POE Avaya switch question.

hello everybody.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I am having issues so I just figured I would ask.

A buddy has one of these  POE Avaya switches that he just got for free, He is not using it for any POE accessories but he does want to use it for his network.

there is no reset button or switch so I'm not sure if it was set for anything weird, But it is not working as a normal switch.

It is just doing nothing, Like possible it is dead.

This thing should just work as a regular switch shouldn't it?

Or is it only to run the Avaya phone systems that the guy has at his work??

I figured it would just work as a regular switch, Like any other POE switch I have used.

maybe this is different because its used for phone systems, I don't know.

Help please.

I have thought about that.

I just cannot do that without a reset button, or hole I do not see.

I have tried logging into it but I do not find it on my network when I plug it in.

Thank you

I'm pretty sure the Avaya switches are just meant for the Avaya Phone Systems.

Oh and the model number is, 

4550T-PWR

I just took it apart and found what looks like a reset switch inside, Ill find out and re-post.

thank you

21 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

I'm pretty sure the Avaya switches are just meant for the Avaya Phone Systems.

You may be right, It still does not perform regular network switching at all. Well that is too bad.

I stand corrected (I should know this we use Avaya desk phones and Avaya Spectralink phones at work...) it should actually work for regular networking.

Just now, AOXOMOXOA said:

Well I do not have any phones so that wont work. I saw this site at the start.

thank you.

It should still help you reset the switch to factory defaults so that it gets a DHCP address.

It not even worth FREE... Sorry - its a 10/100 switch even if you reset it.  Unless you were going to use it to power your phones or maybe camera's (low res) its pretty useless as a networking switch to be honest..

How many ports do you need?  You can pick up a smart gig 8 port switch for like 30$ why would you want such a beast sucking up power at 10/100... POE switches even if not supply poe are not power friendly sort of switches.  IE they are not green in any way.

Giving it to you for free is cheaper than disposing of it correctly ;)  Now its on you to dispose of correctly for such electronics...

Its JUNK!!  While it does have full management features and could do L3, etc..  Other than some LAB you were building it really has zero use in the home..