Sign in to follow this  

3D Modelling - Software decision

Cosmin    23

Hi. I have a very specific question..

I'd like to find out from 3D enthusiasts if the direction for my learning program is the right one in terms of perspective. I'm trying to decide if continuing learning Autodesk 3Ds max (I have already 3 month on this) is a real benefit simply compared with Autodesk Maya, which I haven't touched yet mainly scared by it's menu-based workflow and even interface. I'm asking this because I've heard that Maya takes more-and-more from the market and learning it could give a very interesting perspective. 

Pretty much interested at the beginning in : 3D modelling-texturing-rendering. Maya has mostly benefits on animations..haven't interact yet with animation so I don't know what to add here.

Thanks for your sincerely opinion!

Snake89    233

This all comes down to your own personal preference. The only real difference between the two programs is pretty much just the UI. So it comes down to are you plan on getting a job with doing 3d modelling or is it just something you want to do for fun.

Alot of companies out there use maya, but it never hurts to learn both Max and Maya. Then after learning both of them, then I would move onto learning Houdini for special effects etc.

Cosmin    23

Well..even the workflow seems to be different, in terms of modelling max is superior but for animation purpose maya becomes leader. 

Alot of companies out there use maya,

Yes.. that's an important factor in terms of perspective and..my future plan is also to take in consideration 3D modelling for a potential job. Until reaching a job there's a lot of learning of course but I'm prepared for this challenge.

You have experience in any of these 2? 

Snake89    233

Giving that you plan on doing modelling for a future career path you pretty much only need a very small idea on how this programs work. Each and every company has their own pipelines, workflows, plugins for different programs.

Here's a small list of things companies might use:

Maya or Max, Houdini, Zbrush, Modo, Mudbox. Alot of others

Substance Designer for Material Creation

Marvelous Designer for creating 3d Clothes

One the biggest things you need to do is have a great online profolio on sites such as Deviantart, Cgsociety, Artstation, etc.

Right now I've been trying to get into 3d programs and C++ programming lately myself. But right now I've been trying to find and learn about what companies really use in every day, so that's how I came across these programs.

If you already started to learn 3D Max, then just stick to it. Then once you get better an if you feel the need to move onto a different program then go for it.

Cosmin    23

I understand your point.. thanks!