What Linux distro for use on hyper-v

StrikedOut

What would you all recommend to someone who want to learn more about Linux? I spend my life on Windows and have installed and played around with Ubuntu and Mint a couple of times but lost interest. I am in the process of installing Windows Server 2016 and will be install Hyper-V to play with some variations of Linux but want some ideas on what to do to learn more about the running and administering of both a client and server?

Jim K

I went ahead a split your question into its own thread. I really do not have an answer (Linux isn't really my area of expertise)...but hopefully someone can give you sound advice. If you want the title changed...just let me know.

Mindovermaster

If you really want to learn the insides and outs of Linux, use Arch. But as I see you are rather new, I'd get Debian.

GrayW

Server side:

DEB: Ubuntu https://www.ubuntu.com/ - Not my personal choice but everyone and their dog is happy to use it. Also as @Mindovermaster mentioned, you could just go plain old Debian: https://www.debian.org/distrib/ too.

RPM: CentOS: https://www.centos.org/ - This is pretty much RedHat without the licensing fees. My go-to choice whenever possible. A lot of people will just go straight out and change SELinux to permissive. Take the time to work with it, not fight it if you can... easier said than done sometimes though.

Client side:

Ubuntu: https://www.ubuntu.com/ - Again, not my personal choice but so much support out there for everything

Fedora: https://getfedora.org/- The client side of RedHat/CentOS. Their server offering is cool to play with too

openSUSE: https://www.opensuse.org/ - My personal fav. I can't tell you why but it just feels right for me, and that is the joy of Linux. There's something a little different for everyone! Will also give you a feel for how SUSE server would act.

Arch: https://archlinux.org/ is also fantastic, and definitely something you should look into once you have a good grounding. There is just no beating the AUR for package availability https://aur.archlinux.org/

I'm a VMware person, so not sure about HyperV and snapshots, but whatever the equivalent is, make use of them and BREAK things so you can learn how/if you can fix it.

Oh, and if you're not sure which desktop environment to choose when experimenting... KDE: https://www.kde.org/plasma-desktop.php all the way ;).

There's so much more out there too, although these are probably the most popular. Enjoy the journey, it's awesome.

satukoro

I recommend Ubuntu (Budgie or Gnome) to get a Linux 101 experience.

darkz

CrunchBang++. It's Debian based too, so fairly easy, still has a lot of GUI tools, if You're bored with that then I would suggest Arch

• 2 months later...
linettereed

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS runs great on Hyper-V server. I am also running on FTP server and gitlab server on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and they all are working fine and pretty stable. I would certainly suggest it for Hyper-V at any point of time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      The GNOME project launches Circle dev programme
      by Paul Hill

The GNOME project has announced the launch of GNOME Circle, a new initiative that it hopes will widen its developer outreach. Developers that build on the GNOME platform and make their software open-source will be able to join GNOME Circle and have access to several benefits.

By becoming a part of the GNOME Circle, developers will receive promotion and advertising for their programs so that they can reach a wider audience. Developers also qualify for GNOME Foundation membership which gives access to travel, marketing funds, and services including an @gnome.org email address, blog hosting, video conferencing, and a gnome.org Nextcloud account.

To be a part of the GNOME project in the past projects needed to be hosted on GNOME infrastructure and follow GNOME’s development rules. These rules were a barrier for entry for developers that were focused on their own personal projects and by launching Circle, it should be easier for developers to become more involved with the GNOME platform.

Under the new rules, the software must be open-source and use the GNOME platform. Developers of both programs and libraries can apply to join and don’t need to host their software on GNOME infrastructure nor do they have to follow the GNOME release cycle.

Commenting on GNOME Circle, GNOME Foundation Executive Director Neil McGovern said:

To learn more about GNOME Circle be sure to head over the project’s webpage. If you are a developer that’s interested in joining Circle, you’ll have to fill in a simple application form.

• By Namerah S
      Metro Exodus announced for the PS5 and Xbox series X|S
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Amidst celebrations of the tenth anniversary of its first-person shooter franchise, 4A Games has announced that Metro Exodus will be landing on the next-generation of consoles. In addition to the newly revealed console variants, the video game developer also stated that Linux and macOS versions of the game are also in the works.

While no exact details were provided, the game's makers did confirm free next-gen upgrades as have become the industry norm. Faster frame rates, better resolution, quicker loading times, and other enhanced features such as ray tracing were also detailed for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S variants of Metro Exodus.

4A Games further revealed that the next game in the Metro series is already under development. The Ukrainian-Maltese video game developer commented:

While the game dev did confirm its commitment to creating a 'story driven single player experience' for the next instalment in the franchise, it also mentioned the existence of a multiplayer mode. As the upcoming Metro title is still in the early phase of production, no concrete decisions about the two game modes have been made yet.

