Creating ringtones on iPhone 6?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 1:27 AM, HarryJS said:

Is there an app that i can use to create ringtones on my iPhone without having to resort to a computer?

Not sure why you'd want to go this route.. unless the phone is all you have to work with.  You're going to d/l the app (taking up space) upload the song (taking up space) and then create a ringtone (taking up space)..  it really would be quicker just to use a PC (lots of free apps to use) or Mac (again.. Garageband).

• 2 weeks later...

To the best of my knowledge, you can't make ringtones on iOS anymore, only buy them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. To be clear, what I'm talking about doing is taking an MP3 and cutting it down to 30 seconds and making it a ringtone. GarageBand might be able to make ringtones from the little jams you make with it, but it cannot take an MP3 (or M4A, for that matter) and make it a ringtone. People suggesting GarageBand are disingenuous at best as I feel they know that's not what most people are after when they ask about making a ringtone.

Ringtones on iOS are stored in the iTunes music storage, which AFAIK can only be written to by Apple apps. Maybe GarageBand can write to it, but again, it won't do what we want (unless I am missing something).

It used to be, you could make the ringtone on the computer, convert it to M4R (M4A, or MPEG-4 Audio, with a different extension), import that into iTunes, and sync it over, and it would work. However, Apple has removed this functionality from iTunes. Now they want you to buy ringtones only, and I am not aware of a workaround. The ringtones I've already ported over still work, and I don't really feel the need to make new ones. I am a little sad that I cannot make ringtones for my new favourite band (ONE OK ROCK) and that, in order to do so, I would have to switch back to Android. It is not that big of a deal, but if it were, it would really suck. (I don't dislike Android, I just don't think something so trivial should be exclusive to one platform.)

22 minutes ago, dragontology said:

To the best of my knowledge, you can't make ringtones on iOS anymore, only buy them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. To be clear, what I'm talking about doing is taking an MP3 and cutting it down to 30 seconds and making it a ringtone. GarageBand might be able to make ringtones from the little jams you make with it, but it cannot take an MP3 (or M4A, for that matter) and make it a ringtone. People suggesting GarageBand are disingenuous at best as I feel they know that's not what most people are after when they ask about making a ringtone.

Ringtones on iOS are stored in the iTunes music storage, which AFAIK can only be written to by Apple apps. Maybe GarageBand can write to it, but again, it won't do what we want (unless I am missing something).

It used to be, you could make the ringtone on the computer, convert it to M4R (M4A, or MPEG-4 Audio, with a different extension), import that into iTunes, and sync it over, and it would work. However, Apple has removed this functionality from iTunes. Now they want you to buy ringtones only, and I am not aware of a workaround. The ringtones I've already ported over still work, and I don't really feel the need to make new ones. I am a little sad that I cannot make ringtones for my new favourite band (ONE OK ROCK) and that, in order to do so, I would have to switch back to Android. It is not that big of a deal, but if it were, it would really suck. (I don't dislike Android, I just don't think something so trivial should be exclusive to one platform.)

You are hereby corrected.  You can make and import ringtones to iphones.

Alright, commence with the correcting. I will literally be here all night. Show me how I can take a song, an existing MP3, cut it down to the requisite time, and get it on my non-jailbroken iPhone 6s running iOS 11.3, and use it as a ringtone when a person calls.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, only as specific as possible. I think we are talking about different things, and your lack of an explanation leads me to believe that is true.

3 hours ago, Jazmac said:

You are hereby corrected.  You can make and import ringtones to iphones.

You alright buddy? Stumble into TV Tropes and get lost for three hours? Still waiting on that correction. And I'm not the only one who wants to know.

I'm guessing you're talking about something only available with jailbreak, or you weren't aware that Apple took the feature out of iTunes.

4 hours ago, dragontology said:

People suggesting GarageBand are disingenuous at best as I feel they know that's not what most people are after when they ask about making a ringtone.

:(  Hey now, my suggestions were for a one post wonder and after doing a two second search on Google (I don't own an iPhone). 

I was waiting for another one post wonder to suggest some software...if you know what I mean. ;) 

3 hours ago, dragontology said:

You alright buddy? Stumble into TV Tropes and get lost for three hours? Still waiting on that correction. And I'm not the only one who wants to know.

I'm guessing you're talking about something only available with jailbreak, or you weren't aware that Apple took the feature out of iTunes.

My iPhone 6 isn't jailbroken.  The ringtones I have on it was put on by me.  Are you on crack? Why won't you just ask a question like normal people without the elementary school, snot nosed remarks. This is a tech board where people exchange ideas and assist.  SMDH.

