. It takes like 15 minutes to disable the things most people hate about it. But most of those I like anyway.