For now, we'll have to sit tight and wait for further details to be shared by the creators of Metro Exodus on all fronts. No release date for the next-gen version of the third Metro game or its Linux and macOS variants has been disclosed yet.

• By zikalify
      Fedora 31 will reach its end of life next Tuesday
      by Paul Hill

The Fedora Project has announced that Fedora 31 will reach its end of life on 24 November 2020. The announcement comes just weeks after the launch of Fedora 33 which included GNOME 3.38 and BTRFS as the default file system.

After next Tuesday, Fedora 31 will stop receiving vital security updates leaving your system open to exploitation as new vulnerabilities are discovered. To make sure that your system stays protected, you should upgrade to a later version; to do this, simply open Software and go to the Updates tab, there you should see a bigger banner offering you a Fedora upgrade.

Once you begin the upgrade with this method, the required files will be downloaded and then your system will ask to reboot to install the files in a similar fashion to how normal updates work. When the upgrade is complete, the system will automatically reboot into the new release.

In the Fedora documentation, it says:

If you do not want to upgrade your system, you also have the option of downloading a fresh copy of Fedora 33 which was released last month. Whether you upgrade your system or do a clean install, ensure that you’ve backed up all of your important files.

• By Ather Fawaz
      The new Intel Open FPGA Stack is geared towards easing development of custom platforms
      by Ather Fawaz

Today at the Intel FPGA Technology Day, Intel showed off its newest offering in the eASIC lineup, the eASIC N5X. Alongside it, the tech giant also debuted its Open FPGA Stack (Intel OFS), a scalable, source-accessible hardware and software infrastructure meant to power customized, high-performance workloads.

Distributed via git repositories, the Intel OFS will be geared towards easing the process of development and deployment on FPGAs by enabling greater code reusability and modularity. Vendors will be able to provide native support to third parties and proprietary Intel-OFS platforms, this would lead to greater portability across Intel FPGA platforms and enable native support across major OS vendor distributions. All of this would lead to a smaller barrier to entry, enabling increased adoption of FPGAs in the industry.

"With the proven success from our early-access customers, we are excited to launch the Intel Open FPGA Stack, with its demonstrated ability to dramatically both reduce the development time and also increase code and hardware design reuse for customers and partners looking to accelerate their workloads,” said Dave Moore, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of the Programmable Solutions Group.

If you are interested in trying out Intel OFS, it is currently in early access. For details on that, as a starting point, you should contact an Intel sales representative. The firm aims to provide assistance regarding the same over the next year. For more details, you may refer to this blog post.

• By PNWDweller
      About 3 months ago I switched my  Operating system to Arch after being a distro hopper playing around with the Ubuntu Variants and never feeling quite satisfied.  Where I work, we use Ubuntu based systems and I have grown quite comfortable in the command line experience and I felt like it was time to switch to a different OS.  Until then, I had used and have experience in Centos, Ubuntu, Solus linux and Fedora Linux.  What drove me to switch and make the choice to switch over, I  was getting tired of reading about kernel updates being pushed out fixing security bugs and also adding different functions.  While I can honestly say that my day to day activities don't require the latest and greatest kernel and software, it made sense to me especially when I would read about new software being released and then days or weeks before Canonical would certify it and release it to the general community.  I understand why they do this and I chose to move on. 

Arch itself tends to hold the notion that you have to compile all the software you want to use and it's a harder system to use.  I can honestly say that this is partially true, but what people fail to tell you is that the compiling is done automatically by the package manager (Pacman in this case).  If you are comfortable with the command line, and even if not, you can certainly install Arch or use an installer to do it for you.  I used Anarchy installer which basically formats your drive for you, and you select whatever software you want and then it installs it.  It does the heavy lifting.  When finished, you are booted into your Shiny new Arch system with the Desktop Environment you chose.  In my case, it is always KDE.

When I moved to Arch, I quickly found that not only do I have access to the latest and greatest builds, but also a lot of the alpha/beta versions of software.  For instance, I am running the "Bleeding Edge" version of Thunderbird mail which is in the alpha channels for testing.  You can't always do this with other systems.  i also have been able to experiment with different kernel versions.  Usually when I get updates, I have the most recent stable kernel release. 

For things I have done with Arch - aside from my Desktop, I have a PXE boot server installed on my NAS which is also using Arch and other server software on it.  My PXE server allows me to boot into clonezilla or fresh install Arch if I need to (really don't need to), without having any external installation media handy (Thumb drives usually).

Anyway, I have found my final Operating System and couldn't be any happier!