9 hours ago, Jim K said:

:(  Hey now, my suggestions were for a one post wonder and after doing a two second search on Google (I don't own an iPhone). 

I was waiting for another one post wonder to suggest some software...if you know what I mean. ;) 

Well, it's a disingenuous suggestion from those who know better. Thanks for trying to help with a device you don't own. It's not unappreciated.

GarageBand is an app for making music (as you probably knew or figured out from the search). There are some interesting tutorials on it on YouTube for creating popular songs. Bands can, in theory, use it to create production quality music. I have no musical talent, so I just open up the virtual keyboard or the virtual guitar and let toddlers play with it. They love hearing how it makes so many different sounds.

6 hours ago, Jazmac said:

My iPhone 6 isn't jailbroken.  The ringtones I have on it was put on by me.  Are you on crack? Why won't you just ask a question like normal people without the elementary school, snot nosed remarks. This is a tech board where people exchange ideas and assist.  SMDH.

Ah, so you were unaware that Apple removed the feature. I have ringtones on my iPhone 6s that I made as well. But Apple closed that door. I'd say you should edit your "elementary school, snot nosed remark," as you put it, but we don't have an edit feature on this forum (past a minute or two, I think).

You had me thinking there was still a way, and there isn't. So I am not "hereby corrected" as you said.

6 hours ago, slamfire92 said:

You have to cut them to 30 sec save as m4p and then change the file ext to m4r.

Yeah, that used to be the procedure (m4a, not m4p), but Apple took that functionality away last year.

22 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Well, it's a disingenuous suggestion from those who know better. Thanks for trying to help with a device you don't own. It's not unappreciated.

GarageBand is an app for making music (as you probably knew or figured out from the search). There are some interesting tutorials on it on YouTube for creating popular songs. Bands can, in theory, use it to create production quality music. I have no musical talent, so I just open up the virtual keyboard or the virtual guitar and let toddlers play with it. They love hearing how it makes so many different sounds.

Ah, so you were unaware that Apple removed the feature. I have ringtones on my iPhone 6s that I made as well. But Apple closed that door. I'd say you should edit your "elementary school, snot nosed remark," as you put it, but we don't have an edit feature on this forum (past a minute or two, I think).

You had me thinking there was still a way, and there isn't. So I am not "hereby corrected" as you said.

Yeah, that used to be the procedure (m4a, not m4p), but Apple took that functionality away last year.

I open an mp3 in a program called Wavepad. From there, I would trim the tune, and save as an m4a, then just change the file ext. to m4r.

Once you have done all that,  I believe you just plug your phone in and copy them over in explorer.

7 hours ago, slamfire92 said:

I open an mp3 in a program called Wavepad. From there, I would trim the tune, and save as an m4a, then just change the file ext. to m4r.

Once you have done all that,  I believe you just plug your phone in and copy them over in explorer.

Yeah, that's not how iOS works at all. You can open an iPhone in Windows Explorer, but the only folder iOS  allows access to is the photos folder. Just like a digital camera. It's not like Android where there's a ringtones folder you can just drop ringtones in.

9 hours ago, dragontology said:

Yeah, that's not how iOS works at all. You can open an iPhone in Windows Explorer, but the only folder iOS  allows access to is the photos folder. Just like a digital camera. It's not like Android where there's a ringtones folder you can just drop ringtones in.

Apologies for being mistaken. I had an iPhone 6 up until recently and used custom ringtones. I had made up a bunch, copied them over and not done anything with them from that point.

Maybe try sticking a folder with your custom m4r files inside the iTunes music library and try to sink them over that way. Once they're on the phone, you should be able to select them.

Had the change occurred prior to this article (Nov 2017)?

https://www.howtogeek.com/248489/how-to-add-custom-ringtones-to-your-iphone/

This might be what you're after (March 2018):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207955

Move custom ringtones from iTunes to your iOS device

If you have a custom ringtone or tone in iTunes on your Mac or PC that you want to move to your iOS device, you can manually add it to your device using iTunes.

1. Connect your device to your computer.

2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.

3. On your computer, find the ringtone or tone that you want to add to your device. If the ringtone or tone previously appeared in your iTunes library,  you can find it in the Tones or Ringtones folders of your iTunes media folder. If you created a ringtone in GarageBand on Mac and then shared it to iTunes, it might be in an Import folder. 

4. Select the tone that you want to add to your device and copy it. (You can use a keyboard shortcut.)

5. Return to iTunes and go to the Library tab of Music.

6. Click on your device in the left sidebar, then click Tones.

7. Paste your tone. (You can use a keyboard shortcut.)

Edited by slamfire92