DriveBender for Synology NAS

Hey guys.

So, Does anyone happen to know of a software raid solution for Synology NAS, something like Drive Bender?

Reason: I like how i can evict drives from DB, without having to back everything up first, destroy the pool, and have to re-create.

Yes, i am using raid 0, so i cannot just yank a drive out to replace :)

I find Synology's raid offering pretty clunky, albeit works great!

But i want to replace a 2TB drive, with a 6TB drive.. and DB is just so much easier!

Any thoughts would be great! i have posted on the Synology forum as well... no replies!

Software Raid on Propriety based NAS, nope you can't do that, you can do it only on FreeNAS or NAS4free etc...

13 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Wouldn't a software RAID type app like that defeat the purpose/performance of the hardware RAID device?

Quite probably, but i am not at all interested in the overall performance, as i primarily use my synology to backup my photos and files, mostly from my mobiles using moments... just find hardware raid a pain :) 

8 minutes ago, Xahid said:

Software Raid on Propriety based NAS, nope you can't do that, you can do it only on FreeNAS or NAS4free etc...

Cheers... worth asking the que all the same :)

I loved the drivepool from stablebit.  But recently got a DS918+, and no they do not have anything close to what you could do with drivepool.

I went with a SHR, I do believe from everything I have read that you can remove a disk and put in a larger disk to expand the size of the array.  It just takes forever ;)  When I added 3rd 4TB to my existing 2X4TB SHR it took about 2 days to finish up and expand it.

I loved how in drivepool I could just pick folders or files that I wanted to be on multiple disks in the pool, be it 2 or 3 or 4+ disks that made up the pool.

If you find a solution please post it.  But I personally should not have to expand this array until time to get new storage all together to be honest.  With changing media to h265 (hevc) can see a huge reduction in the size of the media, etc.

But  if any of these disks show signs of failure then I would prob replace them with a 6TB or 8TB disk.. Depending on which size gives you most bang for the buck at that time.